When do you write?

That sounds nutritious. Maybe a little low on protein, though.

5 Likes

Ah, but thereā€™s nothing quite as satisfying as sinking your teeth into a nice meaty story.

@HannahPS Yeah, I have felt it more acutely now that Iā€™m married with kids and my free time is exponentially smaller. But to some extent that nagging voice has been there ever since I started writing half a lifetime ago. Such a jerk, that voice. Yet without it where would we be?

5 Likes

I know right?? I think back to pre-kid-time when I thought I didnā€™t have enough time and am like ā€œyou really didnā€™t know how much free time you had, buckoā€.

3 Likes

At 3 AM, waking up early and frantically hammering out every word I can before it banishes from my memory. In the middle of making lunch, struggling to find my phone so that I can take notes. Crossing the street and suddenly being struck by inspiration.

In short: the least convenient times imaginable.

2 Likes

I write mostly in the mornings, after my daughter has gone to school anf my bf is at work, and I have to work late. I canĀ“t work, when someone is in the same room as I am. So I have very little time

3 Likes

I tend to write between the hours of 9 PM and 3 AM, though I notice I donā€™t really tend to pick up steam until after 11 PM or midnight. I often have full days to write but for some reason just canā€™t concentrate during the day, possibly because I know Iā€™m going to get interrupted eventually by the need to eat, cook, or go out and do things!

5 Likes

After work and on the weekends I donā€™t have plans. I noticed that Iā€™m more productive too when Iā€™m feeling some type of way (happy, sad, anxious) since the emotion tends to find itself in my writing. Iā€™m going to try a weekly writersā€™ meet up in hopes itā€™ll keep me on track.

My biggest sacrifice would have to be Netflix/Hulu/etc. Thereā€™s so many good series just piling up on my must watch list.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know what ya got, 'til itā€™s gone.

One long ago Saturday I started a new Xbox 360 game, Singularity. And then ten hours later I finished it, that same day. Whatā€™s sad is, if I had that much free time today Iā€™d probably still manage to fritter away 95% of it just like I did then. Timeā€™s such a slippery little thing.

2 Likes

I feel most productive between breakfast and lunch, when I can just knuckle down and get writing. I really canā€™t do that early in the morning or late at night., when I either feel tired or canā€™t be bothered. Jumping from writing to other activities doesnā€™t really work for me either, it kinda has to be an hour or two long.