August 2023 Writer Support Thread

That’s lovely! :smiley:

3 Likes

Halfway.

August is going well. My original goal was to get the last of the known errors/enhancements finished and begin beta testing in July, thinking it would be the first week.

Missed that by a month and started beta with Patrons on Aug 2. Ran that longer than expected and started first wave of forum beta testers yesterday.

My goal is still the same for the rest of August, finish play testing with my son (we’re on the last chapter!) and keep up with bugs/suggestions from my beta testers. I’ll likely let in the next wave on Monday.

Congrats on everyone’s accomplishments!

9 Likes

I am posting the first two chapters to my re-WIP “Gemini: The Winds of Change” as I type this. Did about 4 hours or so of spell checking today---- fingers crossed I don’t make a fool out of myself…again. I pretty much rewrote the entire thing using the old story as an outline of sorts. I am praying that someone finds it interesting.

Good luck to all in their writing endeavors!

p.s I am finishing-up “The City of Mirrors” by Justin Cronin---- 3rd in a trilogy. I highly recommend it. The first book is called “The Passage”.

8 Likes

I am just sit here with a blank page trying to return writing my game again. It is being really hard, but I am stubbornly determined to not move from here until have at least a scene done.

Edit I was able to do a scene of not even 200 words in five hours…

11 Likes

How the heck do ya’ll figure out your “page” counts?

That said, I missed the 15th (cuz I’m a ditz) so here’s my excerpt 3 days late:

Excerpt from Phoenix Rising

Su Mingzhu dislikes you, but ${pc_he} @{(pc_singular) dislikes| dislike} Zhong Luli even more. Standing in the doorway, Zhong Luli was laughing a sharp, hateful laugh. The sneer pulls ${pc_his} lips into an ugly shape, and ${pc_his} crossed arms add a touch of smugness you feel suits them too much. “${pc_Hon_Lower}, you’re so stupid. You think Si Mingzhu would bother with something like that? $!{pc_he}@{(pc_singular) 's|'re} too busy working ${pc_him}self to the bone, and the rest of us with ${pc_him}! $!{pc_he} @{(pc_singular) doesn’t| don’t} have any motive to pull such a trick.”
*line_break
*line_break
“But you do.” You surmise, your own lips mimicking the shape of Zhong Luli’s. To do such a thing, and then to brag about it this way was just wretched.
*if scheming >= good
It’s almost impressive.
*if scheming < good
Why would anyone be so cruel on purpose?
*line_break
*line_break
Zhong Luli laughed, shaking ${pc_his} head. “Even if it was, it wouldn’t matter. You’re worthless. You aren’t wanted here. No one likes you, you know, and Su Mingzhu agrees with me! We’re all just tolerating you. You look down on us like you’re better than us, but really, you’re just some lowly servant’s brat who got sold here by ${pc_his} family, just like the rest of these losers!”
*line_break
*line_break
“But not me!” The other ${pc_title} declared, spreading ${pc_his} arms wide, as if to display ${pc_him}self. “I am here to earn my fortune, to get in good with a good patron, and to marry well! I’m not like the rest of you, you see. I’m going to make something of myself.”
*line_break
*line_break
What a perfectly villainous speech. Your molars hurt with how childish it was. You sigh through your nose, and turn back to Su Mingzhu, who is looking longingly at the dormitory door on the other side of you. You move out of the way, letting ${pc_him} go inside. Clearly, you’d been wrong. @{(bravery > decent) You reach out, patting a hand on Su Mingzhu’s shoulder as a silent apology. | Were you a bit braver, you might have reached out, might have tried to make ammends, before Su Mingzhu left you and Zhong Luli alone.}
*line_break
*line_break
“Light’s out is in five minutes.” Su Mingzhu reminds coldly, slipping away and into the dormitory. $!{pc_his} absence magnifies the awkard silence between yourself and Zhong Luli. It builds to a crackling tension that you feel in your fingertips. You turn your eyes to Zhong Luli.
*line_break
*line_break
*if bloodthirst > decent
“Watch your back, Zhong Luli. I don’t forgive those who harm others.”
*if bloodthirst <= decent
“You’re going to end up alone, Zhong Luli, if you keep treating people this way.”
You say, staring down your nose at the other ${pc_title}, before turning to head back inside.

I’ve also put up a Demo and a written up an example of my RO system.

Hey, you got 200 more words done than you would have if you had quit! That’s AMAZING! It can be REALLY hard to fight through your brain soup to be able to get something out. You should celebrate! Have a candy! Or an episode of your favorite show!

6 Likes

It is my birthday today! I haven’t been doing much writing for the last three weeks or so while on holiday, but I did write about a third of my Matia character study yesterday, and today I got to swim in the sea which was splendid.

24 Likes

Happy birthday to the one and only creator of the Creme franchise! :sparkles:

In other news, I moved house two weeks ago and things are still kind of rough out here on my side- adjusting is a pain, even more painful than creating movesets for characters, so expect updates to be more as and when rather than a fixed schedule.

6 Likes

Happy birthday, Hannah!

5 Likes

Happy birthday to one of the best members of this community!

6 Likes

Wishing you a very happy birthday! :tada:

2 Likes

@RockmanX @JBento @AletheiaKnights @Sailingshells thank you so much :face_holding_back_tears:

After the beach trip I had a really nice evening roaming around the fields with my mum watching sheep, spotting a deer, visiting a tiny local 17th century burial ground and getting alarmed by sinister shapes in the hedgerow, hehe!

12 Likes

Happy Birthday Hannah :partying_face:

4 Likes

Not too late to greet you happy birthday.

4 Likes

Hannppy PSirthday!

5 Likes

Tomorrow is the first day of the semester, so my writing will slow down. Whoever decided an 8 am class for college students was a good idea should be fired :joy:

4 Likes

Baldur’s Gate 3 has not been good for my productivity :grimacing:

7 Likes

tell me Astarion is not good for my productivity… And I have already Starfield installed in my S. Bethesda me and a holiday month

4 Likes

Here’s hoping the fact I had a computer table put in the corner of my living room and am back at work means I can start writing consistently again. I want to finish my Halloween jam entry by the end of September and then begin work on my next main project in October.

7 Likes

I’m very excited to say my chapter’s first draft is complete as of yesterday :partying_face: I have no idea how, lol. Technically I worked on it a little back in July so the total time probably amounts to roughly a month. I usually average one chapter every three months so I’m over the moon right now! :smile: :sparkles::crescent_moon:

8 Likes

Congratulations on everyone’s writing progress and outdoor excursions. If I had a big fancy computer, I might be ensconced in video games also. Had a big hickory fire in the pit Friday night---- and maybe some drunken croquet and good music.

I was not laughed-off the forum this go-around on my first two publicly posted chapters---- received some excellent feedback and encouraging words. I think the word ‘fun’ was even used.

Continued Goals: Strengthen my story telling ability; avoid and eliminate cheap humor and work to deepen humor within the social context of the story.

Write Strong

12 Likes