For consumers’ consideration,
Cost- Steam is slightly more expensive, costing around 20 cents to $1.50 more (depend on regional pricing for your country) - I live in Singapore.
Save games from different platforms comparsion- I lost some save games from Evertree Inn (sequel in progress), Zombie exodus, and hero redemption due to the android invisible saves not saving, losing lots of progress. In addition, I did not save to games such as full paid versions of community college hero and unnaturals as i did not know that there will be sequels. The save games problems ca be avoided by using steam as saves are located in your PC.
Renumeration to authors- Steam pays more to authors as it is slightly more expensive but android is the biggest market (Thanks for authors’ input)
Accessibility- android games/ apps such as interactive function can be convenient offline when using commuting/ daily travel time, saving time you are going to use for travel anyway while steam requires laptop or PC most likely at home.
Suggestions to users contemplating on which platform favors the author more as well as user functionalty-
- buy steam choice/hosted games but leave favourable review in android
- continue with android and leave favourable review in android store (remember to ensure that you have saved games in case there are sequel.)
- up to you whether you want both steam and android versions for best of both worlds if you are relatively well off.
Future of interactive fiction -
- if you are displeased with a certain interactive fiction, do not leave negative reviews in play store. Instead, contact authors directly- e-mail or forum here, giving constructive criticism on areas for improvements
- the omnibus android app when implemented - give reviews for individual authors’ stories (in app purchase) within the app itself as well as the play store. Review old stories that you already own in your app library as well as new stories that you purchase from the omnibus app.