A Musician's Tale [Very Early WIP]

Hello everyone.

I’m very new to this forum, but I’ve been writing for a little project of mine for about a month and a half.

I’ve gotten to a point where I’m ready to start fiddling around with the engine, and hopefully, I won’t find it to be too much of a hassle.

This is really just a slice of the idea, but I’ve written 2 of the plot lines so far, but I’m not quite sure how many there will be in the finished product.

Here’s a quick pitch:

Become a Legendary Musician Or Die Trying!

Go from zero to hero, choosing from multiple different backgrounds, multiple different cities with different music scenes, and different eras of history.

Choose your own path

Do you choose to go solo or are you in a band? Are you an arrogant, eccentric rockstar or a down-to-earth, well-behaved critical darling?

Will you be satisfied with a modest existance, or will you crave those intoxicating stadium show nights, and all the groupies, drugs and money that follow?

Go through the ages

Where will your adventure start? Perhaps in Greenwich Village in the late 50’s/early 60’s or New Jersey/London in the late 60’s/early 70’s? Choose between 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and the new millennium. How long will your career as a musician last, and will you adapt or stay true to your roots?

That, and hopefully more!

That’s the idea… So far, so good! xD I’ve written two storylines so far (linear, without branching choices) each going at about 23k words so far.

With a storyline like this, I’d have to do at least 6-10 almost completely different paths, so I’m obviously quite a ways off at this point.

The reason I’m putting this out there NOW, is that I’d like your feedback on the idea! If you’ve played the Choice of the Rock Star, you might have been just as disappointed with it as me. I’m going to go all in with this, making all paths equally important and interesting.

I’m a musician myself, so this is a bit of a passion project in a way, since these are my dreams and hopes (at least some of them)

I’m planning several different musical genres from classic rock (Inspired by Rolling Stones, and I’ll also do a Beatles style set-up, though that is a different genrer. We also have Led Zep and Pink Floyd, though this is probably too wide to be a realistic goal for me), Folk (Inspired by both Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Woody Guthrie), 70’s rock (Both Bruce Springsteen and Queen come to mind. Both obviously jump into the 80’s as well, The Band), 80’s pop (Mainly Madonna and Michael Jackson) 90’s alternative (Nirvana, Green Day) early 2000’s acoustic pop/rock (John Mayer/ Dave Matthew’s Band) and finally we get to something like Foo Fighters (if I get to that. This is lowest priority thus far)

I’d love any and all feedback you can give me on the idea!!! I am going to take it all to heart while working on this.

Also, finally, what do you think about the name? I’m a bit unsure about that part, but obviously, that’s the least of my worries at this point :smiley:

/Marc

11 Likes

It will definitely feature both male and female choices. We got singers like Janis Joplin, Joan Jett and Patti Smith in the rock department, though I hope there won’t be too many differences, but we’ll see.

It’s definitely something I’m going to implement, and it’s so standard that i didn’t think to mention it! :smiley:

And would you mind letting me know what “RO” stands for? xD I’m a bit green when it comes to abbreviations xD

And there will be a Willie Nelson style storyline as well, so I hope that’ll satisfy!

Edit: Joan Baez of course…

The concept sounds interesting and I agree with you about how disappointing choice of rock star was. I personally would like to have a story line where you can become a conductor or music producer.

I was also thoroughly disappointing with the romance part of the story, it didn’t feel natural and I hated it. If you could integrate some sort of developing romance along with the story I would be very grateful! I also like the idea of becoming a classical pianist.

1 Like

I was messing around with story ideas about classical music, but it was one of the things that I put away since it’s too different from the rest of the stories. It would be like writing an entirely different game.

Same thing goes for becoming a conductor, though it is a very real possibility that I’ll make a choice as to whether or not you want to maybe produce an album for someone else.

Sounds like a good story.

I have written 2 possible romance options so far alongside some casual encounters (expected on the journey of a legendary musician ;D)

There will be gay options as well. One of them being a certain Freddy Fahrenheit from the massive 70’s-80’s band King… (yup… :D) Like this example, there will be a ton of nods to popular music culture, urban legends and real musicians.

No Jazz plans. Might do a Blues one, but that’ll be post release. Lol, this is like 5 months in the future xD Who knows :slight_smile:

Ok, so this seems to be very interesting and explores a gender that is not overused so I’m hoping to hear more about it!!

Will we be able to have a pet?

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea :smile:

I might consider that! ;D

Jerry Lee Lewis did marry his 13 year old cousin…

If you’re looking for inspiration, might want to give the Levon Helm autobiography a read. Its pretty enlightening about how wild the road and business was back in the early days of rock and roll.

Some artists life’s that are particularly interesting (to me at least):

Jimmie Rodgers- Railroad worker who pursued music after getting T.B. Extremely influential to American music in his short career.
Dr. John- From NOLA. Pimp, dealer, had finger shot off.

Some of the stranger, sadder stories: Syd Barrett, Roky Erickson, Phil Spector

Sounds very ambitious. I like the idea. I found choice of the rock star to short. I’d personally love the idea of playing as a rockstar and living that life. I hope you go all out with it. Have the media driving you nutts, drug problems, forming a band, stuff like that. I would like to play an entire career and really feel like im a rock star!

Well, the guys here already said good tips about how to use/improve your story elements. Just try to avoid stereotypes :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll love reading about a char dealing with his maturity and personality while living in a rollercoaster-music-star-life. The best reference I know is “Californication” series.

Thinking about your future public, it will be nice include some bands/musicians of this generation too, and no focus only on old classics.

Keep us posted and good work! :grinning:

This thread is years old and this WiP is sadly dead. I do share your desire to see a good and engaging rockstar/musician game, as the one official rockstar game CoG currently has is a bit lacking, imho. Unless the author returns it won’t be this one.
@Eiwynn @Ramidel @Havenstone time for a little housekeeping perhaps?