Are there choices that a game shouldn't give a player? (Was: Are games inherently trivializing?)

The original topic was turning into a bit of a straw man; so let’s look at something where I think people will be more consistently willing to disagree. Are there choices that a game shouldn’t give a player?

I’ve agreed in the past that rape is such a choice:

And on this thread we’ve had Dan stating that genocide counts:

Now, maybe genocide should be out of bounds, but I’m not convinced by the reason Dan offers. Like @Eiwynn, I don’t think that a game choice inherently represents its options as comparable. By that argument, not only do we have a lot of COG games that trivialize murder (which, let’s face it, we do) but it’s impossible to write it any other way – right? If game choices are inevitably received as comparable, interactive fiction can offer nothing deeper than, “To kill, or not to kill, or to have a nap and a sandwich.”

But I think @Fiogan is right that we already have some examples of games that frame the choice of murder (and indeed genocide) in a non-trivializing way – that treat the characters who are killed as more than objects in a game. @Cataphrak and I are both trying to write series that are to a large extent about atrocity and mass murder, and which will offer players the option to become monsters. I don’t think that either series is doomed to be trivializing, though we could yet get it wrong.

If it’s OK to give the choice of mass murder, why not rape? I tried to answer that on that other, five-year-old thread – a very capably written gangster game, where the MC was in a situation that in real life could very plausibly lead to a choice of rape. I suggested that the difference has to do with the way I think the different stories are likely to be received:

So if that’s what I think about some immoral choices, what about genocide? There are obviously strands in our culture that would justify genocide, too; we’re seeing them more starkly than ever, with the President’s demonizing language toward various categories of immigrants. But that’s in vivid tension with the way our culture still holds up genocide as the ultimate evil, the Nazi Sin that forever justified using them as conscience-free FPS fodder alongside aliens, devils, and robots.

That contradiction is big and important enough that I’d welcome art that explores it properly – because I think at the end of it, most readers would have a reaction like @Fiogan’s. A game that walked a player through the path that leads to genocide, that shows how a path seemingly consistent with American ideals arrives at something universally recognized as a horror, could be ham-handed and trivializing. It could even be destructive, if the author ended up writing something that many readers took as justification for genocide. But it could also be devastatingly good, and an important art work for our cultural moment.

I respect the “artists’ only responsibility is to themselves” perspective – even if I don’t agree that it’s the last word.

I believe in creativity, in taking risks and stretching out of our comfort zones. I believe in stories that echo the moral ambiguity of the world (i.e. that don’t have big simple morals-of-the-story, where villains aren’t necessarily punished or revealed to be sympathetic after all). I definitely believe it’s important for people to try to write characters and experiences other than their own.

And then once we’ve created, I think part of being a creator is accepting a measure of responsibility for how it’s received. Because stories do shape the way we think; if we write certain characters as mere objects in a power fantasy, we’re contributing to a broader culture that treats some people as objects.

One of my pet peeves in the project proposals I review is the use of “ensure” in all kinds of cases where we can do nothing of the kind. :slight_smile: I don’t think we can ensure very much as writers, including our readers’ sleeping habits. Like @RedRoses said, " there is no writer skilled enough to make every single person who makes that choice feel the horror and guilt that should be felt behind that decision."

I know in advance that some people are going to draw morals from my work that I didn’t put there. I share some responsibility for whatever they find there, and I’m ready to accept that responsibility; but it’s not going to keep me from writing, including about topics where there’s a significant chance of my writing something inadvertently awful. I’ll listen to criticism as I write, and make use of it where it rings true, and my work will be stronger for it.

tl;dr - yeah, pretty much.

9 Likes