Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

Who leads Halassur?

Will there be any major battles in Game 2 or will it be more subterfuge focused?

1. Halassur is an Empire, led by an Emperor, at least nominally. We don’t know enough about it to accurately gauge its power structure. So their Emperor could be anything from an absolute dictator to a mere figurehead, for all we know.

2. Only the author can answer that one.

2 Likes

Yet the narrative already allows for such a judgment to be made. Should the player go for trials at Rim Square and choose the merciful option, they’re indeed making a distinction - specifically, you’re executing the Thaumatarchy’s enforcers for unnecessary and (even by Karagond standards) unlawful violence, which nearly all Alastors are involved in (and many of the aristocracy are also guilty of - but not the MC, Simon/Suzane or Mikal de Rose, for example). This is also part of the ruthless MC’s complaint to Breden. So there’s clearly a line to be drawn somewhere.

Of course, to most helots, the distinction between a corrupt Alastor or noble and an idealistic defender of the Hegemony is a moot point. But making such distinctions and upholding the concept of justice and the rule of law is absolutely helpful if you want to bring the existing aristocracy, clergy and bureaucracy to your side. (If, as @idonotlikeusernames would say.)

7 Likes

Hector and Calea being the prime examples, Hector is pretty much an outright sadist who seems to delight in cruelty. Calea might or might not be one too, even if she keeps it more circumspect and confined to her involuntary helot “lover boys”.

If indeed! Though my mc does need at least the some of the merchants and the lower-echelon bureaucrats, like Bleys, for example. So it does apply to him, only he himself applies it more selectively than some other mc’s might choose to do.

3 Likes

Calea’s worse than Hector, at least from what we’ve seen on-screen. She coerces helot men into sex, and then murders them when she’s done simply to clean up after herself. She’s violating law, Canon, and basic humanity, and she only gets away with it because no one speaks for a helot.

10 Likes

@Havenstone Will Bleys still be playing a part in our rebellion in later games?

If he’s alive, yes.

I however, is more curious and intrigued with the future development of Calea … so we had witness Calea will go to great length to “help” us, but how deep her loyalty roots with us ? :-):hugs:

She is the contact in enemy territory , will she be an asset or a bane in future… i have to admire Calea courage though, since she should know a kryptast was in our rebel camp but took great risk to deliver that good will information for us…

I am considering however, should i be so bold to meet with her next time? Could it be that a trap will be awaiting me in future ?

More interesting development will be … what if News of Calea had been captured and awaiting execution ? Should i attemp to rescue my dear cousin ? Or will it be a trap ? :-):thinking:

3 Likes

Not very. She’s playing both sides of the fence in the hopes of keeping Keriatou power intact.

I doubt that she’d do anything so crude as setting a trap at a meeting, but she probably shouldn’t be trusted with any sensitive intel.

8 Likes

Belatedly: Halassur is indeed led by an Emperor. You don’t yet know much about him, but will find out more in Game 2 Ch 1.

As for major battles, those are due to really start in Game 4, the back half of which will all be about the siege of the Hegemonic capital, and continue into Game 5. There will be some minor battles in Game 2, but by and large, those will be of the urban warfare sort that can be hard to distinguish from an especially bad riot.

19 Likes

Do riots in Shayard frequently involve people screaming strange heresies and cutting themselves to burn down an alastor barracks? I was hoping to add something new to the riots in Grand Shayard.

8 Likes

Ok, there’ll be a few unique distinguishing features. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I think “commader” is better than “captain”

As long as we retain overall leadership, we can probably “promote” ourselves to “commander” and leave the day to day running of the band to the new captain. Should the mc desire to do so. :wink:

Oh, @Havenstone I hope that during the rural chapter the helot mc doesn’t have to go “undercover” doing menial, farm animal labour again? :worried:

You’ll be undercover, but not in the role of helot. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That, sly smile makes me suspect my that for some reason you’re planning something my poor mc isn’t going to like there. :sweat_smile: We’ll see I guess.

Have you got a new laptop or computer yet by the way, as I seem to recall you mentioning some computer troubles late last year?

Picked it up on Friday, and spent much of today writing XoR 2. Back in the saddle!

10 Likes

If that Sarcifer dude joins our rebellion could he be our lieutenant?

1 Like

Servant to a noble maybe. Or yeoman.

This would be what my mc would probably prefer, although merchant would probably be better with his intellect as he’d have to hide less of it, but then he isn’t a part of any guild, so that would likely preclude an effective merchant disguise.

Well either that or having to outright pose as a minor noble is more what that sly smile emojii Havenstone used makes me afraid of. If it is either of those or even posing as Diakon then my mc will probably really hate every second of it.