What do i do with "*comment"s?

*comment Copyright 2010 by Dan Fabulich.
*comment
*comment Dan Fabulich licenses this file to you under the
*comment ChoiceScript License, Version 1.0 (the “License”); you may
*comment not use this file except in compliance with the License.
*comment You may obtain a copy of the License at
*comment
*comment http://www.choiceofgames.com/LICENSE-1.0.txt
*comment
*comment See the License for the specific language governing
*comment permissions and limitations under the License.
*comment
*comment Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
*comment software distributed under the License is distributed on an
*comment “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND,
*comment either express or implied.

what am supposed to do without getting into truoble for using this?!

That’s a published game from another author. The trouble is that you can not republic something that another person did and it’s already copyrighted. You can read it and learn from it but you should create your own original game if you want to publish it through hosted games or choice of games label. Read the guides please.

That’s the licence agreement for anybody using ChoiceScript. Dan Fabulich invented ChoiceScript, so it’s copyrighted to him. You won’t get into trouble using ChoiceScript, as long as you comply with the licence, which is linked right there.

2 Likes

This is on the startup file that i got when downloading choicescript

Yes, you can delete all those *comments and start build your game.
It should look something like this

Replace everything inside of these symbols <> with your own title, author, name, variable names, and so on…

But really, you should read the guides to understand how everything works, they are super helpful, there’s a lot of information there that will help you solve all the issues you are having now.

1 Like

*comment is just a way to write something into the code that won’t show up or do anything at all. I use them as notes next to variables so I can list what each value means, or as placeholders for spots where I will put an achievement, or occasionally to put a greeting in there to code divers that might see it one day.

4 Likes

Challenge accepted!

2 Likes

Do it! I had at least one of those in there in Parenting that addressed @Bugreporter , who was my most prolific beta tester and probably knew more about the code than I did.

3 Likes

Oh of course i could just remove them​:face_exhaling::man_facepalming:

I use them frequently to tell the copyeditor that a word spelled incorrectly for comic effect is meant to be there.

4 Likes

Ohhhhh, smart. Stealing this.