Hello! A Hero of the New World is a cyberpunk-ish/post-apocalyptic-ish story about becoming a hero (for various definitions of “hero”).
The story takes place in Niagara Arcology, one of the remnants of “baseline” humanity after a devastating war with “posthumans” about 70 years prior to the events of the game. A new normalcy has emerged in this world, one marked by massive inequality and concentration of power. You are a brought up in this world, and through no fault of your own, you gain something akin to “superpowers”.
There will be romance, although it will not be a focus of the story (all the potential ROs are canonically bisexual). There will be politics, including moments where you have to choose sides (or just run away).
Characters/potential romance options
- You! You are a recent resident of the undercity who gets caught up in civil unrest, and develop some sort of powers…
- Dr. Evelyn Huang, MD. PhD.: a scientist who takes care of you after you are incapacitated. She seems nice so far…
- Lorien Rajakumar: Another superpower user, the only one you know of, who works for the authorities and helps to train you. You’ll find out their backstory eventually…
- Rosa Saez: An organizer in the (literally) underground political opposition. A one-time engineering student who has taken her skills to the revolutionary movement.
(these are characters who have yet to be seen)
- Leon Zhou: Another radical organizer, and former soldier in the Niagara Guard. He and Rosa grew up together, and they can date eventually (also they’re both trans).
- Max Kazimierz: A revolutionary leader who has disagreements with Rosa and Leon.
- Councilor Carla Bernstein: The speaker of the city’s governing Assembly; a member of the reformist faction in the government.
- General Janus Reinhart: the commander of the Niagara Guard (basically the paramilitary police).
(there are others as well, but I don’t know how important they’ll be yet…)
Questions for readers:
- In general, how is the story so far?
- How is the worldbuilding/lore? Is there too much lore dumping, or not enough?
- How are the characters? Are they interesting so far? Do they have distinct enough voices? How is the narration style?
- Should there be romantic elements this far? Should there be options for expressing attraction to some of the characters this early on?
- How are the stats? The personality stats are kind of a placeholder; I’m not sure if/how they’ll be used. Are there any suggestions? The philosophy stats are going to be more important though.
Current status: ~10k words, covers over 1/2 of chapter 1 (with most likely 5 total chapters). So far, the story is pretty heavily railroaded, but it will open up later on. Updates will probably be rather slow, as I have a full time job and also multiple other interactive fiction projects (Pageant, plus like two other choicescript things).
Demo (2020-08-25): https://dashingdon.com/play/autumnc/a-hero-of-the-new-world/mygame/
Thank you so much for trying out my story!