What makes a game replayable?
This topic seems to get brought up as a side issue in several other discussions. Some of the ideas that I have seen come up are:
- Choices that lead to different chapters (e.g., Choice of Robots)
- Too many choices for a single playthrough
- A mystery that can only be fully discovered over multiple playthroughs
- Challenging achievements or stat goals (e.g., collecting all the phobias possible in Heart of the House, surviving winter in XoR with minimal casualties)
- Interesting romantic options
- A very strong core story
My question is really two-part. First, what else can be added to this list?
Second, which items on the list (above and added throughout the thread) are most effective in driving you to play again? Which aren’t and why not?