POLL - What types of Protagonists/Main Characters are you open to playing in a Hosted Game?

Desiring to quantify some of the comments and results from the “Gender” thread, I’ve created a few questions about different types of protagonists, gender-lock issues, etc., and which ones are “gamebreakers” for some, and which ones aren’t.

1. Would you consider playing/buying a Hosted Game with a protagonist who was gender-locked to a gender not your own?

• Yes, that alone isn’t a game-breaker for me.
  • I might consider buying it, but I’d be more leery.
  • No, I would never buy that sort of game.

0 voters

2. Would you consider playing/buying a Hosted Game with a protagonist gender-locked to your gender?

• Yes, that isn’t a game-breaker for me. As long as I can play as my gender, I’m good.
  • I might consider buying it, but I’d feel guilty that others can’t play as their own gender.
  • No, I would never buy the game because it excludes others from playing as their own gender.

0 voters

3. Would you consider buying/playing a Hosted Game with a non-human animal protagonist (cow, owl, cat, etc), and does being able to pick the protagonist’s gender affect your answer?

• Yes, and I might be even more excited about buying it, because it would be different than most other Hosted Games.
  • Yes, I would consider buying it. That’s not a big deal to me.
  • Yes, but only if I could pick the protagonist’s gender.
  • I would prefer that the protagonist be a human, but I might consider buying it.
  • No, I would never buy a game with a non-human protagonist.

0 voters

4. Would you consider buying/playing a Hosted Game with a non-human supernatural protagonist (ghost, alien, demon, vampire, etc), and does being able to pick the protagonist’s gender affect your answer?

• Yes, and I might be even more excited about buying it, because it would be different than most other Hosted Games.
  • I would prefer that the protagonist be a human, but I might consider buying it.
  • No, I would never buy a game with a non-human protagonist.

0 voters

5. Would you consider buying/playing a Hosted Game with a set protagonist where you guided the protagonist’s actions but did not play “as” the protagonist? Would the protagonist’s gender affect your answer?

• I would prefer to actually “be” the protagonist, but I might consider buying it.
  • No, I would never buy a game where I could not “be” the protagonist.

0 voters

6. Would you consider buying/playing a Hosted Game where issues of gender, orientation, identity, and romance simply were not factors in the story?

• Yes, I can see how a story might focus entirely on a non-romantic relationship, or a quest, or a mystery, or any number of plots that don’t involve gender issues at all.
  • Yes, I might buy/play it, but I would prefer that there be at least some exploration/acknowledgement of gender issues/identity/orientation, and/or romance.
  • No, I would never buy a game completely devoid of these issues.

0 voters

As I’ve learned personally from HR: RS if romance would feel forced like a showmance it immediately loses all interest to me. Likewise if we’re all in a situation where were in danger also not interested or if the MC us pretty much the only character who stays around. That’s my feeling on romance

Misread the question about non same gender locked so I chose wary instead of excited. And therefore chose not interested at all in same gender locked but I’m ok with glm but I love the idea of glf

The idea of not controlling a protagonist is interesting. I’m imagining a sort of Night trap version of events where we know there’s a killer in the closet so we have to distract the protagonist from going in the closet by

The lights in the room go out

Something falls over upstairs

The closet door gets stuck…

Ah, someone else who knows of the masterpiece that is Night Trap!

Re: the indirect control of a protagonist, I actually imagined something along the lines of the Sims, for reasons which no longer make sense to me as I just crossed the threshold into another room. Curse ye, boundary effect!

The Guardian Angel

You sense that Alice is attracted to Bob. You know Alice is pretty awkward

Nudge Alice to talk to Bob

Do nothing Alice might embarrassed herself

Place a thought of Jane in Alice’s head instead

Nudge Bob to talk to Alice

So far, I’m very surprised that gender-locked against the player only gets a 17% “No I would not buy” response.

I would assume that will go up, as vocal as many people have been about that being a game breaker.

And I’m also surprised that people are so much more open to playing ghosts, demons, aliens, as opposed to playing as animals. I wonder why that is? Maybe they still view the ghost/demon/alien as “more human” or “more relatable” than an animal? Or maybe “alien sex scene” or “demon sex scene” is somehow less controversial or less “ewwww” than “animal sex scene?”

