ChoiceScriptDev Wikia

@irule9334 No! You can’t have two 100th comments in one day.

@Trywm I think that there is already some articles on that here: http://www.choiceofgames.com/category/blog/game-design/

@Trywm As a wiki it’s very much a place for clarity and reference, it’s not strictly speaking a substitute for a proper guide or tutorial.

It’s also more geared toward the technical aspects of Choicescript, the ability to write well is something the individual needs to be capable of outside of scripting the game.

I know there are already a few passages on good game structure/flow and meaningful choices etc. If you want to search for them, they’re pretty insightful.

I’m not saying we can’t include further articles with more relation to what you’re suggesting but I would say that I personally want to avoid telling people how best to setup and progress their game. I think choice design and stat screen layout is something that can’t really be done right or wrong, but can be done very differently, from person to person.

COGs own articles do cover some good points though, as @ItalionStailon suggests.

I noticed the discussion about WIP game pages above. Sorry if I’m late to the party, but the reason I never made a WIP game page for my game is because I didn’t realize it was open to everyone. I thought it was something only for the bigger, more popular games, and so I felt like it’d be frowned on/presumptuous to make my own. Reading the comments here, however, makes me realize that I’m wrong.

Open to everyone afaik, feel free to make one then PM @AlexCosarca to get it added to the hub list. :slight_smile:

Update
Implemented ‘spotlights’ for the front page (relevant wiki news(?)) and the games hub page - also added a logo for the latter.

The spotlight games can be and will be changed over time, currently they are the only three games with artwork, there is no other reason for them having got the spot first over anyone else, so… Artwork people! :wink:

Working on a ChoiceScript Game?

The ChoiceScriptDev Wiki Admin would like to invite fellow authors to each add a page for their game to the Wiki’s “Works in Progress” section. In time we expect this “ChoiceScript WIP Games Hub” to become a focal point for players and playtesters, being then an ideal way to easily check out all the games, find the latest demo links and related stuff, and perhaps even glimpse into the minds of some of the authors and discover their aims and motivations.

Step 1: Create a Wiki User ID for yourself if you don’t already have one:

http://choicescriptdev.wikia.com/wiki/Special:UserSignup

Step 2: Check out some existing WIPs pages:

Step 3: Click the “Contribute” menu top-right and select “Add a Page”. Give that page the exact same name as your game, spaces included. The new page editor will then load.

Add the essential basic requirements, as follows:

• Your Game Title
  • Playthru Time: (e.g. 20+ mins)
  • Genre:
  • Rating: (e.g. ‘E’ Suitable for age 10+, ‘T’ 13+, ‘M’ 17+, ‘A’ 18+)
  • Demo Link: (actual link to play / view concept material)
  • Game Description: Tell readers what your game is all about

Optional Additional Info:

• Author: (name)
  • About the Author: Tell readers a bit about you
  • Designer’s Notes: What are your aims and motivations?
  • Game Discussion Thread: (direct forum link)
  • Other Related Links: (e.g. Website, Facebook, Twitter, Reviews, etc.)
  • Game Artwork and / or screenshots
  • Anything else worth including of possible interest to readers

Step 4: “Publish” (save) the page, using the button over on the right.

Step 5: Post in this thread that your page (name) is complete. It will be verified by an Admin member and added to the “Works in Progress” section of the Wiki. You will be able to edit your game page to update the info there as often as you like.

We hope you’ll take a little time to help us grow the Wiki’s “WIP Games Hub” into a useful service for the community as a whole, both authors and players alike.

Please don’t hesitate to post here if you have any questions or suggestions.

I went ahead and added my own game to the WIP hub called Blood for Poppies. Here’s the link http://choicescriptdev.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_For_Poppies

Added! :slight_smile:

Just moved the image a little to keep things tidy.

Thanks, @CJW! :smiley:

So i was just on the wiki first time in a while

And BANG! I was looking at two of my drawings…pretty sweet

lol ur everywhere strider almost all the artwork that is put in a game is made by u

This thread needs to be stuck at the top of the forum with those others.

@fantom, well, there’s already the “I need help with ChoiceScript! What do I do?” thread that’s stickied and that’s linking the wiki.

Put up my own game on the WIP Hub!

@CJW Hey, after I’m good and settled with my demo (after I’ve worked out all the kinks to the point where I feel comfortable calling the demo really ‘official’), I’ll try to work on that ‘simple’ tutorial, like we discussed.

I have created a WIP page for my game (Life in Ancient Greece)

@BlueOwl358 Added it! :slight_smile:

I created a WIP page for medieval moments

@assassinsat Added! :slight_smile:

@cjw thanks

So there’s been quite a few changes to Choicescript recently, and very few changes (if any) to the wiki.

I’m hoping to try and remedy this, so I thought I’d just post here and see if anyone has noticed anything in-particular that needs doing. Anything at all.

I know there’s the obvious changes to *temp/*create and being able to define *scene_list in the CS files (making mygame.js unnecessary) - but I’ve undoubtedly forgot some other bits and bobs, so if anything comes to mind, please do let me know!

And on a related note, the admins have decided to allow open editing, so anyone with a wikia account can edit the wiki. It’s just going to be constantly out of date otherwise. The only issue with that is we need to unlock each page one by one, which I’ll try to remember to do as I make amendments. But there is a lot of pages, so it may be something of a long-term migration!

EDIT: Just remembered achievements are implemented now? Have any published authors utilized these yet? It’s not something I’m able to test (so know nothing about).