True enough, the Americans had far more technologically capabilities and a larger force than the Vietcong and they (the Vietcong) suffered horrendous casualty rates especially the civilians of Vietnam due to the Americans stupidly- my heart goes out to them I.e My lai
It was absolutely appalling that the Americans killed civilians just because they though they were Vietcong. If I’m correct there was a rule passed during the Geneva convention that forebode the indiscriminate killing of civilians, which the United States absolutely did. Agent Orange was responsible for deaths of thousands of civilians, and it’s considered a chemical weapon, which were outlawed in 1925. I am surprised that there wasn’t an international trial on the United States for the indiscriminate killing of civilians and children. Goes to show that even Democratic countries hold double standards.
True enough with any superpower we abide by the rules when it suits and break them when it suits, the Americans use of napalm as well devastated the countryside and caused sever burns,I believe there is a famous photo of a girl that suffered from it, agent Orange also had horrible effects on unborn children causing them to have aberrations and other mutations that ruined their lives and still is to this day, that’s why I loved the idea of including a Vietcong path although you play as an American soldier due to the draft, and I say that as a Scottish person in britain
So give the player the ability to swap sides?
If you had time it would be a great idea as it would give more diversity to the story
I’m not in a time crunch, so I see no reason not to add it other than my will power.
Good luck!
As a Viet, I can see a controversy of adding a “joining” Vietcong storyline. The Viet community, especially the Vietnamese-American community, detest Vietcong for various reasons (and in some aspect, China for their own involvement). Adding on to that, many of my relatives, all of whom have served in the Vietnam War on America’s side, have fought Vietcong and aren’t scared to admit they’ve proudly killed some of them. I don’t necessarily like the Viet Cong either, since my grandfather was 10-year prisoner in a war concentration camp run by Viet Cong and the Northern Vietnamese government.
Anyways, I can see a perhaps “sympathetic” storyline (Tom 'O Brien’s books, in a way, sympathize with not only the American soldiers roped in the war, but also Viet Cong and normal citizens caught in the middle of it), but joining them is a bit far-fetch.
Also, if my history is correct, the Viet Cong committed as much atrocities as the Americans did with napalm and My Lai massacre and etc. They equally massacred and targeted their own villages as part of their war strategy. (Okay, I’m droning on now so I’m going to stop)
@Cajun_Turk Of course, this is your story, so even if you do decide going this type of route, it’s a historical fiction, so as long as it flows smoothly, it might be okay! I just wanted to note some Vietnamese-American grievances.
Also, side-note, I definitely don’t agree with the war (it’s the cause of distrust in government and political unrest today), but it arguably changed the lives of my ancestors, and therefore, me 
My original intent was to give the player the option to play as the a Vietnam soldier from the get go. Id prefer to it this way than the other to prevent breaking the suspension of disbelief, choppy or rough transition to the other army, and I don’t have to worry about writing the soldiers distrust to the player since he was originally American.
It’s a very interesting concept but I have a few questions primarily y is there an air Force path but not Marines or navy. Also at the time agent orange wasn’t considered a chemical weapon. And was only considered that after the lesser form of it DDT was causing health and environmental problems in the States.
I’m not focused on the navy nor the marines because I want the battles to take place in the jungle, and Idk much about the naval battles of the war. I know the first naval battle was the reason for the war, but that’s the extent of my knowledge.
I was actually hoping someone were to bring this up. This exact incident took place during the Nuremburg Trials of the Nazis saying it wasn’t illegal at the time, and now they are being held for those illegal things. Just because it wasn’t a chemical when it was first used, doesn’t stop it from being a chemical weapon. The United States can be held responsible for their use of Agent Orange, but are not. They caused a humanitarian crisis, and they should be held responsible for it. If they are going to hold the Nazis for using zyklon b on the jews even though it wasn’t a chemical weapon at the time, then the US should be responsible for the deaths or the damage of unborn children for the use of Agent Orange.
Thanks for responding @Cajun_Turk I brought up the Navy bc they’re major function in the water was actually patrolling the rivers in Vietnam I think the movie Apocalypse Now is a good example and also the seals. And also I brought up the Marines bc of their heavy jungle combat experience not to mention their Combined Action Platoons that fought to protect the hamlets. I only bring it up bc I was confused about y u put the airforce as an option. Bc my some of my great uncles were AF enlisted personal and the stories I’ve heard were that if u weren’t a pilot the only way u could get close to action were if u were dropping leaflets or agent orange and they also had plans that served as gunships otherwise they just pranked the locals
Swift boats right. I would have to some extensive research on how the patrols worked. The marines I the Vietnam war held key points, but did not engage much in offensive combat. They were the logistics men.
How I’m going to make the air force work is that you have commanders asking for air support or extraction and you have to chose who are you going to support. There will be three air force planes that the player can become proficient in. The attack helicopter, the bomber, and the transport helicopter. Each one has their own respective role, and consequences.
Ok I’m starting to understand where you’re trying to take the game. Have some major battles like hamburger hill and the incursions into Cambodia and ur also having the enemy be mostly the Vietcong and not the regular NVA soldiers. Also I understand that coding can b a problem as well
Coding is easy for me, its the writing that I’m worried about. And yea that the general direction of the game. Like the demo took me 8 hours due to writing.
Ok I understand I’ve been working on some stories myself. And what I meant by coding is that in Vietnam the Army and the Corps were equipped so differently like the army started out using M16s while the Marines we’re using M14s two vastly different weapons
The marines and the seals used the stoner not the m14 well not during the current year. Nevertheless it is still easy to program since both are automatic weapons, but have dramatically different ranges, fire rates, weight, sound, structure, ammo, and something else I can’t remember
This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the @moderators.
