Choice of the Petal Throne: Rise to glory on the battlefields of Tékumel™!

Setting spoilers ahoy! Nothing that deals directly with the game plot.

@Sneaks The planet Tékumel just has almost no metal deposits naturally. It was settled as a vacation destination and pleasure planet by a civilization that resembles Star Trek, and all the metal was shipped in. Then, somehow–some people say technological accident, some people blame the gods, there is no canonical answer–its solar system got sucked into a self-contained pocket dimension. The Star Trek civilization had used a clean source of power that involved bleeding off inter-dimensional energy to power all their technology. In the dimension the walls of reality are thinner, so most technology has a chance of exploding whenever its used, because it draws too much power. Civilization fell because all the technology stopped working, and now, far in the future it has rebuilt itself in a new form. So yes, it’s a post-apocalyptic setting. Conversely, in the dimension human psychic powers work really well and approach the level of D&D magic.

There are a lot of aliens and alien creatures because it was a vacation destination with lots of tourists and zoos and parks. Last note, the gods and reincarnation seem to be unique to the bubble, in terms of how aware people are of them, but it’s unclear to me to what extent they exist outside the bubble.

Plot specific spoilers:

The robot had a broom because I thought it was funny and sad to have a robot janitor trapped down beneath the earth endlessly sweeping, and because an aspect of Tékumel dungeon crawls is that you find mundane items made of wondrous materials and re-purpose them.

in Tékumel Prime, Mirusíya defeats Dhichuné and has him besieged in Avanthár, but at the last minute, an Undying Wizard, which is sort of like Dr. Who, flies down in a space ship and rescues him, and flies off. The setting can get kinda gonzo and bizarre, while also being about filling out expense reports and trying to get a promotion in your legion. I really like it for that. Of course, on the branch of the tree of time that is your game, things may go quite differently.

2 Likes

Haha that’s pretty awesome really : ) Everything makes a little more sense now, though it didn’t bother me ‘that’ much originally. I’ve gotten used to weirdness in CoG games by now.

Just saying I really enjoyed this game, and would like to see this setting used more often!

I had similar criticisms to most in this thread, but I went back and checked out some of the fail-states and alternate endings, and yes, you put a lot of effort into them. They are really worth seeing, especially the ending where you run away with Sayi. I loved that.

One question: why only have six of the gods as patrons? Really want to worship Ksarul.

1 Like

@ZoilusthePedantic I wanted to cut down on the number of gods and princes for simplicity, and also map to the heirs who were more major players in the Civil War. Ksarul is awesome!

Understandable. I’ll take depth over breadth any day.

Has anyone been able to marry all the love interests? I’ve only ever gotten two out of three.

Hey guys, please use [spoiler] and [/spoiler to bracket plot specifics.

It is possible to marry all NPCs, but a bit hard.

Well, I’m kind of glad that I didn’t take the plunge then. I liked the world but not the writing style, it felt a bit too reliant on the world’s glossary for me to get into/not enough character driven interaction.

It seemed interesting though, and I’m really glad about discovering Tekumel through CotPT. I’ve been reading stuff on the site for a little bit now and it’s pretty neat.

@Hell_Satan Before you start typing spoilery stuff put [spoiler]. After you’re done type [/spoiler} but with a ] instead of an }. If it works right, the text will look blurred in the right hand window once you put the second one in.

@Bootsykk If I got you interested in Tékumel, you’ve made me happy. If you look around, you might be able to find a copy of Swords and Glory Vol 1 used, which is literally just 135 pages of setting info. Hopefully it will be back in print one day!

2 Likes

Spoilers work like this: [spoiler]I am your father.[/spoiler]

Which then looks like this:

I am your father.

1 Like

It has to be a lowercase S. [Spoiler] doesn’t work; [spoiler] does.

And you have to put in a [/spoiler]. [spoiler]blah blah just looks like this:

[spoiler]blah blah

Really enjoying the game but I can’t work out how to marry all three of the NPCs? The most I have managed is two plus the arranged marriage.

I liked it but the end seemed to come out of no where and really wish we had more time with our family and to get to know the person we are marrying.

I’m happy to tell you, if you want to be spoiled. It’s probably the hardest thing to do in the game as a number of factors have to line up.

Thanks for the feedback @vampierkid222. The ending is very much in-genre for the setting, but in the sense that it’s a bit of whirlwind tour , many other players agree with your sentiment. I appreciate the feedback, and will keep it all in mind the next time I write something.

1 Like

Some clues would be good - done most other things except for dying :smile:

I really enjoyed my first playthrough even though the ending was kinda out of left field. One thing I did really like was how the game actually validates every playthrough as Canon by using the whole alternate branches where a person makes a different choice somewhere along the way.

Here you go MoHair. How to end with a giant wedding:

To marry Rayána you need to end the game with her alive, return to your prince, praise her to your Prince/Princess when they ask you what boon you’d like, and then either you need to be following Princess Maiin, or Rayána needs to be your lover, or Wave needs to be a girl (Sayí). If you follow Prince Rereshqala you also need to have accepted your arranged marriage or have just proposed to Wave/Sayí, because Sea Blue won’t let your first spouse be a commoner.

To marry everyone you need to do the above, but have NIRUN selected as your lover so that he proposes to you. This means Wave must either be a girl OR you must be a member of White Stone. At that point you just need high enough rep with Nirún and Wave such that they come back with you, then you propose to Wave in front of your prince.

Is that coherent?

Thanks, yes I think so :slight_smile: Will give it a go.

@Hell_Satan There are three steps:

First, you need Rayána to die. The easiest way to do this is to fight on the platform, and let her fight the honor combat, which she will lose. You can also fight in the front lines and come close to losing, and she will save you at the expense of her life. It’s harder to describe how to do this. Or you can try to take the city by stealth, but not bring Wave with you, and fail the final skill check, which will cause her to die saving the day.

Second, you need to win the battle.

Third, you need to have need to have 650 kaitars. You can get money by being in Sea Blue, by looting the city when you take it, byt looting more when the priests of Vimúhla burn it, by gambling in the House of Shining Joy, or by ransoming you captive back to his family. Just make sure you end up with 650.

Hope that helps

1.0.3 has been pushed to all platforms.