A Dogs Life Contest (for creating content)

So I’m gonna go ahead and do a fun little contest for A Dog’s Life! My wife gave me the idea for adding in fictional dog breeds after asking about some of the breeds I already have (every breed available currently is real).
Link to A Dogs Life topic: A Dog's Life Pt 1

Your CoG forums username will be posted inside the game and all credit will be given to the user who created the breed.

I’m looking for 2 Large breeds, 2 Medium breeds, 2 Small breeds, and 2 Tiny/Toy breeds. Below are the rules & what qualifies:
-No Designer Breeds! All fictional breeds must be bred for a purpose (such as, they are purposely bred to be a companion, they are bred to help hunt boars, bred to help herd cattle or sheep, ect) and not just because they look cute!
-Must not be older than 1950! Any breeds that appear before 1950 will be disqualified
-Must be descended from a pre-existing breed (such as bred from a German Shepherd & a Wolfhound, A Husky & Labrador, ect)
-at least 3 pelt colors & 1-2 eye colors
-Must have 1-3 natural skills (such as hunting, herding, therapy work, rescue, scent or sight-dog/hound, or any skill taken from their origin breeds. Exceptions may include unnatural friendliness, extremely helpful, overly intelligent, ect. Things must be unique to your breed but must have roots in origins)
-Original names!
-Pen name to go alongside username

Current Fictional Breeds:
Giants- Irish Dane’s (hexfur), Russian Wolf Mastiff (@Kane_Smith_B_In_K_Pa)
Large-
Medium- Wolfsnout Retriever (@freeki_Milliu)
Small-
Tiny/Toy-

6 Likes

Inspiration:

2 Likes

How do you want us to submit the created breeds?

Juat reply here w all the info ^^

•Name - Canis vampus ( Death Hounds )
•Breed from - Great Dane, Mastiff, and Wolf
•First bred - sometime during the 1970’s
•Coat color - Mostly solid black, brown, or Gray. Typically partnered buy a deep red underbelly
•Eye color - eyes tend to be a yellow sclera with either red, black, or purple, Iris
•Natural skills - extreme strength and speed, along with extremely caring
•Size - Range from large to giant
•History - In the middle of the Cold War the Russians tried to do anything to get ahead of thair enemies. Some of thair scientist where biologists and wanted to make a new breed of dog that put the K-9 to shame. They started with a wolf and a mastiff, great dane mut. Once the mothers where pregnant they started with thair experiments. In the late 1970’s the first litter was born, but they didn’t have 100% success. Out of the 15 possible litters only 3 where a success. The scientist had successfully completed the mission or so they thought. The dogs were able to run up to 45 miles an hour and had a bite force similar to a crocodile. However the scientist did not expect they would be extremely compassionate and refuse to fight. They had failed and so they were going to exterminat the dogs, but they didn’t know they had a spy in thair lab. The spy had requested for a extraction team to retrieve the dogs. When the Russians finally found out it was already too late.
The Americans set the dogs loose in a natural park. By 1995 the dogs had become pets all though most still feared them because of the common name given to the hounds from the first press release, Death Hounds set free in Yellowstone, about the dogs.

Did I do that right?

I may need to change a few things:

Breed name is a bit…unsettling I have to admit. If i was at a shelter looking for a dog, I would probably avoid a dog called a Death Hound
Eye color needs to be natural, I’m not sure what you described is. I can put it as “Yellow” in the game, but the rest of the eye I cannot do
I love the history, it does make sense (as I feel someone would actually try to do something like that), but the jaw strength would not be described that way in the game (Some breeds do have stronger jaw strength than crocs but I would change this in the game to be reflected in their Strength & possibly another stat)

Overall, I really like this breed. I love the unusual compassion, the speed sounds more like a short sprinter (like Greyhounds) but that’s fine. The mixes are intense but in a good way. These dogs sound like a mix of wild & domestic, which is a good mix.

