"Choice of the Viking"—Forge a legacy in a land of gods and giants!

Oh that’s great! There’s still lots of work to be done about connections between religions in the North. Do you happen to remember what your conclusions were?

Who are the four LI?

im pretty sure Grim and Geirrid. Is she the only female cause that would be a bummer, with it being weird she semi raised you…

2 Likes

The ROs are Geirrid, Halldor, Leikny, and (sort of) Grim.

3 Likes

Sadly those old school papers are long gone. I do remember arguing that the religions had been more united before the rise of Odin’s importance superseding Thor as chief god, and speculated that it might have happened as the Nordic tribes began uniting and focus shifted from aggressive raiding to “sneaky” skills like trade. The prof rightly dinged me hard for talking out my ass which I pretty much was. He pointed out that with what little we knew at the time it was just as possible that Perun was such a cool god the Norse invaders added him to their pantheon and Thor was the transplant.

2 Likes

@dctaggart First off, I LOVE the story, world & implementations that you’ve crafted! Thank you for such an amazing interactive story & experience :slight_smile:

The second item(and I apologize if this isn’t the place to bring it up), I believe there may be a bug in chapter 2? it seems that if we have the nickname “ghost-tongues” we’re not able to select the “Collect information: watch the lands’ spirits through my second sight.” option in chapter 2.

Is this meant to be the case? I’m trying out a more magic/spirits oriented character & found it strange that they couldn’t select this option.

Thank you again!

4 Likes

That’s so nice of you to say! Thank you! I’m really glad you like it.

Regarding your second item, it’s not really a bug. It was there to sort out a slight continuity problem that could come up, with the second chapter happening chronologically before the first. But it is definitely confusing, so hopefully it should be changed pretty soon.

Thanks!

2 Likes

haha. It is a really creative take though, even if it isn’t one I can think of much evidence for. If I’d been doing the marking, you would have gotten points for originality, for sure. Students can find it difficult to come up with original viewpoints in Old Norse studies, especially at undergrad, because the field can be quite technical.

1 Like

I love this game so much. I’ve also been playing Assassin’s Creed Valhalla recently so my vikingr meter is kind of turned up to 11 and the knob torn off.

I’ve been able to do pretty much what I’ve wanted so far, with logical results from my choices, but I’ve played through twice now trying to romance Halldor and I can’t seem to figure out the death knell that keeps him from being an option after the All Thing.

1 Like

Yeah female is just Gerrid even though shes apparently close to your dad’s age I remember it saying. Weird as hell.

1 Like

That bothered me too! I adored Halldor, and I even risked the wrath of Geirrid (a fearsome, fearsome thing!) standing up for him, but he dropped me like a hot potato anyway.

1 Like

I romanced Halldor and sided with him over Geirridr. He came to my hall at the Yule feast and I was even able to propose to him. I was under the impression that I had to kill Snorri to save him from being sacrificed by his own dad. But he was heartbroken over Snorri’s death and ended up leading a battle against me, so… :person_shrugging:.

1 Like

I’m trying a third time with the aim of the “become friends with Snorri” achievement. I’ll report back if that does the trick. Halldor will be mine!

1 Like

She is definitely not close to your dad’s age :rofl:. Her parents sent her to your house as a kid to pay off a debt or something, and she ended up staying there. She’s just a few years older than you. In one of the dialogue options, you can say that you see her as an older sister.

2 Likes

That’s art doesn’t do it justice gonna be honest

5 Likes

I agree. I saw her picture and decided that she was a hard pass until I realized that she is the only female RO.

5 Likes

Does it ever reveal who her baby daddy is? I assumed she was older based of her pic and early text, also the fact she has a kid already.

1 Like

Ya, her parents are Sami. They sent her to work for your family and she ended up living with you.

Edit: Oh wait… I got confused :sweat_smile:. I don’t know who the baby daddy is.

1 Like

Yeah i remember that text, though she also said she used to spank our MC ass (or something to that effect, im not remembering the exact quote) which didnt help the case to make her seem more than a bit older in my mind.

How do i get the alternate afterlife achievement?

The game was an interesting experience do not get me wrong it is far from the Viking Age novels you can purchase (remembering Odin’s Game by Tim Hodkinson,the best homage to Iceland I’ve seen on a historical novel) out there but it is a worthy attempt of potraying historical characters often left behind (like your father,Snorri and Norwegian interference on Icelandic politics of the age, how it is implied that the residents of the island are exiles coming to Iceland as political refugees, many due to Harald’s ascension to power) and the inner workings of Icelandic society by the SX century.

Your actions truly do have consequences in this one and the Iceland we all know and love can go through a much smoother path or being a bigger lickass/subordinate to Norway than in actual history.

The mythological aspects were well intertwined with the management of the farm/colony, the allthing presence during the whole novel was accurate and giving successful arguments to the gathering was incredibly satisfying other dynamics(almost heretical) like bringing down the allthing added some extra tensións and meaning to the interactions.

On my playthrough was able to become this popular figure able to unite all interests and be proclaimed King of all Iceland, Eyvaldr “The Handsome” was my vessel through the troublesome land of ice.

Concerning life in Iceland perphaps the game could have included more viking festivities and games, a scene where we see some lads playing or doing it ourselves on the flashbacks Knattleikr, that game is one of those cultural expressions you cannot leave behind, the setting felt empty at times like it could have taken place in other parts of the Scandinavian world with little difference.

But for me what the game lacked the most and gave give far less focus than it should have was the romance, more female RO would also have made the novel better as a dude playing the thing I only have one option as a lover that I didn’t like much but regarding “romantic/love scenes” it fell short, offering the readers such moments on the MC’s life, why not allow a choose the genders of the RO option? That would have fixed the problem with the same cast.

In conclusion it was a good game but one where much could be improved upon, the developer showcased an impressive amount of knowledge on the era and could keep producing interesting COG novels based on the political scene, life and culture of the Viking Age.

Good job, would love to read more from you writer!

Edit:The art was amazing for this game, usually I dislike how you lads on COG handle the artistic part of the novels but this time you’ve really outdone yourselves.

2 Likes