If it’s gender-locked, I tend to not play it, but there have been quite a few exceptions, especially since I started playing CoG and HG games on the regular.

That said, I’ll play as an animal and a ghost. Make a game about a ghost dog, I’d play the crap out of it. (I enjoyed Welcome to Moreytown a lot, if that’s any indicator for my tastes.)

All very good questions, and I’ve got to say that I’ve always found CoG a bit surprising as a website, since the majority of games (even Hosted Games) tend to follow a more or less set pattern when it comes to the layout of the game. To be fair, I’ve not used many other Interactive Fiction sites before, but the ones I have used, pretty much every writer just tends to do their own thing.

Choicescript is such a versatile and easy to use platform for choice based games, and there’s so much that can be done with it. I think it’s quite a shame that more people aren’t trying something different with it. Personally, I quite like it when I see people breaking the mould a little with things like character locked games, games where you play as multiple characters, puzzle/escape/exploration games and stuff like that. :grin:

idk man, animal sex is pretty uncomfortable to watch on Animal Planet…I can’t imagine a game would be any less scarring.

Ok, just so my comment isn’t literally just talking about animal sex…

I think you hit the nail on the head. Supernatural creatures are still, for the most part, quite humanoid. Vampires, werewolves (most of the month), um…at least one half of a mermaid is still humanoid enough that I can imagine people wouldn’t find it terribly difficult to put themselves in their shoes…paws…fishtails…
And even ghosts are still in essence human.

Yes, I agree. I would love to see more diversity of story-telling mechanics.

I fear that readers just “expect” that all Hosted Games will have them playing “as” the protagonist, that they will always be allowed to pick gender, that they will pretty much always play as human, that the writer will use combination of second person in prose with first person in choice answers, etc.

None of those things are “bad.” I would just love to see writers mix it up more. The powers-that-be give us ALMOST carte blanche when it comes to writing stories, but most of us write using similar story mechanics. We’re not fully using the freedom we are given.

Choice of the Cat was pretty fun.

But Animals Besides cats really have little agency even if you’re a human playing one.

Do you want to eat , have sex, poop, sleep, or run around because that’s what Animals do.

Demons and aliens and mermaids and all have more options.

And generally speaking people don’t care if a story is gender locked if it’s well written but a lot of people agree it’d be nice to have more gender locked female games maybe Nonbinary as well .

But what about out-there demon/angel sex scenes? Stuff that probably doesn’t require so much intercourse as it would mind melding and or tentacles or something equally outlandish? :open_mouth:

But “human having sex with an animal/human hybrid” is less “ewww?” (citing Moreytown here, which I did enjoy). I’m just trying to figure out where people draw their lines, and why.

Can I name my tentacle victim Zone Tan?

Hell yeah you could.

I think personally, I find supernatural creatures more relatable because they seem, like you say, “more human.” Particularly with things like vampires, ghosts where, they actually were human at some point. I suppose I find the idea appealing because of the struggles the MC would feel adjusting to the life of an undead being. (This obviously wouldn’t be a struggle for an animal character since, presumably, they were an animal to start with.) :yum:

You’re limiting yourself to an animal sim when you should be thinking Lion King and A Bug’s Life.

Well the animal protagonist would likely be somewhat anthropomorphic, allowing complex speech, thinking, actions, etc. I mean, it could be Zootopia level or Jungle Book/Animal Farm level, or just the classic fable vibe where animals are just as smart, or smarter, than people.

But yes I agree, telling a story from a strictly realistic animal perspective would be…challenging, to put it mildly.

And as @impeccably-stressed points out, Disney and other studios have told masterpieces using animals in most of the main roles. It can be very effective.

I’d play a game genderlocked to female but not one genderlocked to male–maybe if instead of “your own” and “not your own” genders you had “male,” “female,” and “nonbinary” you’d be getting the more polarizing results? As is, I picked “I’d be leery” since it depends on which gender that isn’t mine that it’s locked to

So what about stories where you’re a person to begin with, but you get Shaggy Dog’ed into an animal’s body.

I imagine it’d go something like this:

Meow meow, meow meow meow meow. Meow meow meow meow meow?

*choice
#Meow.
#Meow.
#MEOW! :cat: