Bad Ritual WIP (UPDATED 04/08/2020)

@Runbunnyrun I wanted to make the hair choice run as quickly as possible as there are a LOT of possible options (and the original draft went on for a while). The “down” option can be long or short, whereas “up” options can run medium or long. This just a means of setting the hair variable in general: the fact that you have hair, versus not having it at all. The multiple options just serve as very generalized character building blocks (otherwise we’d be here all day building a haircut). I can see where it’d get confusing !!

@Takashi_Shin Thank you !!! :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

You had me at handsome demon.

16 Likes

Chapter Two Update !! See the link at the top for the demo that now includes the conclusion to the neutral route and the start of both romance routes (with Siruud and Tahira !!)

30 Likes

Me like. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m soo excited for this project and cant wait to see more!

2 Likes

I loooove it! I love it very much!! :laughing:
The writing, the plot, everything is perfect! And I can’t wait for the next update :blush:
Keep up the good work @HeartForge
You’re Awesome!

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Thank-you !! I hope you keep liking it !!

2 Likes

I saw the link on this from itch and I can say I’m thoroughly intrigued! The humor is something most anyone can relate to! My only thoughts would be to add a relationship meter for each romance option in the settings, which isn’t strictly necessary since I feel like that’s more up to how well mc knows the others.

The other one was that with the scene with The Crone and mc getting mad, it felt a little out of character since I had played them being kind and attempting to be thoughtful. It’s well written, just a little jarring to see, especially after Siruud did some magic fingers at me a moment before. Maybe lead into it with some irritation and the like?

Either way any of this goes, I love this and I’m so following you on this, and can’t wait to get it when it does come out!! :star_struck::heart_eyes::star_struck:

4 Likes

Thanks for the response !! You’re absolutely right, 1) I should make clearer what Siruud is actually doing if you let him cast a spell on you; he isn’t calming you, but rather blocking out stimuli (it’s sort of clearer in Tahira’s route, actually, how the club literally physically affects the MC), and 2) draw out the argument a little bit. The explosiveness was more to reflect the fact that you could have already asked him a couple times if he could read your mind, not necessarily that you might not.

And I actually did have relationship gauges in an earlier draft of the second chapter, but I got rid of them because… hm, I’ll put it like this. There aren’t any “right” answers in the games I try to make. I’m generally not a fan of games that I feel like I have to metagame in order to achieve the “good” ending, you know? So I left the gauge out because I’m literally not keeping track of like “Siruud liked this” or “Tahira hated that”. Their reaction is fed off of yours; the only thing that really changes is some dialogue stuff, and I would never give anyone the option to really act in a way that would cause someone the player specifically chose to romance to ditch them altogether (I really don’t understand that in games that deal with romance: games like Dragon Age 2 are baffling to me in the sense that I don’t really think I should have the option to imply someone I like and willingly hang out with is subhuman for no reason other than to see what happens).

I’d rather portray a dynamic relationship where one can both choose to agree with and disagree with the person they chose to romance without having to worry if they’re being locked out of something or losing points towards the ending they want. There will be different endings, of course, but they’ll be based on decisions you make and not the personality you want to build.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: Hope you keep liking it !!!

27 Likes

I had so much fun playing! Siruud the Devourer is such a sweetheart. He tries to come off as a big bad archdemon as he attempts to respect the MC’s boundaries, helps them through a panic attack, and shares their poutine. A real scaly teddy bear, I tell you.

I went into Bad Rituals blind and the very beginning made me think the game was going to be kinda of dark and gritty. Then it suddenly takes an abrupt turn into a romantic comedy. That’s not a complaint btw, I love it. It goes from us being badly injured from demon hunting and scared of our boss to: Is the demon in the pen caps or not?! Are we about to get nibbled to death? This creature from before the dawn of time just interrupted our blanket burrito time! Does the Crone ship us? I think the Crone ships us! Let’s make up over poutine!

I find plenty of things funny but I don’t actually physically laugh often. Bad Ritual made me laugh. I’m about ready for my MC to quit working for SignetWorks and live out the rest of his dysfunctional life with Siruud.

20 Likes

Ahh I’m so glad you liked it :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation: And he just pretends to be a cool, collected ancient being; he is ancient, but he’s just as big a dope as anyone else :joy:

18 Likes

Siruud is such a babe! He’s like the the popular guy in school that tries to act cool but totally isn’t lol. And omg I love Maureen! She’s so funny, trying to get them to kiss and all. You have my full attention, keep going in this direction<3

16 Likes

Thank-you :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation: And we must always consider that if we always listened to Maureen, we’d miss out on chapters worth of flirting and pining :blush:

15 Likes

Im keeping this demon with me Tahira!

34 Likes

gfhdlfkjgh I love this !!!

5 Likes

This is so hilarious in sort of a, “wow my luck really is that bad huh?” Sort of way.

Cursed jewelry is the most pretty kind?

I was sort of hoping Siruud was in the pen caps in the end :frowning: pen cap jewelry!!

Anyway I love this! I hope to see more!

8 Likes

I’m working away !! I’m glad you like it !!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

So I just reached the part where Siruud offers to put a spell on us, and there’s only a “yes” or “no” type answer… choices. Couldn’t there be a third choice where we basically ask what kind of spell he’s talking about?

2 Likes

There could be !! Or at the very least, and I think I’ve gotten this comment before, Siruud should be a bit more clear in general about what he intends to do from the start !!

8 Likes

So I have to admit, I do have a slight issue with Siruud’s reaction to the MCs reaction to him suddenly appearing in their place out of nowhere. I mean, I do like the different reactions we can choose the MC to have, they are each so different from each other. However, Siruuds reaction to each of them are the exact same, which I think is a bit disappointing. Couldn’t he have a different reaction to how the MC reacts to him?

8 Likes