With your permission, I would like to edit just a few things:
Name: Russian Wolf Mastiff (nickname Death Hound)
Subbreed: Working (every dog needs a subbreed, & fictional breeds get one chosen based on their origins)
Origins: Mastiff, Great Dane, Wolves
First Bred: 1970’s
Coat Colors: Black, Brown, Grey, Black & Red, Brown & Red
Eye: Yellow
Natural Skills: Great strength and speed, extreme compassion
Size: Giant (due to their mixes I am thinking of a dog about 100-150 lbs)
History: In the middle of the Cold War the Russians tried to do anything to get ahead of thair enemies. Some of thair scientist where biologists and wanted to make a new breed of dog that put the K-9 to shame. They started with a wolf and a Mastiff-Great Dane mix. Once the mothers where pregnant they started with thair experiments. In the late 1970’s the first litter was born, but they didn’t have 100% success. Out of the 15 possible litters only 3 where a success. The scientist had successfully completed the mission or so they thought. The dogs were able to run up to 45 miles an hour and had a bite force of 450 PSI. However the scientist did not expect they would be extremely compassionate and refuse to fight. They had failed and so they were going to exterminate the dogs, but they didn’t know they had a spy in their lab. The spy had requested for a extraction team to retrieve the dogs. When the Russians finally found out it was already too late. The Americans took in the dogs in secret locations, and eventually the dogs began appearing as pets, growing in numbers. They were given the name Russian Wolf Mastiffs because of their origins and looks

You will get full credit, your name mentioned in game, and I will post a link in the breeds bio back to this page. If there is anything you specifically want me to change (as in if there is a change you don’t like), please let me know. I think this would be an excellent dog for the game though ^^

1 Like

Everything sounds good to me. You can change anything you need. Another color for the eyes is white typically shows in wolves and huskys. Last thing, the name is a bit unsettling but it was given the name because it was made to be a death machine. I think it adds a bit of character for the dog much like people being afraid of wolves even if they are friendly. But don’t get me rong I like that you made it a nickname.

This is exactly how Russian Wolf Mastiffs are in the game. I can’t send you a direct message so I am posting it here @Kane_Smith_B_In_K_Pa

Created in the 1970’s during the Cold War, RWM’s were bred to be a deadly companion for soldiers in Russia. A cross between a wolf and a Mastiff-Great Dane mix, these dogs have inherited the size of Great Dane’s and Mastiff’s but the lean shape and stride of wolves.
They can reach a weight of 120-180 lbs, stand at 2’4" to 2’8", and live about 10-12 years on average. This is all guesses since the breed is fairly rare and still somewhat new, as current generations are bred to Mastiff’s or Great Dane’s to keep it alive.
In the late 1970’s the first of this breed came forth, and scientist began training these dogs in combat. Instead of taking on a vicious and cruel nature like expected, these dogs turned out to be extremely loyal and protective canines. They are silent protectors, only barking when needed.
They were trained to be fast, reaching speeds of up to 40-45 mph when sprinting. They were trained in attacking and chasing, and because of their origins they have among the most powerful bite in the dog world. They were nicknamed the “Death Hound” because if these dogs do not hold back, their opponent would be killed immediately or die very soon.
When it was discovered that they held an unusual amount of compassion, it was realized that they were not eager to learn combat because they were mean, but because they knew it would help them protect soldiers and other people. They refused to fight in cold blood, showing more courage than cowardice to rebel against their trainers when asked to kill animals or people who were not a threat.
After this, the scientist decided to euthanize each dog, but the dogs were smuggled out by a spy and taken to America. Almost every dog was smuggled out before the scientist noticed. They were taken to secret locations in order to hide them, but eventually made their ways into homes as pets and even into work such as Guard Dogs, Attack Dogs for the police, and similar works.
Due to their loyal and friendly nature, they make excellent service dogs but need to be supervised because of their great size and strength. They are not good dogs for homes with children, as they can hurt them accidentally.
With yellow or pale blue eyes, they have six different coat patterns. Black, dark brown, chocolate, dark grey, black & red, and brown & red. Their fur is usually short and thick. They inherited the long snout of a wolf, while their legs are long and thick. Their ears are short and floppy, but can stand erect if they hear something strange. Their tails are long and fluffy like that of a wolf.

