Any reviews?

Sorry if I was unclear before, I meant that the missions were always the same. I only found 2 or 3 of the endings though, so maybe I just didn’t play hard enough. Also, I personally would be against a romance scene, I just don’t think it would fit in. I’d love to see a sequel with more of the world explored and maybe some extra aliens :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really enjoyed it. Games with a strong humorous element are always going to divide people I suspect, simply because of how subjective “funny” is.

I especially liked the way that the stats and decisions blended together well in affecting how the story progressed.

Some of the comparisons made on the blog between it and Apex Patrol were unfair. Aside from both being sci-fi, the two games really don’t have much in common as far as genre is concerned.

Apex Patrol was very much full-on hard sci-fi space opera, whereas Star Captain was a lot more character driven. The interactions back as StratComm were at least as important to the story as the missions.

If it reminded me of anything, it was a more warmhearted, less cynical, Bill the Galactic Hero.

The only minor criticism I have is about the tests sequence. As an old school Paranoia tabletop GM, I’m generally entirely in favour of tormenting players by making them do paperwork. But, while that part was amusing, it dragged on a bit too long for my tastes.

1 Like

And, for all you people belly-aching about the similarities between Apex Patrol and Star Captain, we have a third space game coming out in November, the long-awaited “the Fleet”, as well as two other games in the first three or four months of the new year.

1 Like

I hope it doesn’t have spaceships in it. Otherwise I’m going to write it off as an imitation before we start.

It’s like when Radiohead brought out an album with guitars on it. It was obvious they were just trying to be Napalm Death.

@Dorian could you possibly tell me all of the endings to the final chapter? I have found a few, but mainly failed due to the wrong stats, and am too lazy to play through again several times :stuck_out_tongue:

Redgrave, I’d be happy to, though I’d rather not post such huge spoilers in this thread. I’ll see if I can send you a private message.

@Dorian Thanks!

Sent.

I’ll jump in here and add that I loved Lloyd, he cracked me up and I sorely needed it. I also really enjoyed the homages to Star Trek, Futurama, Hitchhiker’s Guide–and others. It was a great game and I had a fun time playing it. So, thanks!

1 Like

Just an idea, maybe instead of having all the stats decided so close to the start, and that being that for the game, maybe decide them at the start then, when you make a decision your stats can change. I feel it would improve the game. Also, some stats don’t get used very much. Fitness is only used in the hotel, and on the megaferret planet, bravado is (I think) only used in one possible ending and engineering and improvisation don’t get used as much as piloting/diplomacy, particularly in important missions. Just an idea though :slight_smile:

I loved this game so much I instantly joined the forums to comment! Sure, I agree with Redgrave when it comes to stats; the gameplay didn’t seem fair or balanced to me. But the writing was QUALITY - so much that I ended up rushing through the gameplay, only interested in getting to the next scene where Lloyd, Salazar or the Blob would appear. I don’t think any other of the CoG stories made me as invested in the characters as this one.

My favorite things about the game were -

The random choices at the start of the game (which were fully explained at the end) - they were hilarious!! I love answering questionaires and the sheer nonsense of it was great.

Salazar acting mysterious because he thought that’s how he should behave (and totally failing at it)

Lloyd. A more affable Marvin - he was adorable, and in my last scene with him I still wanted to strangle him. My first death in the game was by beating him senseless (I believe everyone should try this one)!

The conclusion. I died, but it still was a satisfying end that wrapped things up.

What I didn’t like so much -

The missions felt dragged. I couldn’t care less about what I was supposed to do. My instinct was to finish them as quickly as possible to move the story forward.

The game part of the story. Maybe it’d be best off as a novel, IDK? I think the problem with the satisfying end is that I don’t really feel compelled to play again (despite my eagerness to capture more interesting tidbits of the story, it feels like I already saw most of it).

1 Like