An Unexpectedly Green Journey (orc life-simulator) [1.5+ Million Words] OUT NOW!

Originally, there was going to be branches from a great many of the earlier paths, although they got cut down. The city and bounty ones remained a bit longer, before too being cut down.

The bounty hunters would just be part of a free update. It isn’t really a path, just extra events that I wouldn’t feel right charging for.

I am swimming in variables- for any big new content, I would have to slim systems down. The complexities of some of the loops make simple changes hard in places like the Adventuring Path.

Hmm… I will give it all great thought. But possible DLC would not be for a good while.

EDIT: Good idea to have the recipe book add bonuses to the Big Belly path!

@BismDweller

I didn’t see the exact error, I wondered if it might be a remnant of an old playthrough?

But I will introduce labels to look for if you wore shaman garb first.

Also- were you playing from a checkpoint you used before the update?

AHA- Caught it!

@ZipZoop

Thanks ZipZoop, so glad you enjoyed this game. And I remember you from the forum for A Shriek of Ash and Fire- double thanks for supporting me there too!

@zachinglis

Yes, very weird- I didn’t even touch that part of the code!

Okay- Do you remember exactly what the option was? (just helps to find it)

After the last update, did you continue from an old checkpoint?

Hi again Zach- at present, it is best to start a new playthrough. I have to get the patch files to Hosted Games very soon, I am not sure if this is a quirk of the new checkpoint system, using an old version of the game after updates, since I have not touched the code around any of the checkpoints. It has left me baffled, for now.

4 Likes

Hi again folks,

A few minor things will soon be patched. After this, I don’t want to fiddle with Green for at least a month so as to not disturb player progress.

I have heard from K that An Unexpectedly Green Journey is doing extremely well in terms of sales and reviews. :smiley: The ballpark sales figure is something I am very pleasantly shocked by!

This is fantastic! I am very chuffed because for a moment, yesterday, I thought it might not have gained the attention of the general HG and CoG audience.

Big Green Love to all of you who gave me feedback, support, reviews and bugs to knock this orc into shape!

7 Likes

My friend this game not gaining attention was impossible , you have truly created something fresh and new in an environment(no offense to anyone) that was starting to become a bit stale , you have breathed a new life and interest in HG games and you deserve every penny coming your way , i only hope that by the end of the month sales exceed your expectations and we readers get to see more such unique and interesting works from you in future,

3 Likes

Amazing praise! Thanks so much, even more so for your constant support, mate.

When I started making Green, I had only played a few choicescript games (more now). I didn’t have a clue about audience expectations or trends. In many ways, Green is similar to more old-school text games, at least this is how I see it, so it is ‘going back to the future’ perhaps? :slight_smile:

I am just glad that many players have taken a chance to try something, which I now know is, a little different. Really, I just made a game I would buy and thought ‘If I like this, at least some others will too.’ This is the wonder of Hosted Games and, right now, I feel happy to have my work accepted by the community which encourages me to want to do even more. No other platform presents such an open opportunity to anyone who writes or makes games.

Although, I am very cynical and get superstitious about things going well. We all know the world has dirty tricks up its sleevse. Don’t want to jinx it!

So for now, I will relish the good news and know that you, and others, have enjoyed a world and adventure I have conjured up. I mean, if an asteroid smashed into the Earth tomorrow and civilization ended, few people could say that they created a 1.5 million-word orc game. Perhaps few would want to say it. But I am happy to :smiley:

Cheers, mate, and best wishes!

7 Likes

Armour working now, great work on catching it! It was a new game.

2 Likes

The armour thing was an important bug to get. Can’t have your shaman without their trinkets. Also, gave me a chance to adjust a couple of other things.

Now, I will leave the game alone for a while. I will still list bugs and stuff, to patch at a future time, but am very conscious that updates reset all progress, particularly in a game with so many loops like mine. I imagine updating can prompt a wave of upset players and hit review scores but I wanted to try and get a settled game out there.

I think/hope/pray the more annoying bugs have been hunted down now.

Cheers for sticking with it, mate. I know that progress resets are very frustrating.

5 Likes

How do you able to get the Normal Orc City path?

1 Like

I think this is an unfinished path that never got released in the final game, because the creator didn’t want it to be too similar to the shaman city path (Maybe). Maybe it might be released as one of the DLC Paths, maybe not

2 Likes

I love this game but I have run into a bug. I just started going down the shaman path and died right away. Now, whenever I try to reload an earlier save, I get the YOUR LIFE AS AN ORC HAS COME TO AN END screen. It also says the game has updated in the bottom corner. Is there anyway to fix this or am I forced to restart?

1 Like

@Charlie2
Hi Charlie,

EDIT: Just noticed it was your first post- Welcome, mate!

Sorry about this, you will have to update. The game may not function correctly now, as much has changed in the update. The bug may well be because the old version conflicts with the new version.

It is the way choice script works when it updates, most games reset everything. Mine is even more likely to do this because of how it loops.

Forgive the frustration, I do apologise. In hindsight, I should have waited longer before an update but I wanted to get any bugs fixed ASAP to ensure the best experience. I do not plan to update for a while now that I know it resets progress.

Please let me know if you come across anything like this after the update and I will add it to a list for a patch- but not for a while so I don’t disturb progress.

@RedFromis_9 @Patrick_Cody02

Yes, as Patrick said, the ‘normal’ city was once a possible option. It was content I didn’t develop as it came across as samey. In future, if I find a better way of doing it, it could be a DLC.

8 Likes