[WIP] Daemonglass - Official announcement [Chapter Two uploaded 23/02/24]

I chose the options in screenshot then proceed(the big button at the bottom), i could replicate it reliably.

Edit:
I had nothing better to do so i recorded every choice i made to get to the error

Summary

We’re not born equal so let fate decide.

My scarlet… …shoulder length hair looked amazing.

Your left eye is forest green… and your right eye is forest green.

I need a stool…

“I was studying Father…” …I was actually studying.

Good morning, Alex," she says, hugging you. My favourite daughter."

That’s why I love my Mother.

The Raven of the Bergfalk Family.

Just nod.

Explain in detail.

Explain in detail.

Explain in detail.

…fire."

…water."

I’ll see if my friend Emery is available.

…she intended to surprise you.

Suggest studying together.

I start to read Daemons: personalities and traits.

“Are you feeling nervous?”"

“What do you know of the test itself?”

“Do you think we’re ready?”

“We’ll make our parents proud.”

“Sorry, I better head back, my mother wants me to get some extra studying in tonight,” Emery says sadly.

You return her smile as you join her on the mat.

I’m glad for her.

“This time, it’ll be different,” you say, trying to sound like you knew something she didn’t.

I’m going for an attack rune!

I don’t, I actually drew two runes earlier, but my first was a delayed… …attack rune.

Then after pressing next i get the empty square, after pressing “Ok” i can chose again. Same combination trigers it again.

Also, i really like the interface look in this. Hope more people actually start adjusting look of the interface in their WIP instead using the generic one!

1 Like

Thanks I’ll follow that.

The interface is purely for dashingdon. So when then is finished it will look like the other releases.

Edit: the actual issue is you are not meant to be able to choose the same rune twice so if you choose attack initially you should only have an option to select either defend or enhancement.

I’ll have to redo the code. I swore I used *selectable_if for that choice

1 Like

Aw.

First and foremost I’m really excited for this project as you’re probably my favorite writer (and one of the only ones I know by username).

Second, while I would need to play back through the game for a more in depth analysis the few errors I noticed was haven was often referred to him when I chose for her to be female. Gemini also had a couple of times where they were referred to as him when I think they are supposed to be female otherwise they would be referred to as she/her instead of he/him.

Lastly, onto story stuff. I was kind of wishing that you were able to channel your Essence to appear as sub elements within your chosen element.
For example maybe replacing fire with plasma so it could take the form of fire, lightning, or light
Earth- sand, dirt, stone, or plant life
Air- wind, gas, or just plane force
Water- water, ice, or steam/clouds

It would also be neet to see the powers push into unique combinations or to extreme limits using these sub forms. For example water essence being used to create a blood like substance to keep you fighting beyond the point of critical blood loss, or wind being used augment the duration of holding ones breath beyond humanly possible. A few more examples are a water user casing something in ice only for a plasma user to strike it causing thermal shock, the classic water and electricity combo, or even earth and water creating a quicksand like substance.

1 Like

Also sorry if that was a lot, or not relevant to how you wish the essence to work I’m just excited for this project and got carried away.

1 Like

It’s feedback which is what I want :slight_smile:

It’s actually changed from using the form of elements I’ve just not updated the demo as having to go over the combat so far to update it. Currently you can choose to use a solid, fluid or gas form.

However, today I came to a conclusion that I’m overcomplicating the rune craft for little reward. So I’ve come up with a much simpler but also more open-minded runecraft system.

EDIT: The new runecraft system relies on simply two sigils; the anchor which determines the type of rune (four choices to begin with) and the hourglass which determines the timing of the rune (three options)

Luminal Essence will now change form depending on the type of rune and the situation (for example whether you’re trying to kill a daemon’s host or not) and the timing will have an effect.

There will also be choices that allow you to use a type of rune in an unorthodox way (for example the spar with Haven is now a challenge to break through a barrier they create and you can use the defensive rune which you think wouldn’t be able to help in this situation but hey thats on you for not thinking outside the box creating a barrier to act as a ramp to run and jump over their barrier :wink:

The rune types are as follows;

Cionta also known as the offence rune.
Dion also known as the defence rune.
Meudaich also known as the enhancement rune.
Draoidheil also known as the enchantment rune.

