Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

Quotes

The Essence is simply the oldest and most powerful source of power ever known. It is the beginning and end of everything. When Cronus had turned the Essence into two souls, this did nothing to weaken the power of the Essence; it only meant that it now needed a host (human body) for it to be stored and wielded properly.

The Essence can only be used by the Bearer after the 18th summer solstice, and can only be given to the Bearer by the Bestower. Once in possession of the full soul of the Essence, the Bearer can use it any way they see fit. There is no limit to their power; it is both magical and physical, breaking all existing barriers.

The Essence that had flowed through the first Gods and Goddesses had then flowed through the Titans as well. The Essence had been a pivotal turning point in the War of the Titans, and one of the reasons the Titans had been so successful. Knowing this, Cronus collected all of the Essence from himself and his siblings, then killed them. Cronus turned the Essence into two sources (now known as souls). Both sources would hold the power of the Essence, but only one of them could be used as a wielder of the Essence. These two sources would be known by the Olympians as the Bestower and the Bearer. Cronus hid the two sources in a place known only to him.

“…but one of the sources, the Bestower, would be the caretaker of the Essence, to hold it until the second source was ready to yield the power, on their 18th summer solstice. That is the day that both their full powers awaken, and the Bestower’s portion of the Essence transfers fully into the Bearer, who has the ability to use the power.”

The Bestower and the Bearer are both born with the Essence itself as their souls, until the time of their 18th summer solstice. On that night, at the peak of the solstice, their powers would come alive and the Bestower would transfer the Essence into the Bearer. The Bestowers were not created to be able to withstand the Essence, so the transfer would occur willingly or not. The Bearers would then be overcome with the power of the Essence and use it to their own accord.

Many great heroes in history were Bearers who used the power of the Essence for good. It is long known that the power of the Essence is so strong that the body containing it cannot survive long. Most Bearers, after having full control of the Essence, do not make it past their 19th summer solstice. Once the Bearer dies, so does the Bestower (and vice versa), and their sources both go into a deep slumber until they are reincarnated into new hosts.

“When Cronus turned us into souls, he also intertwined us. That way, one of us couldn’t go renegade with the Essence while in the mortal world.”

Well, you’re right, @Logan3000x
It does seem that the Bestower wouldn’t have access to Essence magic anymore, but then that brings up the question: would the Bestower die immediately after the Transfer?
After all, the Essence is their soul, same as the Bearer’s, but if it all transfers over to the Bearer, then logic dictates that Bestower would die…or become some weird undead eldritch horror (oooh, that’d be interesting!), OR the Bestower still retains enough Essence to resemble a soul without dying…but it would still be the Essence at its source, in which case they wouldn’t be completely cut off, thus allowing (perhaps) a stop-gap measure.

And actually…I didn’t see anything about Cronus trying to take the Essence from you? There was only mention that he didn’t want the Essence used against him.
Obviously if you work against him he’s gonna try and kill you but…he already had the Essence in his possession without anyone to stop him and…he didn’t try to put it in himself to become all-powerful? Seems odd, but…telling.

Well, back to the Bestower bit. Unless the Bestower also loses their soul (and therefore life) in the Transfer, there is still the possibility that Aeson could be a stop gap to your powers, he just wouldn’t be able to do any magic outside of that.

That said, I also don’t have any proof for my argument, so…ehhh? :sweat_smile: shrug

9 Likes

omg that only took me an hour to write? jfc
why can’t I get this level of motivation for essays? :sob:

6 Likes

So is Zeus still or dad or is fishdad available again?

@syd969

Zeus is now the only father the Bearer can have. Hades and Poseidon are no longer available.

According to my old writing class teacher, it’s because people tend to be at their most honest when they write.

She would say that it’s really easy to tell when someone was writing something they’re really into and that’s part of the reason fixed essays that give its writer virtually no range to explore the story/topic assigned tend to be slower to finish and often lack the writer’s voice; there’s MUCH less enthusiasm involved on the writer’s end.

2 Likes

My understanding was that the Essence is reborn into new “hosts,” and that you were just a host for it. So wouldn’t that mean, upon the transfer, Aeson would just be left as whatever he would have been without the Essence.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the next flashback!

I wonder, would the past lives of the bestower and the bearer affect their current relationship?

Let’s take this scenario for an example:
Perhaps in a past life, the bearer could have done something horrible like commiting murder, rape etc. And the bestower was the victim (or vice-versa). How would your MC react if the bestower had done something horrible to you in a past life?

6 Likes

The thought has crossed my mind. My MC will kill Aeson regardless of anything he might have done though. So my MC wouldn’t care all the same.

6 Likes

Mia would be wary, but she would have been wary anyway. So a little more on edge. She is aware that he’s a different person in this life, and she’s a different person. She figures that she did horrible things too, and has done things she’s not proud of in this life as well (stuff like theft, etc.). In short, Mia’s not claiming that trauma as her own, and she would call the person the Bestower was when he committed that act horrible, but not Aeson.

Alex’s head is buried deep in the sand. She wants nothing to do with her past lives. So she’d probably ignore it unless it became a problem. If Aeson doesn’t bring it up, she’ll keep it buried.

I don’t think we’ll need to worry about something like rape. Rohie doesn’t seem the type to use rape as drama. Murder or betrayal, sure, but not rape.

1 Like

@rose-court …Who do you work for?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing who the MC and Aeson are in the Witch Trials!

Most likely we’re both going to be two of those people that were accused of witchcraft. I mean… We got the Essence and maybe our past self lost control of it and someone saw it and promptly freaked out. Hmmm… :thinking:

6 Likes

I want to be the one that throws the Witches in the lake.

1 Like

You know the weird thing about the Trials that I’ve heard before? That the accusers were nothing more than teenaged girls that simply had nothing better to do and they thought it’d be fun to freak people out. I’m pretty sure one of the accusers were actually a daughter of the pastor at Salem, and the pastor was basically the town elder and the law in that village during that time.

People can be quite a dick.

11 Likes

hides wire tapping equipment labeled NSA

N-Nobody! Erm, wh-why do you ask? :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

squints eyes suspiciously Stressed, should I even ask…

So does anyone else wonder what Apollo’s role is going to be in the Salem Witch Trials?

@Rohie did say that it the Bearer was going to get a chance to meet him during the 2nd past life.

@rose-court

Looks like you might be on to something there being a particular oddity in Cronus’ and the Bearer/Bestower’s connection if @Rohie is half-jokingly convinced you’re spying on her writing drafts. :laughing:

3 Likes

Oooh that’s hard to say. If you asked me, Apollo seems as if he’s probably going to be indirectly involved into getting the accused killed or at least he’s just going to shrug his shoulders and just watch what happens out of curiosity.

1 Like

Hahaha, right yes…a joke!
loljkjk

I was not aware that Apollo would be in the second flashback, hmmmmm. I’m gonna mull over this while I eat lunch, and I’ll get back to ya on it, k?