Choice Script Changes To Run Tests With Firefox ver 68 ( See Post 12 & 31)

This is simply terrible. I can’t even upload the folder. Does anybody know how to upload the choicescript folder?

Here’s what I did:
I placed the .txt files in the scenes folder of the updated CS I downloaded from Github
clicked the browse button in my firefox browser
selected the scenes folder but it just keeps on opening and showing my .txt files instead.
tried dragging the folder to the empty space before the browse button but it only shows the directory.
when i click index.html still it redirects to the upload folder page.

Please help.

Did you try the instructions from my post right before yours? Install Node, double click on run-server.bat or serve.command? That eliminates the need to do the upload thing.

1 Like

No. Is there another option where I don’t have to install Node? In case I use a public computer to run CS stuff.

Unfortunately the options are extremely limited.

You can use CSIDE. That’s a great and easy option for most people, though it doesn’t help your issue with using a public computer.

1 Like

I guess the thing to do is to help you figure out the upload. Are you on Windows?

Using the github, non-Node version, I’ve been able to get good results using the Upload method.

However, I can’t seem to get line coverage statistics to work. All the other options are successful, but not that one. I’m using Firefox. Does anyone else have similar results?

Thanks for patching this!

@dfabulich Yes. I’m on Windows using firefox ver. 6.0.2

For those looking to downgrade Firefox, this is a good guide. Downgrade to version 67.0.

Now, you’ll need to follow THESE STEPS to disable updates, or Firefox will upgrade you again. This should leave you with a stable build that can run the Choicescript tests.

It’s not an optimal solution, but once it’s done you won’t have to screw around with anything else for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Would ChoiceScript work without hassle if you run the game on localhost server (and as such, access it via http)?

Yes. That’s what the run-server.bat and serve.command tools do.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve done for the time being. Just bear in mind, the longer it stays downgraded for, the more security risks that could potentially pop up so may need to consider using a different web browser for general internet stuff.

Speaking personally, I don’t recommend downgrading Firefox. I think if you try the new run-server.bat and/or serve.command stuff, it will work, and you’ll even prefer it to the old way, because you can use any browser you like.

2 Likes

Absolutely. For me, personally, I only use Firefox for testing, so I could keep it downgraded for years and it won’t matter to me at all. Of course other folks’ mileage may vary.

I’ll try out Dan’s new way too at some point.

4 Likes

My issue with trying to use run-server .bat is that it kept saying “can’t locate system 32” or something like that. :flushed:

1 Like

I’m having trouble with - overnight Firefox has updated and this morning when I test the game it says Cannot load scenes
I’m really confused how I can test the game now? I don’t mean quicktest and random test as I use CSIDE for that, but more basically just check what I have written and so on?
Chrome doesn’t worj either

I downgraded to previous version, disabled auto updates and this seems ok

What a strssful start to the day!

Sorry you are experiencing difficulties.

The following should help:

Refer to the post for the entire procedure to follow.

Thank you for your help, I had a panic attack that it was all lost -apologies
I have downgraded firefox to where it was before, turned off updates and it is working now.
I do all my testing in CSIDE and use firefox to see the game so I should be ok barring any other complication
I will calm down a bit now before doing anything else

2 Likes

I have my firefox downgraded and in a external hard drive so no way in hell connects to the internet. As I only plugin it offline. I still code on phone just I can’t test it anymore having to wait to be in pc range.

2 Likes

Throwing it out there: for people who insist on downgrading Firefox, you can instead download an old portable version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./
Grab any v67. Install it wherever you want, then disable automatic update in options.

It can work purely as a CS-only browser. It doesn’t share any data with the main up-to-date Firefox, you can run both browsers in tandem and you can store it just about anywhere (usb stick, external/internal drive, etc)

Do not surf web with portable version and you’d be set. Or better yet block its access to internet in your firewall.

4 Likes

Yesterday morning i was happily working on a new Choicescript game.
Today, firefox says it can’t find “startup.txt”.

The files are there.

So i went back and tried to run my old CS games, they don’t work either. Same error, but the files are all still there.firefox%20error

Please help!