Choice of Games and Hosted Games Recommendations -- Consolidated Thread

Thank you so much! That will definitely get me started :smiley:

1 Like

You might like Vampire the Masquerade: Night Road. Everyone in or peripheral to the vampire community becomes something of a villain. Not purely villain though. There’s a tight rope to walk: feeding the monster to survive, but preserving your humanity so you don’t degenerate into a mindless animal.

The current ROs are a pawn-shop clerk (black-market dealer), a blood-addicted vampire’s research assistant, a vampire hunter, a vampire Prince (local leader), and a vampire driver slash enforcer. While I wouldn’t say romance is the focus of the game, it features in everything vampiric since Dracula since, despite those who bash Twilight and True Blood, Dracula is a gothic romance. Cheers! @Windnaria

3 Likes

Fallen Hero: Rebirth may fit your requirement, as it has a superhero setting and one of the RO is a supervillain.

1 Like

Any yakuza games, where the main character can be the boss, a high ranking member or at the very least just afilliated?

Hi guys! This is my first post on here and I recently finished Choice of Robots and was in absolute tears over my path;
I named my robot Daneel and he was my little sock-puppet muppet child, and seeing him grow and thrive in the different situations got me incredibly emotional.
I’m a little bit of a crybaby, so shame on me if I was the only one for sobbing at the end, but have there been other games that have caused tearjerkers that you guys recommend? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely check out The Grim and I if you want a tear jerker. I’m not normally someone who cries at books/movies, but I’ll admit, that game had me on the verge of sobbing.

It’s not a Yakuza game, but Life of a Mobster lets you rise as high as you want in the New Daria (basically a fictional NYC from my understanding) mob hierarchy.

3 Likes

The games that most make me tear up are WIPs.
Number one as far as tears go is clearly “A Mage Reborn”. “Bastard of Camelot” has it’s moments too.
As far as finished games go (well, in a sense, since it’s an ongoing series, but some books are already done), then it would be “Samurai of Hyuga”.

But then again, we don’t seem to have the same tastes as far as tearjerkers go, since I don’t really like “Choice of Robots” and I didn’t really feel anything while playing it - it’s simply not my style nor the kind of narration that touches me. But well, it’s up to you!

3 Likes

Thank youu so much!!

Thank you so much! To be honest, I really only cried at the end because I got so attached to the little robot as if they were a child to me, and I have the WORST soft spot for children, so I was like “oh goshh nooo Daneel ;__;” but thank you for your recommendations!! I’ll read them as soon as I can :smiley: !

So, this is my first ever post and I’m not sure what tags I am supposed to put or where this would go. I’ve seen several different topics on being able to turn into a zombie or a choice to become one. Is that still a think or has none been made yet? Zombie Exodus had a perfect chance to do that with the little girl and all and giving the mc a chance to decide but from what I have seen, they cannot go down a path like that. So is there anything (game) that has been made on it?

I believe that there’s a brief zombie path in Choice of Zombies.

Definiteily recommending life of a mobster. It’s frustratingly linear at points but it definitely captures the feel of what you’re looking for.

Also, it’s really good! One of my all-time CoG/HG favorites.

Are there some games that has some changes in story based on sexuality, like some unique dialogues or disscution or experiences, and not just choice of your LI.

All things like gender, sexuality and so on influence dialogue (sometimes in significant parts) in “These Reluctant Years”, though it’s only a WIP.
Keep in mind you don’t get an explicit choice about MC’s sexuality in this one, but considering how this game works, and the game world’s morals and society, this WILL certainly be a huge part of the thing, once romances truly start.

Then there’s the already released and quite well known: A Study in Steampunk: Choice by Gaslight on Steam.
In this case, MC is gender locked male, but his sexuality does influence some things, though it’s more of a “glorified RO restriction”, really - the game shows you how the world percieves things like that, but there is not a lot of things revolving about that, as opposed to the WIP I’ve mentionned.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted a police or miltary style choice game that takes real life tactics into play. Maybe even with a fictional twist

5 Likes

Fog of War, Mecha Ace or the Infinity series (starting with Sabres of Infinity) may be to your liking, they’re all military themed and I understand both authors have a lot of knowledge in that area.

17 Likes

I haven’t read a lot of games than involve tactics at such, but I can provide some insight into trying to make them.

I think Champion of the Gods does a decent job with tactics for the brief battle portion with the player knowing they lack a particular type of military unit and having to use their player and tactics to compensate for it. This portion is only a very small portion of the game however, not the focus.

I think a major issue with making them would be how replayable it is. Once the players know the “optimal strategy” for the story, each playthrough would be just choosing the right tactical decisions. I think the only way to implement this would be to have some degree of randomization or try to create some basic enemy AI (for instance if you choose to do X, your opponent chooses the best response out of A, B or C, and you then have to respond).

1 Like

I’d suggest The Fleet as well. A bit short for my tastes but it gave me a Star Trek at war kind of feel.

Apex Patrol is kind of similar to The Fleet imo but different plot and a bit frustrating at the end.

1 Like

Breached is actually a good one I loved and played it over and over again

https://dashingdon.com/play/Maxwell121415/breach-taj/mygame/

2 Likes

Cataphrak’s Infinity series of which the first two games (Sabres of Infinity & Guns of Infinity) are out is a military simulator in which you play a Dragoon (mounted infantry) officer who must lead his troops into battle in a low fantasy setting that is roughly equivalent to early 19th century Europe in terms of technology and cultural development. You also start out as the heir to a barony. Magic exists, but it takes a backseat to firearms and stays mostly in the background. In the first two games you are at war, leading your troops. The third game in the series which he’s currently working on will take place in between wars and be more political, setting the stage for the next war. In all he’s planning on putting out five games in this series.

Cataphrak is also the author of Mecha Ace which is more sci-fi. I haven’t had a chance to look at Fog of War yet, but now that @HannahPS has mentioned it I will. Thanks Hannah.

6 Likes