Briar Rose (WIP)

I love the addition of Julie. She’s adorable! However, I feel like we’re being forced to work for her. If it’s that central to the plot, and you can’t give us a choice not to work for her, then maybe you can let us choose our reasoning, like, “I’ll just work here until I can find something better,” or, “This is the perfect job for me!” Other than that, this is great! Keep it up!

@GloriaRose
Thanks for reading it again, comments even short ones mean so much to me. :smiley:
@iris
Glad you reminded me about paragraphs. Before posting the new demo link I kept thinking, what am I missing. I’ll be sure to add page breaks and line breaks before posting from now on. If I don’t from now on then shame on me! :stuck_out_tongue:
@Mirabella
I just reached the point in the story where its optional which character to work with, who you would like to be friends with, or what you would like to do. The flower shop is central to the plot, since I have 12 episodes/things that will happen in the shop. I’ll be sure to add in a choice that allows you to give feedback like you mentioned (I might steal a line or two from you for the choices!) :wink: , I just didn’t want to add it in to give readers false hope or another job or something.
I’m glad that you enjoyed Julie. I was afraid that people would think she was too cheery. Thanks for playing and giving feedback. :smiley:

1 Like

I would absolutly love to work with Xander @LadyWreckful as my first choice because i love his vibe, and then Julie cause she is so adorable.

This is so cute :smiley: thank you for making such a beautiful game! It’s like a fairy tale​:heart_eyes:, keep up with the amazing work!

Just played through the new additions to the game, really interested in the two new characters you introduced :smiley:
I just thought the part where Julie all of a sudden offers you a job is pretty sudden and out-of-the-blue, perhaps you could talk to her for a bit longer before that happens? I don’t know, it just a little quick to me XD

@GloriaRose
In my next update, you will definitely see more of Xander. :smiley: As I write more about him he is quickly becoming my favorite chracter. However, to be honest he is much harder to write for than Julie. I think the beginning will just be hard, since I already have so many wonderful ideas/roles that he will play later in the story. If you have any suggestions about his character, let me know. :wink: Also in my next update, look forward to meeting one more of the possible romantic interests. The coding for them is a pain though!
@Chriswa27
Thank you so much for the support. I’m actually typing this to take a quick break from writing. :smile:
@enterprisi
Yeah, I agree but since it was central to the plot I was like “OMG, How do I pull this off?”. After your comment I think that maybe the best method is to do a short interview or something like that? :blush:

1 Like

At some point it said “You have no knowledge of world outside the briar except for the legends the Dragon Snaps told” so maybe instead of crashing into Julie, the player can be totally confused by everything and just sitting there, and then they see Julie with the flowers and approach her because the flowers are familiar? then they can have a conversation and eventually Julie takes the player under her wing since they seem very lost and helpless (and since the player knows flowers, she then kind of ‘unofficially’ offers you the job?) I dunno I’m just trying to think of some way if it’s possible to make the offer seem less… stilted?

(also, another point I wanted to make - the player seems to have a pretty big vocab considering they just came from a briar patch, like knowing what towns, workers, and jobs are…)

Absolutly i will let you know :slight_smile: but as far i like how Xander is potrayed and I cant wait to know him. And good luck with the coding and i am definitly looking foward to the new RO :smiley: cant wait!!!
Keep up the good work @LadyWreckful < 3

@enterprisi
Thanks for the comment. I wrote it down in the notebook I am using. :smile: I’ll try to make it seem less stilted. I guess my whole idea was that the rose knew basics, such as cities but maybe didn’t know the functions/particulars (ex Taking today’s workplace/atmosphere, when you are little you know jobs but you don’t really know about retirement plans :blush: ) Again, I put it down as a note, since I think it could be really fun to watch the vocabulary develop.

@GloriaRose
Wow, thanks so much for all the support :smiley:. I decided that since I was having trouble, I would just lay out his character arc and do a character development worksheet. Worked like a charm, I should have the next playtest done within the week.

2 Likes

Interesting game so far never played as a flower turned human before. :smile:

1 Like

Im not sure how I feel about myself now xD I think this is the first time I’ve read/played anything that started me off being a flower then being a human xD I rather enjoyed being a flower which felt a little weird xD but so far it seems awesome :3 sorry if It seemed like I was going to be mean or rude xD I’ll keep my eyes open for more xD

That’s seriously adorable! I love all the puns.

I am curious as to where the flowers got the money, though.

@Bloodhawkereaper
Thank you for the comment! If you find another game where you are a rose turned human, I want to know! At least the story is unique in that aspect! :smile:
@kazizk
I’m glad you thought it was awesome. :smiley: When I first saw your comment I saw the word rude, and I was like “Oh noes!”. So happy that you enjoyed it.
@Lindley
Well, I’m sure you’ll figure it out as I release more of the game. :blush: A clever player might be able to figure it out early, but everyone will know at the end.

Mini Update:
-Have the whole plot line done, as well as 90% of the character arcs done. Unfortunately, I write scenes out of order.
-Fixed several typos and grammatical issues up to the first “main” event.
-Changed/Added 2 statics to the stat chart.
Basically all I have left to do before my next updated demo is to add in the stat points, figure out how to balance them. As well as figure out how I want to pull off the romance concept in the game. I have 2 main ideas of how I want to implement them in a programming sense, after I decide. Then it’s good to go! :smile:

5 Likes

Hey! Glad you’re still working on the game! :slight_smile:
The idea is really interesting and original, it’s so fun to be a rose who changed into a girl!
I’ll keep an eye on it and you keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

i hope you are still working on this i like what I’ve read so far

@Dawn_Mason We’ve a forum policy against bumping WIP posts that are over a couple of months old. Unfortunately @LadyWreckful hasn’t been on the forums since January 7th, so I’m locking this. When she returns she can message any moderator and we’ll happily reopen the thread.