Aetherian Spell Academy [wip] Chapter 1-5 available. Chapter 6 in progress (Updated 1/8/18)

As I said, it can work, but it shouldn’t just be set up as “this country only uses magic, and this one only uses technology” without any kind of explanation as to why.

2 Likes

Yes, without spoiling too much, darkness will receive its own special pathways

2 Likes

By Status, I assume you mean titles? If so, then yes. And yes, your school friend will always be friendly.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, and the generalist choices will never punish players. It will simply mean they will miss out on a few things.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I was also worried it might be too quick, but more character development in the next chapter. It will not be as quick as the first one in terms of pacing.

1 Like

Well, maybe you could add in some extra things for the generalists, as well, just to keep things balanced? :smile:

1 Like

That might be interesting. It could end up becoming a “true neutral” choice. I will see what is possible, thanks for the advice.

1 Like

It sounds good I keep going to th dark side

Hmm, well done! But I really resent that we can only learn Dark Magic on one path…

Others have shared this disappointment as well, I will see about adding another path for darkness; instead of locking it to the very first choice.

It would be nice if the skills had an explaination at the beginning. I first chose the talented magic parents, but then restarted because I would try to create disasters like the waffomlette.

How do skills work? Is it best just to keep increasing the same skill over and over again? I see that we can specifically target our weak skill, so that makes me think all skills will come up at some point and I will get dinged because I have strong conjuring skills, but not enough mana or something. This could lead to one certain skill being more important than the others if you try to go for a combo of skills, but picking one skill to always increase has it’s weaknesses too.

2 Likes

I want players to freely choose whatever skills meets their fancy. The game will always respect the player’s choice by providing multiple options to victory. Even if you chose to specialize in conjuration, you won’t be punished just because you didn’t level up your healing or vice versa. I’d like to respect the player’s choice and allow multiple open paths for any skill you might choose. Don’t worry, about picking the “wrong” skill, as there will always be more than one option for success.

7 Likes

This looks interesting!

Love it. Can’t wait to see more.

When I first read the name of this game, I raised an eyebrow, “Spell Academy” is, quite honestly, an unattractive name for a game. And also a strange name for an academy.

Playing through it though, I was pleasantly surprised. It’s better than I initially expected it to be. Keep up the good work man. This shows promise.

Question time!

1.) Is it possible to meet up with any of the students we didn’t pick up as friends later in the game?

2.) Is Darkness just a stat for dark magic, or is it also a stat for how evil you are?

Yes, the other students will have an appearance later in the game, but only as brief encounters.

Darkness is only a measure of your skill in dark magic. Your character’s evilness is measured by the Hostility stat in personality.

“Spell Academy” was always a placeholder title, but I do intend to change it.

4 Likes

This is perfection :star_struck:

3 Likes

Chapter 2 has been released. First bisexual romance is introduced.

Take note that during one particular event, there are multiple endings and rewards. It all depends on what you specialize in.

7 Likes

The game seems very interesting, I’m definitely going to use dark magic a lot :smiling_imp:
Anyway how old actually is the character we are playing (not sure if it has been answered already or not)?

You begin the game when you are ten years old. By the time summer school begins, you are twelve years old in the game. You progressively get older as the years go by.

2 Likes