WiP Idea: "Snake in the Grass" (MC is a snake)

Thanks for your interest, my rat piece wasn’t overly exciting, it was just a short gaps and silence piece. We were doing it for The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night Time. The protagonist of that story happens to have a pet rat so that’s who I was writing from. It was an interesting challenge, I wasn’t writing intelligent animals so I traded having to write about higher thoughts for simple animal functions. I did a bit of research, to see how rats sensed the world and the like. Biggest challenge was figuring out how’d a rat would describe things. Like a train for example, or a steel bench seat. That was the fun of it I suppose.

2 Likes

Interesting, I think putting us as a snake is the only downfall, just because they are carnivorous…I don’t like that…but other than that, extremely entertaining and interesting. But I think putting in different animal roles would add replay value, the king of the jungle Lion trying to win over prey like fawn without appearing weak too there kin, a simple rabbit trying to get there voice heard with so many bigger animals, I personally find them more entertaining than the average Joe role or average snake in this case lol. What do u think?

@Sleepyowl, I can’t imagine how hard it would be to write from a “regular” animal’s perspective, although I think Dean Koontz writes from a dog’s perspective in several of his stories. I’ll take the easier path, thank you very much!

@Tevin, this one would definitely be more “story” than “game,” and I’d want to craft a compelling story that included the challenges unique to a snake. Problems like other animals not trusting the snake, or looking down on all reptiles, or viewing the MC as food (that troublesome hawk again!). There may be a rabbit character, although frankly I’m game for using lesser used woodland animals.

And we are carnivorous right?

Pffffft of course not. we are the first ever vegan snake. We will survive solely off random shrubs we find.

2 Likes

I maybe don’t like play as an animal but playing as a vegetarian snake just remember me twilight lol with the vegetarian vampires. It makes exactly same sense

1 Like

You mean to tell me you don’t think there are charismatic snake bards for you to play as?

1 Like

No i just don’t like intellectual animals also
They can’t talk
They can’t walk
They don’t have hands so no grabbing stuff
No normal vision.
And the terrible life female snakes had being forcing to death by hundreds of males over me…

They can talk.

They might be able to walk (depends precisely how anthropomorphic Eric goes)

Also may be able to do that.

Uhm I think only garder snakes and rattlesnakes do that.

For me there is two types of doing a story with animals
The fables with fully anthropomorphic animals. I am ok with that and Lewis Carroll aced that with both Alicia books.
Then the animals still animals but still doing human only stuff. Orwell and Kafka style. I just can’t enter in that stories i roll eyes about how pigs grab stuff and climb stairs sure … Don’t get me wrong both books metamorphosis and the farm are AMAZING inside top 100 of XX writing However i just can’t believe for a instance a Horse horse could read or looking himself to a mirror

A black rat snake’s diet! (quoted from the Smithsonian National Zoo)

Rat snakes are primarily known as rodent eaters, however other food preferences do exist. As juveniles, rat snakes eat small lizards, baby mice, and an occasional small frog. Adult rat snakes have a diet mainly consisting of mice and rats, but also include chipmunks, moles, and other small rodents. Adults also eat bird eggs and young. Rat snakes kill their prey by constriction.

As a rat snake, you have to nom nom nom other animals or die. I shall delve into the gruesome underbelly of how animals might come together and determine who gets eaten by who and how that happens. Zootopia just glossed over that! I was like, “What does the Lion Mayor guy eat??”

And I am strongly leaning towards a more Animal Farm approach just because to me it’s more "realistic’ (an odd adjective to use with talking animals, I know). If they were already walking upright and wearing clothes and such, well I would assume the nasty business of creating a “civilization” has already been completed long ago. This is the beginning of the process.

3 Likes

Sounds like an interesting idea. Sort of like ‘Kumo desu ga nani ka?’ (‘I’m a spider, so what?’), but as a snake instead as a spider. Would love to try such a game out! :smiley:

1 Like

Ohhhh man you just pointed the awesomeness, And if that were on the choice of games catalog no doubt it will become the best book around!!!

Oh great now I’m super excited for this game ;-;

Unless you’re the author, please do not post on WiP threads that’ve been dormant for more than 14 days.

2 Likes