3 Likes

Minor but cool update.

I’ve finished redoing Chapter One and I’ve extended the demo with the first 5000 odd words of Chapter Two (so everything leading up to the first daemon hunt.

I hope everyone likes the new runecraft!

5 Likes

Been working on this today and have finished the first half of the first fight with one of the daemons (specifically the Cionta and Dion runes.) Still need to do the Meudaich and Draoilheil ones.

Which brings me to this post. Meudaich runes are enchantment runes where the Weaver can enchant an item to alter the properties of said item (i.e. sharpening a blade or making a club more durable or heavier). The MC can be aiming to kill the host to help capture the daemon or aim to knock them out or force the daemon to leave themselves.

To do this I’ve got a variable I call [FATAL] to track whether the player’s aim. Well with the Meudaich rune in this particular fight will be weaved onto a weapon I am currently leaning towards a Knife (if fatal) and a retractable baton (if not).

I’m just wondering if anyone has any particular requests or suggestions of items their MC would carry.

Personally I’d like to offer a choice of an umbrella but thats too silly for me to be serious about it could be enchanted to be sharp or blunt, light or heavy

6 Likes

I mean we do have a daemon hunting family i would think that they would have a bunch of weapons. Im definitely not trying to cone up with a logical reason that allows my character to use a scythe…

To be fair Quinn (the rival) does have a daemonglass dagger. So a scythe isn’t too far fetched although it does sound like.only a specific kind of family would cling to so I could tie it to one of the possible family names.

1 Like

I’ve finally finished Chapter Two of Daemonglass with two days to spare before I go to the hospital. The current word count is now 67,111 words.

The latest link is: Daemonglass (dashingdon.com)

Again, the Feedback I am after;

• Feedback on the general concept.
  • Feedback on the story - the world, the NPCs, the daemons and, of course, the runes.
  • Spelling and Grammar mistakes (I’m writing this in my own British English but am using CSIDE, which seems locked in US English, so I’m expecting something to slip past my checks).
  • Pronoun issues - are you getting referred to by the wrong gender?
  • Suggestions for options that you wish you had.
  • Story pacing: do both chapters feel long enough? Is Chapter One too short or is Chapter Two too long?

Now, I am due to go into hospital this Sunday, 25th February, with my Open-Heart Surgery scheduled for Monday morning (26th February). So, I wanted to finish the second chapter before then, which I am grateful to have achieved.

Enjoy the first two chapters of Daemonglass.

11 Likes

Haven’t finished it yet but it’s looks really good I hope we can become a little demonic

1 Like

Good luck and well wishes

1 Like

Well there will be a path to tether a minor spirit to you. Which are daemons who are not strong enough to cross over by themselves. I.e Tier 0

Best wishes for a good surgery and a quick recovery.

1 Like

@Drakeye @AnneWest

Thanks for the well wishes

1 Like

Just to say, congratulations on the writing and wishing you all the best for the surgery and recovery. I hope you can have some relaxation time before you head to the hospital.

2 Likes

After a call with a surgical coordinator, I may have four weeks to wait for my admission and surgery so I plan to make a start on Chapter Three tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying the first two chapters so far.

4 Likes

This is a minor update with some revisions to Runecraft and a few additional choices in Chapters One and Two (trying to minimise the use of *page_break).

I’ve got a potential surgery date of 17th April as long as I can get rid of my cough and sore throat over the weekend.

Latest link: Daemonglass (dashingdon.com)

Reminder of the Feedback I am after is;

• Feedback on the general concept.
  • Feedback on the story - the world, the NPCs, the daemons and, of course, the runes.
  • Spelling and Grammar mistakes (I’m writing this in my own British English but am using CSIDE, which seems locked in US English, so I’m expecting something to slip past my checks).
  • Pronoun issues - are you getting referred to by the wrong gender?
  • Suggestions for options that you wish you had.
  • Story pacing: do both chapters feel long enough? Is Chapter One too short or is Chapter Two too long?

Enjoy and I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it.

10 Likes

So, my date fell through on the 17th due to me not being well enough, but I am well enough now for the operation, so I’m hopefully going into the hospital on the 29th of April.

The latest on Daemonglass is that I’ve pushed a slight update with a different ending to chapter two.

12 Likes