Wip "Cyber Renaissance"

@Pilgrim

Would you like to copy/paste it into the forums? That would make it easier to debug as we can see the code exactly as you’ve written it. (If you can, include `

` on the line before and `

` on the line after what you’ve copied into the forum.)

There’s a | after “2nd”.

EDIT: Nevermind if that’s actually the text indicator (cursor, how you call it).

I’ve tried many different things, but the consistent error seems to be that the addition of the four new variables (2nd, himher, hisher, title) causes a script error in mygame.

1. Is there some other place, aside from “mygame”, where I need to include these new variables?

2. Whenever I take out these four new variables, “mygame” works fine, so what is it about these variables that causes a script error?

3. Is it possible that one of the variables, for example “title” or “2nd” is formulated in an unacceptable way (fore example, the use of a number as in 2nd is not allowed in mygame)?

here’s the copy/paste of a non-working “mygame”

// Specify the list of scenes here, separated by commas, with no final comma

nav = new SceneNavigator([
“startup”
,“animal”
,“variables”
,“gosub”
,“ending”
,“death”

]);

// Specify the default starting stats here

stats = {
leadership: 50
,strength: 50
,given_name: “J”
,surname: “Doe”
,nick: “Subject 5”
,sex: “n/a”
,eyes: “undetermined”
,hair: “unknown”
,race: “t.b.d.”
,technophile: 50
,machiavellian: 50
,emulous: 50
,warmonger: 50
,cassanova: 50
,physique: 0
,social: 0
,programming: 0
,covert: 0
,science: 0
,marksmanship: 0
,cqc: 0
,title: “n/a”
,himher: “n/a”
,hisher: “n/a”
,2nd: “n/a”
};

// Specify the stats to use in debug mode

debugStats = {
leadership: 50
,strength: 50

};

// or just use defaults
// debugStats = stats

,2nd: “n/a”

This variable is the problem; an variable identifier(name) can NOT start with a number. It can start with either an underscore or a letter, and can contain letters, underscores or numbers. You should use Notepad++ as it has Syntax Highlighting; I copy/pasted this into Notepad++ and it highlighted the variable name with red, showing it’s either a reserved word or something else that actually means something in JavaScript.

Edit:

It seems the fault was with the formulation of the variable “2nd”. Apparently, something about the formulation, I’m guessing the number ‘2’, caused a script error. Changing “2nd” to “heshe” solved the problem!

Small update:

• now with end-screen
  • can finish conversation with Lesmort

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122902630/web/mygame/index.html

Thanks for the help with the script you guys!

After the first time you refuse Prometheus…

* “There’s a decent chance you will never walk again, but at least whine coolers are 50% off at Mall-wart!”

Was that meant to be “wine coolers” or not? (The typo is actually quite funny, just by the way.)

* On the stats screen, “Cassanova” should be “Casanova.”

The demo its amazing, its like be the Deus ex protagonist and a little touch of the acid sarcasm humor with so fit ciberpunk subgenre, is there. The atribute name Casanova puzzle me , like we will use like entretaining robot? Or its only another way to call charisma status?. I only have a concern, the typical genre hero its not a hero at all, Deckart , jensen are a little excepctions and they dont act like all for the great good think, the pc has to be the action hero or can be a bad girl? And i hope see more landscape descripcions if i choose see in the helicopter B-) I want to read a good cyberpunk futurist landscape description 8->

Awesome demo :smiley:

Great demo!! But I was a girl and I was a called a he: “No, I wish to introduce our subject to the man responsible for his second chance at life.”

@MaraJade
I imagine the Casanova trait as an all-encompassing term for things like extravertedness, charisma, flirtatiousness, sexual conquests and so on, while the Ascetic trait is to describe someone who prefers solitude, rejects social attachments, seeks strength in independence or stands *above* petty romance.

Not sure who you mean by ‘Deckart’, but are you saying that you expect a do-good hero in a Cyberpunk setting, or that you expect more of an amoral anti-hero, or something else? I’ll see what I can do about include some landscape descriptions, not sure if I’ll be able to pull it off but I’ll give it a try.

Also thanks for spotting those errors, dreamwolf685 and Ramidel!

Deckart is the name has in spanish at least , the blade runner main character in both book and movie. If you dont read it or see the movie you should do it. All the beautiful grafic style of deus ex its directly sujested by the film, they admited it in the art book i think if i remember correctly.

Deckard (with a D) is the protagonist in the movie Blade Runner, a cyberpunk/techno-noir classic.

Sorry i always write it bad, X_X Im horrible with names, i read anne rice saga a lot of times and still dont know if is leslat or lestat. And there is a god but old video game which one doesnt tell the same story but is set in the same universe. Do you like more @HoraceTorys the book or the film?

Haven’t read the book… perhaps I’ll have to.

Book ist a lot of diferent, its san francisco not LA, and dekard is married, sebastian is a special dumb not a munchausen syndrome genius, and its more clear than he is a replicant.

Another petit update; this should give a good indication of the way I want to set up the initial stats.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122902630/web/mygame/index.html

But before I finish up the introduction part, I’d like to see if I can include the option to choose your own name and surname.

Does anyone know how to give the option to input your own name?

Great new update! I like the test sistem too

This is what you need to check for the surname/name input functions.

Okay, personally, the word-association game does not sound like how I’d want to set up my stats. At best, it’s highly trial-and-error. (Fallout NV makes you go through the rigmarole, which is still annoying, but at least it doesn’t hold you to your answers.)