You control someone who currently lives with an inept husband, who’s a painter spiraling because of his art block. One day at work, your boss suddenly assigns you a mentee and threatens your career if you don’t train her. You find that your mentee is a bright and quirky girl and, depending on your choices, attracted to you. You can choose to break up with your husband, have an affair with your mentee, do both, or do neither.
Though you wonder: is your husband taking advantage of you? Is there a secret behind your mentee’s cheerful facade?
All the while, your character’s Sanity continues to lower. Stress or neglecting to take antipsychotics will cause it to dwindle faster. The lower your character’s Sanity, the less that their actions make sense. But maybe that’s what you need instead.
Welcome to A Grey Life.
You live with your husband. You take an anti-psychotic every morning. You work a nine to five desk job. Your boss suddenly assigns you a mentee. Your hallucinations haunt you.
You don’t think your husband will ever get out of his art block. You’re not sure if your boss will fire you. You think your mentee is in love with you. You don’t know what’s real. You don’t act the way you think. Who are you?
What do you do?
Author ramblings of absolutely nothing important
I came into this project deciding on writing something short, like a microgame. It’s kinda grown a bit though, guess that’s what happens when you just write nonsensical choices and run with them lmao
This entire project also came about because I thought up of a joke ending (which I haven’t written yet), and so I somehow centered this entire thing as a set up for that. How it became such a serious and sombre game, I have no idea lol
This is (currently) intended as a microgame, so even when it’s finished, it probably won’t end up as anything super long. At least, I try to tell myself that. I tend to overextend when I really shouldn’t, so that’s going to be my personal challenge for this project.
This game is loosely inspired by Black Mirror’s Bandersnatch and Lucid’s Paradox Factor. Whilst not with the same play style or setting, I’m hoping to capture the same vibe and atmosphere, of the surrealness, abstract, etc.
- Play as male, female, or non-binary.
- Two romance options: your inept husband or weirdly cheery female mentee.
- Sanity meter, in lieu of any other personal stat.
- A lot of options, some that go completely wild depending on the Sanity meter (and my sanity, for choosing to put in so many and then having to write them all up).
- Replayability - a lot changes depending on your Sanity and a few other choices that you make, even so early on in the game.
Current version as of 30th June 2023:
Version notes / To do
- Currently only written up to the third chapter
- Potentially more choices in Chapter 1
- More flavour text based on Sanity to be added in Chapter 2
- More description to showcase mentee’s personality in Chapter 2
- More talking instead of just lapsing into silence in Chapter 3 lol
Content warnings: depictions of mental breakdowns, drugs/medication, drug overdose, hallucinations, dissociation
Link to game: https://dashingdon.com/go/14030
Please let me know what you think or if you find any bugs. Hope you enjoy this, thanks for reading!