Awoken (Fantasy WIP) - updated 16/May/2017

My reasoning is pretty much that by touching the stone MC awoke a power inside themselve that nobody else did since the Taheryk magelords. It just describes the status of their magic power. -shrug- that seems at least to be the most straightforward interpretation. Of course it also gets a double meaning with the way the game starts, so that’s a bonus.

But I also think that regaining the memories will lead to MC “reawake” that power.

1 Like

You know, I’m actually under the interpretation that the MC accidentally stole power that had been stored in the sourcestone when they picked it up as a child. I just wonder if anyone with the gift for magic could’ve touched it and survived, or if there’s something uniquely innate about our MC that allowed them to be able to receive that much power (especially at such a young age) and not keel over. :thinking:

2 Likes

Source stones are rare and normally not as big as the one MC touched but people certainly tried to recreate what MC did and none of them was succesful as it was mentioned shortly in the second flashback ( well maybe the Protector did ). So I would guess that MC may has an advantage. Maybe closer in lineage to the old magelords or something? So a genetical advantage? They probably can only hold as much magic as their potential anyway would allow, so the magic did give them a boost, but probably also did maximize their potential… I guess at least. We don’t have much info on how magic really works (probably because that knowledge ingame got lost together with the magelords).

It also could be that they really did “steal” that magic, but because of the lack in knowledge the people have in magic they assume that it is MC’s own magic at work. (But I prefer them having awoking a power they anyway had, to be honest. Has more of a “fear what lies inside of you” vibe to it)

2 Likes

I think it’d be scarier to lose control of power that doesn’t belong to you. :sweat_smile: In a sense, it doesn’t have to obey you, you know? Which is precisely why I still believe Silver is part of the power our MC got from the sourcestone.

2 Likes

But wouldn’t it be more scary to have something not obey you that normally should? Losing control over something that’s part of yourself is terrible scary. When we talk about something that is not yours you can theoretically dissociate from it but how will you do it with something that belongs to you? Something you are responsible for? That leaves people really vulnerable. (Because you can’t run away from yourself, even when you try really hard, you only can try to work it out in the best case)

I really would be scared more from such a scenario, that would be the worst kind of losing control.

Well, I think Silver has to obey MC to a certain degree. Depending how you play they really can get reason to despise the MC, but I got the feeling that either their survival depends on MC or that they can’t actively try to kill the MC. That’s why they are so gleeful when pushing MC into the well. It won’t kill them, it probably won’t damage them, but at least it’s unpleasent. And that’s the worst they can do to MC. Because for one reason or another they are bound to them

1 Like

Alright, now at a computer and able to give indepth answers!

@LckyLrkr: first off, thank you! :heart:[quote=“LckyLrkr, post:413, topic:13635”]
Also, if choosing to talk with Mara we dont get any interaction at all with Cren, there are a few other choices where choosing one will skip the others, maybe this is intentional but its a little confusing when other conversations are treated as if we can go right through the list of dialogue options without penalty.
[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose the talk to Mara/talk to Cren choice might be a bit arbitrary - the thinking behind limiting to only one of them was to keep the pace up on that scene and not risk the player feeling bogged down in dialogue trees, but perhaps it could use some tweaking.

MC is always a mage, yes. Them being a mage is pretty crucial to the whole story so is not something I can give a choice on.

:smiley: which scene is this?

Yeah, ballroom doesn’t seem like Cren’s kind of dancing. I feel like Mara probably does know. Vin may not have ever properly learned the dances, but could probably pick it up pretty quick. Silver definitely knows. Noble MC certainly would know, and others may well have learnt something at the school (since the mages might be called upon to serve the King, I can see the children being taught a certain amount of etiquette and courtly skills).[quote=“LckyLrkr, post:416, topic:13635”]
the ‘join the rebels/nobles’ choice seems to be kindof sudden the way it happens, like maybe there should be more of a segueway between the actual choices. the way it is now, Vin meets you the first time and then you have the choice to join them or not immediately afterwards. I think it’d feel more natural if you have a chance to get more information first, and the choice occurs after meeting Vin the second time.
[/quote]

Yes. To an extent that’s intentional - I do want to give the give the feeling that both sides are trying to rush you, and it also fits with their personalities. Vin is an ‘all-or-nothing’ type person. Serel is used to snapping his fingers and having people do his bidding. Neither benefits much from giving you time to think.

As for the ‘what does it mean to be Awoken’ :smiley:
Sounds like I need to expand on the explanation given in the game and the codex. I’ll definitely add in a option to ask Silver about it too, since it’s bad form to leave important info only in the codex.

