[WiP] The Golden Eagle

I am finally happy with both sides of the coin, although work will continue on the next chapter, which will remain split for at least some time. Not for another +30k words, however… I think and hope.

In any case, the two Chapters III are done and updated onto Dashingdon, so enjoy. I will be cracking down hard on the two Chapter IV now, wrap things up on both sides, then launch into Chapter V which will finally bring the two big branches back together in both time and place.

16 Likes

I look forward to your chapter releases more than look I forwarded to pleasure of flesh and arousing conversation! Though are two thing enjoy immensely!

Well, I hope both chapters spark some interesting conversation. They deal with so very different subjects, it would be amazing if they don’t.

3 Likes

My mc wanted to remain a military observer, both because he likes being a military officer far more then he thought he would, the tactics the strategy, the (new) weapons and all the interesting people he gets to meet and because of the awesome uniform(s). I imagine one of his letters home might actually have gone a bit like this: “Yeah, mom and dad best worst punishment ever”. I mean who would want a life of danger, excitement, cute guys and gorgeous uniforms (clothes) when he could instead have learned to be a miserly bean-counter in one of the family businesses! :stuck_out_tongue: :innocent:

Of course in the history of the game-world my mc has had the benefit of becoming an officer just before war and the army started to really suck and gradually lose the nice uniforms. Which is why I hope that unlike most modern armies we can save the old, fancy dress uniforms at the very least.

Incidentally having watched war and peace this is how I imagine the cute cadet (Simon) might look now that he got into the cavalry as a proper officer:

Incidentally will it be possible to convince cute young Simon to see the benefits of a full republic, or is this just one of my inevitably doomed by social class romances?

1 Like

Hey @Herrington - sorry for the delay here. Anyhow- there’s a couple of key differences, some of which @Goshman touched on.

Largely, the difference is role of employment and then of doctrine. An Automatic rifle, such as the BAR is a supplemental weapon employed by an automatic rifleman. They can be used in much the same way as a machine gun can, except that they do not have the same sustainable rates of fire. The tradeoff is portability- they tend to be easier to carry, than say an M1919. Further, they’ve more or less blended roles with the advent of LMGs- you get the same portability of a BAR with the relative firepower of an M1919 if you’re using an M249 or an RPD/RPK, for an easy example set.

Depending on unit composition, you may not have a GPMG in your squad, or you may have two or three (we had two gun trucks with 240s and one with an M2 or MK19, depending in my unit before I got out.) It all depends on composition. As a rule, the auto rifleman concept has kind of fallen by the wayside, though the Marines have brought the M27 about. As a supplement to the 249, it’s actually not a terrible idea. You’d have to check with @cascat07 to get a better idea of how they employ it.

2 Likes

So I just finished the Observer chapter you’re literally going down the route of the Heart of Darkness with a little bit but apocalypse now in there…joy. also I also Charmed of a traveling Merchant… but that new world Southern Belle has a sharp mind underneath very cute exterior. I wonder what benefit would gain for us introducing the weapons system into the military?

In the observer chapter while playing the game with the Szabári officer, when you’re truthful about your participation in the mines there’s an invalid expression error.

The reason why uniforms like that went away from everyday use are very simply the fact that eventually the costs outweighed the benefits. Battlefields became more clear with smokeless gunpowder, which means that uniforms don’t have to be quite as bright, while it also became obvious that colourful uniforms are excellent targets for rifles that have far longer effective ranges than old muskets. With more and more nations also becoming more liberal, the kind of extravagance became frowned upon.
I know, it’s terrible and I for one would have much rather put on an uncomfortable but very stylish parade dress when off the field than use the same M05 camo pattern for everything, but so goes it with constantly more stringent budgets.

Also, that’s actually a fairly good reference for de Martal for both looks and personality. I think I was watching that very movie when I first started shaping his character, actually.

I don’t think he will ever agree with a republic, but I think he’s the sort of person to tolerate it for love. Although, he’ll also be someone to point it out whenever the republic fails or ends up in gridlock as well. So he won’t go down quietly, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I won’t even try to disguise the Heart of Darkness (Apocalypse Now is basically that story with a Vietnam War mask on) storyline entering into the Observer path to a certain extent.
I want to explore it a little bit and put in my own twist, but it will also differ a great deal from it. It’s a bit of a mesh between Heart of Darkness, stories about White Rajahs, and the American Indian Wars.

As for the weapons system, well… aside from having a single weapon with a fire rate of several hundred rounds per minute?
There will be some other benefit, I’m not sure what yet.

Thank you, I think I’ve found the problem and have a fix for it. I’ll give it until tomorrow morning before I push out the fixed file to give time for any other issues to trickle in and give people an opportunity to finish read-throughs without being interrupted by the update.

