Best of Us is Out Now!

Time to go hang out with my crush NIGHTREAVER. Or well, in a couple hours when I get home and can play on a computer.

2 Likes

The game was shorter than I thought. Seemed like it ended kind abruptly. Also there wasn’t much fighting. My guy had awesome powers but everyone just punked him

4 Likes

I have to say this game was a huge disappointment. The game is not much longer than the demo, you get worked by most of the other powered characters, the plot ends really abruptly with us doing little to really move it along. There are a lot of threads that seem to go no where. The game feels unfinished honestly and I regret buying it

8 Likes

While I wouldn’t go as far as to say I regret buying the game, I am a little… confused by some things? I was honestly enraptured by the story until about… 75% of the way in when it really started to feel like my choices weren’t really doing anything. I’ll just make a list of some stuff that has me scratching my head a bit. I’ll hide it under a spoiler tag for those that haven’t played it yet.

1. I was literally able to waltz through everything with the teleportation powers? I didn’t encounter any real obstacles or challenges. Also made me question the whole point of the Energy stat.

2. I don’t know if I just wasn’t paying enough attention, but it felt as though Purge literally just showed up with a name and I was just like “What? Who is this guy?”. I recognized him by his costume not by his name.

3. Purge in general had me scratching my head. There was a lot of missed potential with him IMHO. We don’t even get to have a talk with him to see just who he is behind that mask. Is he just a puppet? Or does he still have some semblance of self? I also would’ve… liked to have more options with regards to how our MC reacts to the reveal of who he really is. 'cause my MC would’ve felt personally responsible for his death since he tried to keep him as safe as he could.

4. Aurora threatened to hunt my MC down personally and drag him away if he didn’t cooperate (which he didn’t), and yet… she didn’t? My MC was just able to casually follow a trail of crumbs to Dawn without any resistance?

5. Dawn is another kicker. She had the very real potential to become a character that leaves a lasting impression, but we just don’t get any real insight to her. I’m also slightly miffed at the fact that she just… dies? And that’s it? You look at her bleeding corpse and that’s all that’s mentioned about it? I was like “oh, so her power is to engulf herself in flames? that’s cool - oh. she just got shot in the chest. that’s a shame.” And that’s all we hear about her.

6. Icarus made me scratch my head. For a guy claiming to just be observing… he did a lot of intervening.

7. I think my biggest qualm of all is the fact that I didn’t really get the opportunity to get to know any of the vigilantes. There are all these varied, vivid characters with stories waiting to be told, and it just felt like none of them were actually told. The only character I felt a connection to was Nightreaver and that’s mostly because I have a weakness for dark, broody characters. He also happened to coincidentally be German like my MC. That also leads me to another point…

8. Why give players the illusion of potentially having a romance/fling? Granted, I wasn’t expecting any since the actual description of the game makes no mention of it, but… asking whether my MC likes guys or gals (or both or none) and then having the option to try and romance Nightreaver only to have it cut off at that felt very… flat. My MC wouldn’t have backed off until he was flat out told who Nightreaver was already committed to. I was honestly expecting him to tell me it was fighting crime. :joy:

9. To wrap this up, the ending was uber lackluster. Like uber. The build up to the actual moment where the two sides clashed was awesome at times, but it really felt like our MC wasn’t really doing anything, even with Icarus being all cryptic and saying that we were almost like a divine hand shaping fate. Combined with the fact I couldn’t pause to assist anyone - I would’ve stopped to help Nightreaver if given the choice - and the fact that the game kinda really comes to an anti-climactic end after you choose whether to push the guy off or leave him to the police. I didn’t… really see any of the supposed change(s) my choices were meant to have. The city ends up feeling exactly as it did before which feels really counter to the point of the game.

10. TL;DR; I scratched my head a lot.

I did enjoy the game, but I have to admit that it does feel like it’s missing content the closer it gets to the ending.

23 Likes

Seems Best of Us set for Steam release alongside Killing Time and ThE Sea Eternal. Looking forward for it.

I just did, and it’s not doing the weird name thing anymore.

1 Like

Finally finished. It was a fun enough story, but there are so many things that left me unsatisfied.

2 Likes

Hey i was just wondering, what exactly does the whole lobbying thing do? Because it’s never mentioned again in the entire story.

1 Like

It introduces a character and a glimpse into things happening in the background of everything.

You meet that particular person again later on… You just have to have keen eyes.

2 Likes

Yeah. I caught that. I’m pretty sure it’s Icarus, innit?

3 Likes

Congrats on your release, I’m looking forward to it.
It will unlock in about 7 hours on Steam in the place I live. It is times like this that I hate living in a different timezone. Woohoo.

It doesn’t show on my Steam; weird.

@Zolataya Hi, did you check the ‘Upcoming releases’ tab in Steam? It shows the game on that list. It hasn’t unlocked yet so it is not part of the new or featured releases. Or you can just click on the provided link at the beginning of this post I guess.

Ya. I usually access the “Hosted Games” store page and it lists all them, including the upcoming. It works for the official CoG too, so I see the two being released there in 4 hours (Killing Time and the mermaid-whale one)

Perhaps my client just needs to update; regardless, I’ll be getting it on Steam whenever it does show.

@Zolataya
This is what the page looks like for me. It’s odd that you wouldn’t be able to see the same. Anyway I hope a restart or something helps, Steam often has some trouble with itself.

1 Like

I ve just finished the game. I wanted it to play ever since I ve played demo. I have some objection (mainly about the ending) but it was still nice game worth the money and I would still recommend it to everyone (and maybe it is just because I love superhero genre. 8,5/10

ok, seems like everyone here has read it but me, curse you Google store preventing me from reading a awesome sounding book (smashes computer on the table in anger)

The Steam version is available now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/464380/

3 Likes

I ve read it on google play

Gaah, so many questions (sorry about the giant blocks of spoiler text in advance):

- If you try to sneak out of the place you’re looting for costume parts, why doesn’t Nightreaver assume you’re just another looter like the two he just took down? Why does he stop to talk to you about why you’re a hero when he hasn’t seen any heroics from you yet?

- What’s Daniel’s/Icarus’ agenda? Is his company going to step into the power vacuum and start taking over the way Reissman’s did?

- Why set up Dawn as this Svengali-esque threat/sinister ally if she’s just dead by the time things are hashed out?

- If I worked with Richard before he became Purge, why don’t I at least get the option to yell “You jerk, I can’t believe I tried to save your life/hunt down your killer?” For that matter, why was Crimson Caracal involved in his “death”? Was she after his dad for some reason? If so, why didn’t she stay to finish the Lt. Governor off? It’s not like she’s all that scared of you.

I mean, I enjoyed what I played, but it felt like there were chapters missing. And while some of it could be addressed in a sequel, I don’t know if we’re going to see a sequel any time soon.

Also, I wish I’d had the chance to romance Angry German Batman. Or at least meet the person he said he was already with when my hero asked him if he’d like to knock boots.

6 Likes