Alright, two questions

First question, what is the exact definition of a Vignette in CoG terms? Is it the ‘chapter’ or is it a set of choices within a main choice? I’m quite confused on it and can’t seem to find the ‘term’ anywhere in the forums or the site.

Second question, well, more of a problem. My first test scene works fine, but it won’t move on to the next scene. I’ve got the *finish in the right places in my first scene, so I think it’s the mygame.js file, but I really can’t tell what the problem is…

// Specify the list of scenes here, separated by commas, with no final comma

nav = new SceneNavigator([
“startup”
,“animal”

]);

// Specify the default starting stats here

stats = {
leadership: 50
,strength: 50
};

// Specify the stats to use in debug mode

debugStats = {
leadership: 50
,strength: 50
};

// or just use defaults
// debugStats = stats

Ah, found out my scene problem. Everything was perfect in my programming, the only problem was that my browser (Safari) cached the file and always showed me the old version without the added chapters. So, quit safari, fired up my story again, and viola, it worked. :slight_smile: But I did find out a very, interesting, programming ‘thing’ while messing around, bonus for me, still experimenting with it though.

Now, still. Vignettes… I think I know more about them, but not as well as I’d like.
I believe that they’re the cloud of ideas/paths you can take within a scene? If not, should probably be told what they are before I get too off. Thanks!

I think of a vignette as a succinct set of choices all dealing with a subsection of a scene. If you played my CoG game, you’ll remember a section on the ground floor, leaving an apartment building. To me, interacting with police is a vignette. You have to bribe, con, or fight your way out. 3-4 choices affect the outcome but all of them comprise a vignette.

If you played the official CoG games, the intro of each one are vignettes.

The term is probably more meaningful to each individual writer. My use of the term may be right to me but another writer may consider a scene as a vignette.

Alright, thanks much JimD. It does seem that it is a hazy term, but it’s good to hear it explained from another viewpoint.

Vignette = unique .txt file in the /scenes/ folder.

@jasonstevanhill Ah sorry, I didn’t realize it was a scene.

Alright, awesome to know that from the CoG’s perspective. Thanks Jason.

I mean, a proper vignette should have certain qualities to it that are less easy to define (a certain length and structure, for example), but the basic definition is the technical one.