An adventure of EPIC proportions. Input?

it’s alright! not a big deal. i appreciate that you took the time to apologize for a relatively minor thing, and also the fact you’re taking the time to learn more. i’ll send over that pm in a bit.

already a few romantic walks with? Hmmm this choice really depends on their personality to be quite honest, normally i dont get interested in their personality , the choice would be pretty clear, I would go on the patrol with my friend,

…“It could go Either way” Dota 2 Oracle

I’m not saying that I don’t want the friendship route being undermined, just because I said I would go with the princess route instead of walking with my friend, I mean, I would think that my friend would understand my decision and that he/she would back me in it. Friendship is important and I will probably choose that option the first time I play, I’m just saying that I am more than likely going to choose the princess option the second and third time, seeing the differences that it can make, and how different decisions after that effect the whole of the story.

New question that I am very interested in hearing about! Of all the rpg’s I’ve played, one of my favorite things to do is being able to just run into a base or something and being able to obliterate hundreds of enemies either because they are so weak or I’m so powerful. What is your favorite enemy creature you’ve ever come across or favorite thing to kill? Like those damn murlocs. Mrglrglmrglmrrrlggg!

I gotta go with the the banshees from Fable 2. Strong, creepy, and the only creatures that I know of to break the fourth wall.

3 Likes

@Zane_Hiam
Unfortunately I never played Fable II, only Fable III. Probably would have loved it. Anyone giving away an Xbox 360? xD

… cue me rifling through all the games i own. although i’ve just sort of forgotten everything about the older games–i didn’t even know i had some of these!

loved the enemies in red rogue, and the game in general. it wasn’t anything particularly complex or ‘epic’, but it was satisfying. a lot of the battles in classic fallout series were tense as hell, but i particularly enjoyed battling the humans–same could be said of the caravaneer series, though that never gets easy. my first battle with a deathclaw was entirely unexpected and i was panicking so hard. first enemy that really got my heart pounding would be the dragons in skyrim, though, 'cause i really cared for my horse. but in that game, i most enjoyed stealth kills from afar, so bandits were my favorite enemy. and, while i dislike the game itself, killing the early enemies in kh:bbs as aqua when she’s more powerful was tons of fun. pop, pop, pop, pop, pop.

beyond that, i generally really enjoyed the combat in black flag and the balverines in fable initially had me panicking (which is good) because they got close so fast, but eventually they just kind of got irritating more than anything (not as good). incidentally, the banshees didn’t affect me at all since they only really took four shots after you’re done with their shadow children, and i couldn’t really hear them over the sound of gunshots either way. i also didn’t really think they were breaking the fourth wall–more a play on words disparaging the hero for going on the quests theresa sends them on.

but, though i haven’t played the game itself, i think the colossi from shadow of the colossus are the best enemies. i also think i’d probably have enjoyed the prototype series.

4 Likes

Deathclaws, man the deathclaws. In Fallout New Vegas, there is the highway past, is it Quarry Junction, and there are so many deathclaws, I ran down it the first time I went there. I died so quick it wasn’t even funny, it took me a whole 24 hours to finally get past it without dying. Man did I love it though, second would be the dragons in Skyrim though, especially when I found a glitch were a dragon would keep spawning right where I was and I couldn’t get away. Happy times, such happy times.

your stuff kinda reminds me of the book ready player one it’s a good book that I would recomend reading as I have read it so meny times. smiley-face

“Think of the endless hours you’ve wasted playing this game, when you could have been leading a real life!”

-Banshee, Fable 2.

3 Likes

if i’m right, isn’t that a mashup of two of their quotes?

“Think about all the endless hours you’ve wasted playing this game. And for what? Nothing!”

“Think of all the time you’ve wasted fighting blame, when you could have been leading a normal life.”

the second is clearly about the time hero has spent trying to exact revenge on lucien, and the former could still just be wordplay. it seems very odd for this to be the one sentence they say that breaks the fourth wall.
… and also, finishing fabIIe doesn’t really take that long on average. so. i mean, at least there could be a semblance of truth to the other things they say, but it’s just a really weird thing overall, imo.

I always have trouble understanding them, but I just looked it up on the wiki and you’re right. However, it also says on the wiki that the first quote is almost undoubtedly a fourth wall joke. And finally, I’d just like to say that it took me 30+ hours to beat Fable 2, but I did do a lot of side quests.

there we go, thanks! bit out of place, considering the other things they say, but i suppose that could be taken as creepy. i took about the same time to complete it with plenty of sidequests, but y’know, it’s not exactly a timesink. sort of the average length of most games by big studios, really. but i guess it depends on how much you value your time.

True, it’s just the first time I heard that quote, I actually paused the game and looked at myself, playing a video game on one of my hard-earned vacation days, piles of junk food around my pale, morbidly obese body. Friggin banshees from Fable 2 made me question what I was doing with my life! I blasted it with a fully-charged fireball spell and drank a coke. I showed it!

1 Like

I remember the time I walked in on a battle between a giant and a dragon.
I just stood there knowing that the second I stepped in that I would be mashed to a fine paste.
Giant won the fight then I killed it by hitting it and moving left and right to avoid the direct hit of its club.

Interesting feedback, ‘note to self: people enjoy banshee commentary and giants vs dragons.’

My next question is a serious game changing decision that I want the public’s opinion on. In many other CoG games, and just about every rpg game out there, it is possible for you, the main character, to die. In my opinion death has always been very immersion breaking. Excluding games where death is part of the plot, obviously if the story continues then the character didn’t die and now I have to start over from wherever I last saved and replay all that content… However, if you aren’t trying to avoid death then where is the challenge? How do you feel about the topic of death and should you be able to die in this story driven game? If Yes, then what do you think could be done to minimize the issue of immersion loss? If No, then what do you feel could be done to still give the game some challenge or sense of loss?
Also I’m aware that you guys don’t know the plot of the story quite yet so don’t worry about saying something that doesn’t align completely, I’ll still get the premise of the idea.

I think there should most definitely be death.
I think the reason it is so immersion breaking is that when games do death its more.
“YOU HAVE DIED”
And less the end of the story.
Maybe some form of epilogue when we die and have the game end there?

1 Like

As a general rule I’m okay with death, as long as it’s from a stat check and not a random choice like “Go left.” Or “Go right.”

I think I should be able to die, if I don’t have the stats to kill an enemy or something

… actually, though the banshees didn’t bother me, the crawler in fabl3 did. an oppressive voice you can’t get rid of and hear over everything else? just more relatable to a lot of people, and in general more effective.

death is both fine and valuable in games, and i agree with @faewkless on why it is sometimes immersion breaking. but the good thing about interactive fiction is that bad endings are a thing. it can simply be part of the story without taking away from it–though i certainly do love the way tin star handles it.

but, if you wouldn’t want to implement death as a bad end, why not failure of the main goal or side goals? show the consequences of failure, and, even better–allow the player to live with it. i really do think the best thing you can do in these kinds of games is show the consequences of your actions, even if they’re not always technically failuresin one of the endings for fabIIe, for example, you lose your dog. at the end of shadow of the colossus, you lose your horse. in classic fallout, it was very much possible to fail your primary goal, but iirc it would not end the game. all of these things can hurt deeply and encourage the player to either change the way they played or accept it, at least for that particular playthrough. that’s much the same way death works in interactive fiction–a fair death, that is.