Valhalla

Maybe something culture based, ie. Humans - 6 shooter, etherians - psionic disruptor, guaran - something like the Klingons sword/boomerang, tomei - option to use claws.

4 Likes

I love your writing. I don’t know how you did it, but somehow you’ve managed to make me feel attached to everyone who shows up in the opening scene. The little glimpses of Ace intrigue me (I can’t wait to properly interact with them and get into some sweet Rivals-to-Lovers action), but I just love Kel and Diaz, and I’m even fond of Ytwith and Esther even though they only show up for roughly one to two lines. I know we’ll be seeing Ace again, but I hope all of them come back.

Also, I really like the atmosphere of the section that follows, especially once you get on the ship, and the drone is the one of the most adorable pets I’ve ever had in a game. I’m glad this character is basically immune to horror shenanigans and didn’t shoot.

Did run across a few technical issues, though: in the “Ace and I have never really gotten along” option, if you try to and then decide against hanging up on your teammates, it abruptly segues into the innuendo “we just made out a little” dialogue. I also noticed a smattering of typos-- namely, in Ace’s reaction to the “trolling my teammates by telling them I’m dating Ace” option, just before the alarms sound. Aside from that one, though, there was nothing egregious enough to take me out of the experience.

4 Likes

Today’s the day! Can’t wait! Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Day of what?

Being alone on an alien ship, yea not my cup of tea thanks :+1: :grin: . Its bad enough that the ship is huge and also sentient. It would be even worse if it wasn’t sentient. Just a huge empty ship with no people on it.

I mean, yeah, but who else can say they are friends with a sentient ship?!

I see your point :smirk: . Can’t trump that! Ha :grin: .

Thanks for share.

Update: 11/26/20
Hello, everyone! :smiley: Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you’re all staying safe.

I’ve uploaded the first part of chapter 4. It’s a flashback to a few weeks before you got sucked into the wormhole, and you get your first look at Ace :smiley: I’ve also fixed up some bugs, but now more have popped up lol. Please let me know what you think, especially regarding the flow of combat.

Unfortunately, I messed up my wrist, so I haven’t been able to write too much this month. It’s nothing major, but I’m going to skip the December update to let it heal. I will continue to polish the game in the meantime.

Also, I need some help from you guys! I really don’t like the names “ferroblade” and “hermean turnkey” for the psionic weapons, and would appreciate suggestions :smiley: Here’s the information for it again so you don’t have to go back and look.

Psionic Weapon (Spoilers)

#A hermean turnkey, also known as a ferroblade; a shapechanging weapon made of programable metal, coupled with a psionic interface.

Your ferroblade is probably the most expensive thing you own, including your ship. Not necessarily due to its innate power, though. It’s useful, yes, but it’s the xeno- and archaeological value that drives the price. Hermean turnkeys are a type of precursor technology, scavenged from the ruins of those who came before. It’s much like the idol you plucked from the ruins- fantastical tech unmatched by even the most cutting edge of today’s technology.

Turnkeys are made of shifting, programable metal. The exact elemental make up is hard to place, as the technology that allows it to change shape resists investigation. All you really know is that the two-tone metal bends according to your will. The weapon is psi-enabled, thanks to a ribbon-like psionic interface sunk into the metal. This allows psions like yourself to manipulate the metal with your mind. As long as the ferroblade is in hand, you have access to an entire armory of melee weapons. Your only limitations are your skill and imagination.

The next update should be on January 26, 2021, although I might put up a few fixes between now and then. But for now, Happy Holidays!

16 Likes

Personally I really like the name ferroblade. It sounds cool. But supposedly you don’t know the metals, but doesn’t “ferro” mean iron?

4 Likes

Nice work, as usual. :slight_smile: I thought the fight scene worked quite well, I feel like I was able to follow what was happening more or less and you did a great job describing the visuals and making the raider boss seem really intimidating, but also gave it a frenetic feel that I think worked quite nicely - as in, I could follow the action, but not TOO much, if that makes sense. And it was cool to get to see Ace after spending the game basically alone.

