Visual Novel rec -- Our Life: Beginnings and Always

Step 1: Runaway (particularly when MC goes to find Cove after hearing he’s missing)
Step 2: Road Trip/Soiree; honorable mention to Escapade for the scene where MC asks for a shirt from Cove + them at the movie theater
Step 3: Reflection
Overall: Happiness

Replayed earlier (because I wanted to see what it looked like to have Cove be the one to initiate the romance – which was v hard because he doesn’t do it until the end of Step 3, but it was still v adorable especially when he accidentally slips out “I love you” and then is worried MC is gonna freak out because they’d been official for like… a day lol) and can say with certainty that Cove is demisexual (not sexually attracted to someone unless he’s already romantically attracted/attached) and panromantic (no preference for any specific gender identity)!

4 Likes

I keep seeing people say you can propose to Cove is that something you can actually do in step 3 or is it only in step 4?

Also, you know how if you get Cove’s top before the Road Trip you have the option to take it with you does anyone know if there are other things like that where playing the game out of order adds new lines or scenes?

You can propose to Cove in the final chapter of the Step 3 DLC on your ‘hill’, it’s so cute.

As for the other part of your question, the only thing I can really think of is digging into what he finds ‘sexy’ during the road trip and finding out that he has a thing for (spoiler I guess?) anklets. You can choose to buy one or pre-own one. And there’s a few times you’re able to wear it, I can’t remember all of them, but I do remember being able to wear one in your room when he visits, and during the ball for the Environment charity.

Oh! And if you let him buy you a keychain in Step 1, you can put it on your phone in Step 3.

1 Like

OMG! how do you propose are there things you need to do in order for it to happen? because I need to see this! :pleading_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

and thank you for answering my question. :relaxed:

1 Like

That’s alright! As for how to propose, I don’t believe I did anything special? It might be safer to go into Step 3 with a romantic relationship already solidified (but that may not be needed) though my character was definitely in love with Cove from the beginning of Step 3, they didn’t just have a crush on him—I’m pretty sure the love part is the only thing that you need, and possibly saying that you would like to be married one day when the question pops up in the DLC.

1 Like

For Step 3, you need to be in love with Cove, confess that you love him either in Charity or End of Summer (i got to do this when i went to his place and crashed there), and have the Reflections moment (Step 3 DLC) so you can discuss about marriage. There is a guide in GB Patch’s tumblr too. Just scroll down to last question.

You can also propose (or Cove will propose to you if you prefer) in Step 4, which is still in the works.

1 Like

I love this game! Even purchased all three DLCs! I cant wait for Step 4 to come out!

Besides the amazingness of Cove, who is the best and I love him, I HAAAAAVE to talk about how well the authors write child characters, and from kids’ perspectives. Even small things, like choosing ice cream flavors or being a little scared of fireworks, how comforting your parents are, fears, ideas, conversations, the reasoning behind their choices, etc. It’s all so damn REALISTIC. It brought me back to childhood like no other piece of fiction has. Truly set the gold standard for writing child characters.

It’s really hard for adults to write from the POV of kids because we’ve forgotten so much of it, if I don’t necessarily mind playing as a kid who is basically just a small adult, but if authors want to capture the authentic perspective of a kid, I CANNOT recommend this enough as inspiration.

8 Likes