August 2023 Writer Support Thread

How the heck do ya’ll figure out your “page” counts?

That said, I missed the 15th (cuz I’m a ditz) so here’s my excerpt 3 days late:

Excerpt from Phoenix Rising

Su Mingzhu dislikes you, but ${pc_he} @{(pc_singular) dislikes| dislike} Zhong Luli even more. Standing in the doorway, Zhong Luli was laughing a sharp, hateful laugh. The sneer pulls ${pc_his} lips into an ugly shape, and ${pc_his} crossed arms add a touch of smugness you feel suits them too much. “${pc_Hon_Lower}, you’re so stupid. You think Si Mingzhu would bother with something like that? $!{pc_he}@{(pc_singular) 's|'re} too busy working ${pc_him}self to the bone, and the rest of us with ${pc_him}! $!{pc_he} @{(pc_singular) doesn’t| don’t} have any motive to pull such a trick.”
*line_break
*line_break
“But you do.” You surmise, your own lips mimicking the shape of Zhong Luli’s. To do such a thing, and then to brag about it this way was just wretched.
*if scheming >= good
It’s almost impressive.
*if scheming < good
Why would anyone be so cruel on purpose?
*line_break
*line_break
Zhong Luli laughed, shaking ${pc_his} head. “Even if it was, it wouldn’t matter. You’re worthless. You aren’t wanted here. No one likes you, you know, and Su Mingzhu agrees with me! We’re all just tolerating you. You look down on us like you’re better than us, but really, you’re just some lowly servant’s brat who got sold here by ${pc_his} family, just like the rest of these losers!”
*line_break
*line_break
“But not me!” The other ${pc_title} declared, spreading ${pc_his} arms wide, as if to display ${pc_him}self. “I am here to earn my fortune, to get in good with a good patron, and to marry well! I’m not like the rest of you, you see. I’m going to make something of myself.”
*line_break
*line_break
What a perfectly villainous speech. Your molars hurt with how childish it was. You sigh through your nose, and turn back to Su Mingzhu, who is looking longingly at the dormitory door on the other side of you. You move out of the way, letting ${pc_him} go inside. Clearly, you’d been wrong. @{(bravery > decent) You reach out, patting a hand on Su Mingzhu’s shoulder as a silent apology. | Were you a bit braver, you might have reached out, might have tried to make ammends, before Su Mingzhu left you and Zhong Luli alone.}
*line_break
*line_break
“Light’s out is in five minutes.” Su Mingzhu reminds coldly, slipping away and into the dormitory. $!{pc_his} absence magnifies the awkard silence between yourself and Zhong Luli. It builds to a crackling tension that you feel in your fingertips. You turn your eyes to Zhong Luli.
*line_break
*line_break
*if bloodthirst > decent
“Watch your back, Zhong Luli. I don’t forgive those who harm others.”
*if bloodthirst <= decent
“You’re going to end up alone, Zhong Luli, if you keep treating people this way.”
You say, staring down your nose at the other ${pc_title}, before turning to head back inside.

I’ve also put up a Demo and a written up an example of my RO system.

Hey, you got 200 more words done than you would have if you had quit! That’s AMAZING! It can be REALLY hard to fight through your brain soup to be able to get something out. You should celebrate! Have a candy! Or an episode of your favorite show!

6 Likes