A game in another language?

I’d like to write a game using ChoiceScript, but the problem is that I do not think I have enough good English to make a whole “book” without errors. So I would like to know if it is possible for my game to be published even if it is in another language? And is it possible to make a game with language options? (Example: Choose whether it will be in English or Portuguese before starting to play) And I would also like to know if there is any charitable soul that would help me translate my game (or just correct my English) Thanks for the attention !! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So the short answer is no, we currently don’t have any options with Hosted Games to publish games that are not in English, as we would have to outsource content review, some parts of production and other things, which would be prohibitively expensive.

We do have a ChoiceScript licensing option to publish games independently, but it is generally designed with other companies in mind, and not individuals.

That all said, we do have a number of Hosted Games published by authors who speak English as a second (or third or fourth) language, who I would hazard to guess have less control of the language than you do.

5 Likes

As of right now, I know it isn’t an option to publish a game on Hosted Games in a foreign language. Still, your English dos seem good enough to me that you could publish a game in English, and if you were still worried about any translation mistakes, you could always make a WIP thread with an open beta, so that people on the site can read your game and correct any mistakes for you. :blush:

5 Likes

You might be able to find someone who could translate your game for you on the forums, or at the very least fix any grammar errors you might miss

1 Like

To echo @Ozymandias and @Avery_Moore, I’m sure everyone here would be happy to help you out in terms of grammar, typos and such. Writing in a non-native language is hard, so don’t be too hard on yourself about your English skills.

2 Likes

Is it at all plausible that eventually CoG and HG can expand to other languages? I feel like it could help open up the market for CoG and HG games in general and attract bigger audiences.

1 Like

The last time it was done it didn’t work well from a commercial standpoint I believe.

Important distinction: that was translating from English to Spanish.

I think that a game entirely written in Spanish from the get go would actually be more achievable.

1 Like

Adding onto that I’m not sure if Choice of Dragon appealed to the target audience of spanish speaking countries. My parents watch telenovelas like crazy so I thought something like Choice of Romance would have been the ideal to release in Spanish, because it’s something that appeals to the target audience. Choice of Dragon is a pretty good game, one of the first to be exact, but the theme of fantasy dragons might appeal better to english speaking western countries.

1 Like

Actually South Americans have the same interests. By the way, Choice of Dragon was one of the first games I wanted to play from Choice of Games. I think what went wrong was the fact that they announced very little the translation into Spanish and they expected much more downloads coming from South America because of the Spanish language and they were disappointed (Which is strange, since the most spoken language in South America is the Brazilian Portuguese, with 207 million fluent people). Telenovels are made for an audience of 30-60 year olds, which should be the case of your parents, but this does not apply at all.

4 Likes

There a plenty of youtube videos on Dungeons and dragons (and other roleplaying games) in spanish. Also fantasy novels in spanish. Like the ones from Laura Gallego. I don’t know if it’s enough public to make it worthwile but there a spanish speaking people who like fantasy and scifi. I’m one of them. XD

I’d like that. I’m not confident enough on my english to write a full game in english, but might give it a try in spanish.

Anyway, all the people who write this games is doing a great work. And as a player I don’t mind that the games are only available in english, so I see the point of view from business perspective.

3 Likes

Bem, acho que nada te impede de escrever um jogo totalmente em português e deixar a demonstração aqui pelo fórum, mas não espere um retorno financeiro, a cog não está publicando jogos em outras línguas no momento. Aliás, tem um grupo brasileiro considerável aqui, pelo o que eu vi :kissing_heart::kissing_heart: @analeca

4 Likes

Basicamente o que o Karp disse - há um grupo considerável de brasileiros aqui, então um joguinho apenas em Português teria algum tipo de feedback, mas nada comparado a um jogo em Inglês.

O meu conselho é escrever em Inglês mesmo que seu Inglês não seja o melhor! Há muitos usuários aqui dispostos a te ajudar se estiverem interessados em sua história, sem contar o número de brasileiros que entendem a dificuldade de traduzir do Português para o Inglês (eu inclusa!). Dei uma olhada rápida no seu histórico de mensagens, e seu Inglês está perfeitamente compreensível nas mensagens que você já digitou. O mais importante não é a gramática perfeita, e sim a compreensão - o resto você vai aprendendo. Espero ter te ajudado!

5 Likes

Não tenho muito a acrescentar que outros já não tenham dito, só que também aconselho escrever em inglês direto, mesmo se não for muito bom. Você só vai ficar melhor com a pratica. Boa sorte!

4 Likes

There are some great Interactive Fiction games out there in Russian, but they do NOT use ChoiceScript.

That being said, as long as you aren’t trying to monetize it, you can write a CS game in any language you like and host it on Dashingdon.

Im translating books into other languages but im not getting paid. Take that as you will