(WIP) The Ascendant | 3 Chapters done 80k+ words

It’s a good shout, I had this idea in my head of the archetypes for the personalities but yeah it’s probably worth adding that in, I will endeavour for it to be sorted by the next update. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I just released what will likely be my last of these small updates, I fixed the issues reported above as well as added an Outspoken/Reserved stat pair with some extra flavour to go with it. If there’s any issues found I’ll still make sure to do bug fixer updates, but for now my main focus is on the next scene, where I’m trying to incorporate a bullying event with my original plan. Thanks to everybody who gave feedback! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Heyo anyone paying attention, I’m wary of posting too much however I have a question. (If nobody responds I’m gonna cry myself to sleep and just go with whatever). Don’t worry, I’m still focused on writing the next scene but I had this thought and wanted to see if anybody else had an opinion.

Where should the lore section be

• Just pre-game
  • Just in the stats page
  • Both
0 voters
3 Likes

I didn’t expect it to be unanimous lol

1 Like

Me neither lmao, but message received. It will be changed in the next update.

1 Like

If the option could be read as something else than intended. I say hiding stat selection or not hiding stat selection in each choice works.

There are plenty of times, more times than I can count. Where my thought of an action does not match authors thought of an action. Especially when across nationalities that may think differently about wording.

Example:
I tend to always turn on this is a intelligence check and that is a wisdom check or some other mixup. Cause we don’t think alike on what is and isn’t appropriate check.

I don’t do narrative storyteller only most times due to conflict of thought patterns. If we align in this option is this and that’s that. Sure! More often of the time it tends not to be what I thought the option was.

Storyteller mode, Gamemaster mode.

1 Like

I can certainly attempt to add a mode that will tell you what’s being tested, I’ve tried to do my best to make it clear but it may not have worked so well. I will endeavour to have that ready for the next update, as soon as I’ve worked out how to do that without copy pasting the entire code and bloating it lol

1 Like

I was just pointing out that clarity doesn’t succeed for everyone is all. I even get crosswired with other Americans within spoken conversations. It happens. Hence why I tend to prefer this stat boosts this and that boosts that one.

1 Like

Being British probably doesn’t help either, but I will do my best to compensate for that nonetheless. I’m working on adding it in now.

1 Like

Sorry to be asking so much but I need to know what everyone thinks about

Where should the option for Gamemaster mode be

• Before the game
  • In the stats page
  • Both
0 voters

What should Gamemaster mode cover

• Just stat checks
  • Just personality changes
  • Everything checking variables
0 voters
1 Like

That last one, is odd. I have to think.

In ITFO and Whiskey-Four it uses personality choices. Which are not calculated.

Sorry to message again, I just had the thought that I didn’t make it clear, for everybody voting for all variables for gamemaster mode, do you also think relationships and personality changes should be included? I only ask because it’ll be a big chunk of extra words to write in so wanna make sure it’s right first time, or I’ll get real sick of going over my own writing real quick lol

1 Like

I would do so. Some people flirt differently.

Some games add hearts to signify this IS a romance line or this will be a breakup line.

Example of one instance.

I wanted to go to the fair with both girls. One got defensive and ran away. The other, can’t recall but ended up confused. I thought we could hang out as friends, have fun. I didn’t understand and was feeling awkward. Turned out supposed to be a friendly encounter. It felt anything but. I left very awkward impression on the scene.

Misunderstandings can happen if no marker or clear intentions. Yeah, that I won’t forget anytime soon and its been weeks already since then.

2 Likes

Is the fight with Ash meant to be unwinnable? No matter what I do I can’t beat them.

1 Like

It is possible if you focus down your combat ability and strength/agility as an attribute but it is meant to be very difficult. You haven’t (yet) come into the power of your blood and she is the only child of the most powerful knight in the duchy, potentially the kingdom working to the fullest extent of her abilities (whilst hiding it from you, if you’re friends.) It will be easier to focus down a couple abilities once I get the gamemaster mode in, if you were having trouble before. If you want to win and see where winning gets you I recommend doing a run where you play an aggressive half-orc who focuses close combat arts, followed by strength.

1 Like

I’m getting the message over here too. Given the almost 50/50 I’ll make sure to put the option in both places. In terms of what it will cover, I will spend the next x amount of hours going over my now 37k words to add in the gamemaster mode for everything

1 Like

I think I’ll just wait for the gamemaster mode, cause Im just not a fan of having to play a specific race for the game.

3 Likes

All good, there’ll be a lot more chances for character improvement in the future which will be more to your liking I’m sure. It’s kind of essential for the races to have their bonuses and physical abilities being those bonuses so I can’t really make a change there that helps you, sorry, as I would normally try to.

2 Likes

I don’t know this fight yet. My thoughts are, there should be variances on how to approach and succeed for players strengths/weaknesses.

In essence, intimidation can happen with an agile person same as a strong person. Just applied differently. One would flex muscles while the other does a particular flourish as examples.

1 Like

There is actually a lot of this, but a lot of it happens when your MC acts “instinctively” so basically in the flavour text. There’s a lot of instances where depending on what attribute you are best in, the text or outcome can change. If you see any instances where you think it would be good to add more of that in, feel free to let me know! I’m always willing to listen to suggestions or ways to improve.

1 Like