Which type of story attracts you most and why?

I’m thinking of ideas to write, and i have various histories types in my mind, but only superficial for now.

Military/War = You are in the military, and the war comes, you are a career individual, a drafted or a enlisted? What will be your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty)? You have family? What are your toughts about war? This is your first war? So much about you, but there will be your teammates too, what you will do for them? Duty or Loyalty? Orders or Morality? There will be some choices for build your MC, above appearance customization. Expect Rank ascension or fall too

Dystopian = Alternate Scenarios. Like a Roman Empire Victory against Barbarian Invasions, or the South win in the American Civil War, or a Axis Victory against Allied Forces (controversial subject, but i a fan of Man in the High Castle of Philiph K. Dick, great history :smile:)
this does not necessarily fit into the war option, since the major target of such issues are the way people would live in such a situation, I think :thinking:

Apocalyptic = Various options, Nuclear Doomsday, Zombie Pandemic, Alien Invasion.
The focus will be the survive of our MC (family possible too), management of resources too.
A idea i have (peharps mix of war/survival), , you are responsable for implement a quarentine in a city, the threat is permeated by uncertainty. Investigate, discover, you will can contain it? or she’ll swallow us all?

Noir = You are a --PD officer (for example Hill Town Police Departament), a cop in a north american city, you will fight against corruption/crime or become what you swore destroy? You will make a career? You will be a man of family or a lone wolf? Think about the history of Jack Boyd (This is the Police, nice game), or the history of Beat Cop (other nice game) but with choices.

• Military/War
  • Dystopian
  • Apocalyptic
  • Noir

0 voters

I suppose I’ll be the first to say that the plot itself is more important than a genre. I can love noir, but find a war game more engaging because of plot and characters.

Also, I have a question: when you say apocalyptic, do you mean Day After Tomorrow, the disaster is happening now, kind of apocalyptic? Or Fallout, the disaster happened long ago, kin of apocalyptic? (in which case, it would be called post-apocalyptic)

I need to know because my vote changes depending on which one it is.

3 Likes

I think the same :smile:
I will try to uptade the topic for make more sense.

I thought about it when I created the poll, but I think the three assumptions fit in a certain way in context, should have put them in parenthesis, because I have not yet thought about which one I want to go back to in a story, but the common point is that in all there is a collapse, but the way to deal / survive / face it changes.

Thank you for share your thoughts with me :wink::smiley:

All of them. Any CYOA game draws my attention.

1 Like