4 Likes

I didn’t read the new part of my rp Mara as observer. I am intrigued if There will be available any Mara style options first part Seems to try selling a pity against slaves and some sort of anti colonialism and anti ancient regime.When Mara could certainly trade with slaves whom are inferior tools and is pro ancient regime. Also She is there to gain contacts and money not to be a virtuous official.

The honest answer is that even if I try to put in entirely morally bankrupt choices, it’s still not far enough for Mara…

6 Likes

Yeah but Brooks got that lawfully he just happened to come with the Cannon. I am really interested how your Versions of Classic will come into play consider my MC is hardly 21. Bugs I noticed playing the commoner background his name did not come up in the status screen.

1 Like

@Goshman

Once more the Szabári officer rides up alongside you and smacks his
lips audibly. As before, he does not seem impressed in the slightest.
Indeed, you take note that the slaves are in stricted kept formation than the soldiers.

Bolded wording seems a bit weird.

Comments:

Hmm, is the Kommandant introducing mission-type tactics to our MC?

The Szabari marine’s statement about the Gatling gun is entirely correct, but not in the way he thinks.

Also Lazare d’Armistead appears to have achieved 100% pragmatism and could have achieved 100% mind if he didn’t wish to be a bit more rounded in skills.

1 Like

I’ve fixed the wording. It’ll come in a neat package with an array of other fixes tomorrow. Now, to the comments that I can answer.

Yes and no. The Kommandant is conducting his operations as the Baedrans do, which might very well strike a familiar tune with our MC, who has experience of being an officer to skirmishers. Essentially, the MC will leave the New World with a deeper experience base of asymmetric warfare than anyone else in the Old World possesses.
That might prove beneficial later down the line. I hear there might be a revolution/rebellion happening soon.

Yes, that should be achievable at this point. This is where the education stops, so there won’t be any further boosts to the stats. So if you have 100 in something and 50 in another, you’d better be happy with keeping that for the rest of the story.

3 Likes

Exactly, while the combat uniform cannot be saved, we must save the dress uniform!!!
In a very few select units the dress uniform has actually been saved (thus far anyway), the US marines are probably the most famous, of course back then that uniform was very understated.
Some other regiments still have them as well, but except for the royal household guard they have become a sort of super dress uniform, meaning there is the current regular dress uniform (which sadly resembles a business suit more than anything else) and then there is the old dress uniform worn for very select occasions, again mostly involving royal and foreign heads of states visit, but technically also in the case parliament declared victory in a major conflict, or something like that.

Then he really is the cute cadet, Jack Lowden is one of the cutest young British (well Scottish) actors of this moment. :yum: If the looks are right then the Empire’s Hussar uniforms are very nice indeed.

Hmm…might the male mc’s infantry officer’s (dress) uniform as an observer look something like this (the one on the right, obviously) then?
http://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/sm/1ba47481637f7b862f148b8e5f281043/war-and-peace.jpg

That’s all my mc can really ask anyway.

And that’s why my mc loves his “cute cadet”. :heart_eyes:
Sadly the observer path means my mc can’t see him for quite a while. Hey @Goshman I forgot if it was already in there or not (as it will take me until this weekend until I can play through it again, grrr :disappointed:), but can we exchange letters with the boy, and if we already can, can we do it some more, pretty please. :smile_cat:
On the other hand in the university path Simon really didn’t seem to like the current rebel student “leaders”.

The convincing might work both ways if anyone can sell my mc on the Empire (but likely not its current emperor) it would be Simon, but there would need to be a strong Constitution and the reactionary nobles little “exalted council” would need to go with no possibility of it ever returning. A “House of Lords” with (strongly) limited powers (but just enough to act as a check and balance on the lower house, ideally) is about as far as my mc would be willing to go.

Will there be any benefits at all for gay guys who aren’t willing to be jerk to a girl? Otherwise the decision seems rather easy. :unamused:

No one can be Mara like Mara. :fearful: :cold_sweat:
Maybe @Lycoris can somewhat approximate such options as Mara usually wants, due to their shared Spanish heritage? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Without spoiling the storyline what highest rank and title or office are character can gain? Or all three of them is too much of ruiner.

PS a nice feature would be what does your characters uniform / clothing look like in the current moment the game big full dress regalia to a very lovely business suit tuxedo.

1 Like

@Goshman I think something is wrong with the check when you dance with Maxime in the New World. All my stats we are 65 and I was stepping on her toes.

It’s a special achievement just for you @cascat07 “Dances like a Marine”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

“Dances like an Officer” lol.

4 Likes

I will playing this so … everyone should wait for Mara feedback in her mission of becoming rich and start a slave trade and weapons selling business… I love being evil :imp:

4 Likes

My MC will be far more noble and elegant and such … she will think she should be Empress the entire game.