A SHRIEK OF ASH AND FIRE (WIP) [128k UPDATE, 378k TOTAL-15th September 2024] (481K on Patreon)

@Lucifur-dark

1)I’m not sure I get what you mean with point 1- which name?

1. I thought about this and was tempted to add harsher choices. However, as we are starting out, you take the reigns of a character who has been used to a life of petty crime, mucking around within a close-knit community of tearaways. As of yet, you haven’t engaged in any profound acts of violence or wrongdoing.- Though you can set in motion the foundation of your character to become much crueller.

Niave as your character is, he/she starts off seeing the world as a bit of a game. Though soon find out otherwise.

3)- Yes, I can see this- an expression of futility. I will look into the wording to cover both fear and futility- an internal upheaval for your character.

As for the branching, this current section is basically a prologue. It sets the scene and gets your character to Zthullu. This will be the common start for all. Although, of course, certain things can be tinkered with.

Some later sections will surely have to be completely compartmentalized. For now, I will try to keep pace with the main divergent paths.

If you escape the train you will have a different set of events. You will approach the main narrative from a different angle and, I hope, have a lot of interesting things to do along the way.

The word count does include the lore. There are branching events- some options are unavailable depending on choices. However, all events lead to Zthullu. At least for now.

Thanks for the great feedback Lucifur! Glad to have you along for the ride!!!

Extra thanks- just updated it to the Dashingdon home page.

@mihai899

Thanks Mihai,

As Grandardgard is a very diverse city, mixed heritage rarely causes anyone to raise an eyebrow- although this is not the case everywhere. Since my last project was all about orcs, I felt I needed to set a bit of a human foundation this time- this fits in with the wider arc of the story better.

Future games may involve characters entirely non-human.

But I will focus on this game and unravel it with all of you on the forums. The later story does get complicated and so I’ll need all the help I can get!

9 Likes

:face_exhaling:
I appear to have misspelled again I meant to ask age I have no I idea how I wrote name I am going to chalk that up to being awake for to long .
Understandable .
:+1:
Alright you do seem to write different branches well I am still surprised how you had a what seems to be a very big divergence of the story

And that’s crazy it took me I think more than half a story to read all the country lore

And WHAT I would’ve thought no matter what you would end up there that’s shocking!!?!

And is it easy to miss or something because I think this makes the third time I’ve noticed it or is it a bug because I do remember the first time I mentioned it to somebody they said they had marked it updated
@NumberedEntity

2 Likes

@Lucifur-dark

I haven’t mentioned a specific age, just ‘youth’ or ‘adolescent.’

I may set a more precise age. What is important to know is that you, and your mates, are all old enough to do romantic things if and when the story presents anything like that as a choice.

6 Likes

@NumberedEntity
Ah alright I couldn’t really tell if they where early teens or late teens good to know

1 Like

LET’S GOOO, hoping for this to be another banger :pray:

Summary

Was this intentional?

1 Like

Probably won’t get a chance to look at it today, I’ll play, probably tomorrow, then dump feedback

1 Like

@coal8

How did a repeated word on the first choice get past my massive quality control department? :9 (Gone now!)
EDIT: I have a bad habit of skimming past the choice text- I really should have learned my lesson.
@Sujan_Dhakal

Thanks, Sujan, hope you enjoy the demo and all feedback is welcome.

4 Likes

Damn can’t play as orcs no more?

3 Likes

Not this time. Though orcs do make a large appearance later in the story.

EDIT: I needed to flex my wings a little and try something different. There is a potential future for DLC, for An Unexpectedly Green Journey, but this will depend on how well it does. I even have plans for a third game. But must be focused on this new project for a while and hope it all comes together the way I have envisioned.

10 Likes

But I thought I say one thing I’m actually liking the idea of this metallic feeling I’m feeling in the story yes there’s magic involved but you saying the half-breed thing makes it more interesting and knowing how the history of the culture of us as a human race we always think of ourselves as a superior race but so do the other races but picturing a half-breed makes both species discriminate against them viewing them as a lesser being and it pretty much brings that when you said pity pocket the group of other outcasts and individuals with them and then thrown to this situation it’s making you feel sympathetic for the underdog the outcast I want to see if my character can break the system against the royalty I want to support the revolt just depends on what type of Revolution it will be enough to support my people and my half-breed status I just can’t wait to see what you have cooked up in that Ork brain!

2 Likes

@Takashi_Shin

I love what you have said!

Yes, I wanted to give a particular point of view to the character. We are certainly the underdog, powerless against the authorities at the start.

As you said, revolution is brewing. Perhaps there are more than 2 sides to it! Though I don’t want to force your character to become a leading light in grand societal upheaval… they just might become one. And, just what would your character do if he acquired such power?

Thanks for a great comment!

7 Likes

Krog above, a new title with 66k words already ? Havent been this excited in a while

4 Likes

Not a 500k word drop out of nowhere, but, just as good, i do love me some tlor and warhammer references in fantasy, just as Mad Max n Immortal Engines, with, dare i say, ur sussesful previous work, this title will be a worthy sucessor

3 Likes

@q_riley

Welcome back to Arbit/Behatland!

This is a different experience than Green, although set in the same world. Early days, but I hope you enjoy it so far.

@Thanatos

Haha- I am not promising anything as to my pace, while making this. This is in no way as planned out as Green was, so will take more time to make substantial updates.

I hope An Unexpectedly Green Journey is sucessful. It is not out yet- but I think I, with the help of the forums, managed to put together a fine greenie experience there.

I hope this will be a worthy sucessor. I feel it is off to a good start but we have so far to go.

11 Likes

Hi, Hope this time @NumberedEntity will publish this. shik shik.

1 Like

Damn you work fast already followed because i love green journey and i know i’m gonna love this can’t wait to see what you have in store :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to seeing this game grow your previous one was really good and compared to a lot of other games it felt like it actually gave you options on how the story played out so I look forward to seeing more.

3 Likes

Wow I will follow this with great interest.

2 Likes

I guess it was supposed to say “soul”, unless halflings don’t have them, which would make easier to eat them, less of a moral problem.

2 Likes

@JoshiYinmith

The publication of Green Journey is in process, just need to wait for the Hosted Games queue to shorten. But yes, publication of this here new journey is a goal! I really want to finish what I started.

@tbs9090

Thanks for coming back to these worlds! Because it is very different, I do have anxiety that fellow orcs might not like the change. I hope the old greenies can appreciate a new narrative! Krog be praised!

@Lucas_Gendron

Hi Lucas,

Thanks. That was the goal with Green, to make a game with many paths.

Here, I want to do the same. The difference is that the paths will align somehow with the main narrative and not be so sandboxy.

@G_Kagara

Hi G,

Early days but we have quite an adventure ahead. Hop aboard!

@Nevantyr

Haha!

I think the runts do have souls. That’s the bit that gets stuck in your tusks.

Great catch. Will sort it out.

Cheers to all of you!

11 Likes