That’s amazing

1 Like

Alright! I thought this is interesting so I’ll try giving it a shot! :smiley:

Name: Philippines Wolfsnout Retriever
Breed From: Labrador Retriever and some unknown, possibly extinct, wild dog
First Bred: Roughly in the late 50’s
Coat Color: Very Light Grey with darker gray patches (near white) and Bluish Black with gray patches
Eye Color: Brown (Most Common), Hazel (uncommon)
Natural Skills: Hunting (scenthounds), Scent (for police work mostly), Speed (quicker than most dogs but not extraordinary). Rather hyperactive and is prone to being aggressive so it is hard to train though not impossible.
Size: Below average Medium (like if there is a more specific scale, it is smaller than most medium dogs but not small enough to be deemed Small)

History:

Nobody knows for sure the exact origins of this breed, all that was known is that is was bred roughly during the late 50’s - early 60’s as it was discovered during the 70’s. At first it was believed that it is simply another form of “Askal” as the Filipino locals call mongrels. It was later discovered to not be the case for it has traces of the same inherited genes of Labrador Retrievers (a common pure breed owned by Filipino households) and an unknown wild canine possibly coming from the province’s wilderness, particularly in Mindanao where it was first discovered. So in a way, the villagers had been unknowingly breeding their pets for the purpose of dealing with pests like field mice and predators which may feast on livestock, while miraculously keeping its DNA pure just because of how large its population is and how fast it breeds. This is a breakthrough discovery for many reasons since it revealed that there had long ago been wild wolf like canines which lived in the Philippines which may or may not have gone extinct due to breeding with local dogs, or for other reasons, as of now no pure specimen of that creature is discovered as it is thought to have disappeared (or became critically endangered) in the 50’s. This is also the first pure bred dog to be bred in the country.

As previously mentioned, it was bred to deal with pests. Owners would typically let the dogs roam freely in the countryside where its aggressive and hyperactive nature causes it to hunt down many would be pests in the farms and thus controlling its population. By evening, it typically returns to its home where it rests for long periods of time, having exerted itself tremendously during the day. While tired, this dog is typically more friendly and less aggressive. Other than that, it is a breed that is a challenge to keep indoors. It likes to explore and open places, so it is recommended that when buying one, you should have a large place where the dog could run around in freely.

More on Appearance
Medium small in size, its ears are large and perked up, possibly inheritted from its wolf like anscestor. It is well muscled like a Retriever though its coat is short and shaggy to accomodate to its homecountry’s tropical climate. It has a long snout though its tip is blunt.

Is this good? I am open to you changing some stuff about it of course, I just hope I followed your rules correctly since I am no dog expert :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is excellent. Let me work on it (as in add it to the game) & I will post the finished work when I’m done (will probably be tomorrow as tonight I am working on Day 1 of the shelter)

2 Likes

Thanks! Took me a while to research local breeds here since my country has tons of Aspins roaming around, so it is a large source of inspo. Glad you like it :wink:

There are a few typos though, Imma edit it a bit so it doesn’t end up in the games :smiley:

1 Like

I decided to give this a go and create a fictional breed primarily from my home country (with a very mild sprinkle of history), though I’m not sure whether this would suit what you’re looking for or not. Do let me know if this is incongruous or if anything needs to be changed!

Here goes nothing:

Name: The Nayak Sighthound (commonly known as Nayaks).
Parent breeds: Rajapalayam, Kanni (also called as the Maiden’s Beastmaster).
First Bred: Early 1970s
Coat Colour: Black or fawn with several white spots, though sometimes they can simply be light grey or a warm brown (uncommon).
Eyes: Golden, light brown
Natural Skills: Sight, Speed, Agility
Traits: Loyal, Territorial, Shy around owners.
Size: Medium (adults may grow upto 25-30 inches in length and 21-26 inches in height).
History : The Nayak Sighthounds were bred in the state of Tamil Nadu in India during the Indo-Pakistan war of 1971 from their parent breeds Kanni and Rajapalayam in order to create the ultimate guard dog. Both of their parent breeds were sighthounds, were used primarily to hunt boars and deers by kings and nobles during the age of monarchy, and could be trained easily. Their name is derived partially from the fact that the origins of one of their parent breeds, the Rajapalayam can be traced back to the Nayak Dynasty in the late medieval ages, and partially from their exceptional service to the aforementioned war (Nayaks, is a Hindi term that translates to ‘heroes’). With a combination of the Rajapalayam’s loyalty and ability to withstand the cold conditions of the northwestern Indo-Pakistan frontiers and the Kanni’s historically revered speed and eyesight, they were trained and posted as guards to patrol the borders and served the war efforts by resisting the nightly attempts of breaching the national frontiers by the overwhelming enemy forces during multiple nights. Fortunately, when the war ended after only 13 days, many of the Nayaks survived, and were sent back to their home state where they were bred extensively to protect the borders and assist the National Security Force and continue to do so to this day.

1 Like