It’s … kind of several questions in one you have there. In terms of ‘what’s the difference between a normal mage and an Awoken one’ the answer is that mages have a certain fixed reserve of magical energy that limits what they’re able to do. Some have more than others - Malina, for example, is actually something of a rarity born with very strong natural powers, but that doesn’t make her Awoken. Awoken mages have reserves far beyond anything one would be naturally born with, making them able to do much more with much greater effect, and this is not something that occurs by chance (though people in modern Terris don’t really know this, at least not until the MC). They’re basically living superweapons, which is what made Taherys - and if it isn’t clear, Taherys was the only country that knew the secret to this - able to conquer most of the continent.

In terms of ‘what does it mean when people in-game call you Awoken’, well, Terriks tend to have a very rosy view of the past. The Awoken were crucial to building the Empire - even back in those days they were treated with reverence, and 1000 years has only amplified that to the point where they’re outright worshipped. Put this together with the belief that the gift of magic is a blessing from divine ancestors? You get people seeing the MC as … kind of the second coming? They’re a symbol of all the power and glory of the past, one who’s apparently been chosen to wield a gift not seen in a thousand years.
So, you know. No pressure :smiley:

And, in terms of ‘what actually happened to you to make you like this/is the power internal or external’, weellll…
“only you could ever have answered that question”

too bad you’ve forgotten :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Dang it, Scribbles, and here I was hoping you’d manage to confirm for me whether or not Cren would be the type for hot and heavy dancing with missing articles of clothing. :persevere: I’ll have to live on, somehow. /falls dramatically/

On a completely unrelated note, I’m honestly tempted to draw my MC just looking at Cren’s biceps in awe. It sounds like Cren’s one of a kind when it comes to his… figure. I doubt my fella saw many men like him at the Academy. I just really hope my MC carries a handkerchief in his back pocket to wipe off his drool. :joy:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised - not many of the people there lift anything much heavier than books :stuck_out_tongue:
And yeah, Cren is the kind of guy someone bumps into in a bar and goes 'Hey asshole, watch where you’re-“looks up”-I’m terribly sorry, I didn’t see you there."

1 Like

Huh, now you got me curious for the why. (And why you put emphasize on it). Are they just the type to learn that or do they know it because it was part of their “purpose”? And let me guess the answer is: Spoilers!

…So, but Aden does know how to dance, does he? …Will our apprentice accompany us during that ball? No, I don’t just ask because I hope for some close dancing, why would you even think that? :flushed: Though I also wonder how Malina would do during such an event…

But considering it is the first memory Silver wanted to show us, I think we probably can expect that this ball won’t end well? Maybe it’s the moment that will bring the Protector in the position they hold now, or just the beginning of a civil war.

Oh new epileptic trees theory: The king will die and MC will be begged to bring them back but instead the only thing they could produce out of the remains was Silver. And so MC created a being of magic by using what was left of the corpse of the king. Boom, rebels and nobles start a war for reign!

2 Likes

Actually, for once the answer is not spoilers! I just think it’s the kind of thing they’d be interested in learning and be good at. They’ve got superb agility and grace, and a lot of free time to practice in given that they don’t sleep.

You’re in luck! :wink:

There’s several outcomes to the ball … but all have their downsides.

3 Likes

You probably thought I was joking (I wasn’t.) :joy:

Sketch

https://i.gyazo.com/f2eecc5c06d885228b904da4404ace67.png

So, while I’m still in the rough sketch stage, how curly is Cren’s hair? Curlier? Shorter? Something completely different? :laughing:

3 Likes

:sunglasses: That wrist grabbing part right there just flew out of tangent in my head :yum:

Whew :smirk:

2 Likes

Ooh :heart_eyes:
And his hair’s curlier, I’d say.

1 Like

Roger, roger. So, curly more or less like this fella? Or more like this? I’ll probably get to working on it over the weekend. :sweat_smile: These last two days have been oddly exhausting. Like, dang.

Edit: Oh dang. Why didn’t anyone tell me I messed up the coding for the second link. Why’s it even blue if it won’t open? :cold_sweat:

Yeah, like the first guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

The second link didn’t even work… :flushed: I just realized like 3 hours later. If it’s still the case, then awesome. LOL. That should be an easy edit.

So, since I’m trying to take my mind off things… everyone look at this map!

Sorry if the teeny labels are a bit hard to read.

16 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to answer this one, but it’s a good point. The question is, what do you all think would be a better way of expressing personality? Or what type of personality options would you like?

Personally I’d like a sarcastic personality option.

Everybody loves sarcasm.

3 Likes

A comical one, sarcastic at times. Based on our personal choice they could be light headed and funny jokes or dark and mocking. Maybe a stoic one, a more flirty one definitely, a more prideful and angry one, a knight-like one that believes in honor and nobility. That’s all for me.

2 Likes