One nitpick I have is I feel like it might be worth giving more connective tissue between the present day and the flashback. It was a little jarring to me, because I didn’t really understand why my character is having this memory, what triggered it in particular. Not a dealbreaker or anything, but just something I wanted to mention since my mind hung on it for a second.

I’m awful at coming up with cool sounding names so I can’t really help there, but I do second Jackpot that ferroblade sounds pretty cool. Hermean turnkey is also a cool name, but sounds like more of a utility tool than a weapon (although that does kind of make sense given what I understand of its function and how it relates to the ferroblade, so maybe that’s a good thing?)

3 Likes

As soneone who has watched, and enjoyed, farscape. I like this book. Also. Is the… I forget his name, the little guy with the retractible claws, going to be on that repulserlift thingy? The one Rijal was always on in the searies and movies.
Also. Cool showing the VP of the ship! Gives. Gives the ship some more personality, I think, anyway.
Also. Will you get to use that pretty, pretty chainsaw on, I assme your knew, lancer rifle at any point?
Anyway. I will stop now. Good game over all, looking forward to updates. Now I have something to look forward to in Januarry!

2 Likes

I like the name, too, I’m just not sure if it fits lol. And yes, it’s short for “ferrous,” thank you for noticing :smiley:

I’m probably just overthinking this lol. Thank you for your input :smiley:

Thank you for pointing that out, I completely forgot to adjust that part lol

I’m not entirely sure who you’re asking about, but no. Nobody gets a hoverchair-thing. But I do plan on giving Orin (who is the most like Rygel) something special :smiley:

Unfortunately, your lancer (or whatever other weapon you might have chosen) is currently broken. But it won’t be staying that way. So yes! Different weapons will behave differently in combat.

Which means I’ll have to do a lot of extra variation- if anyone has any ideas on how to maximize the fun with their weapons, please let me know :smiley:

5 Likes

Some kind of text about the recoil for the hand cannon, the chainsaw for the Lancer, something about blunt force trauma for that rocket hammer thing, some sort related thingy for the swords you get, either the blade, or that nano sword thing.
If I read the text right, some conditional text one computers are involved with the tech rifle, I forgot the other weaponry at the moment.

Tiny Patch, 12/26/2020

Happy holidays, everyone! I’ve fixed a few bugs, but there’s no new content, I’m afraid. Now that my break is over (and my wrist is better) I’ll get back to writing. See you next year :smiley:

24 Likes

I love all the choices that are available! They’re all quite funny and relatable.
I can’t wait for more!

1 Like

I like “hermean turnkey” and “ferroblade”, but I do agree both feel problematic. The first seems too technical/esoteric-- I doubt many people will recognize the meaning of “hermean” in this context, and “turnkey” seems too removed from the item’s function as a weapon. It does seem like something that can be used for a lot more than fighting, but unless you’re going to emphasize that (which would be awesome, mind you), then it seems strange to name it that way.

Similarly, “ferroblade” is a cool name, but fails to adequately describe what the weapon is or does. It could work with some worldbuilding context, but I don’t look at the word ferroblade and think “shapeshifting psionically-controlled weapon”. At best, I think “magnetic sword”. Maybe something more like… mercury blade? Hydroblade? Psirazor? Or, if you don’t mind being esoteric (and/or puns), maybe hydrargladius? Amalgament? Free to use any or all of those, or not. Honestly, I might use one or two of them myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Fun fact: I actually wrote this a few weeks ago, but forgot to send it. :V)

5 Likes

Hydragladius sounds super boss! Like a sword gifted to the hero in a Greek epic.

1 Like

Hi there. Been following your work for a while now and I gotta say the story got me curious. I love science-fiction and stuff similar to science-fiction. Valhalla is a great name too. The only problem is this video playing in my head everytime I see this thread on the forum : https://youtu.be/diipyjrX1gA
Happy new year!

1 Like

Yes! I’m so happy I found this within the forums! The beginning of the story really drew me in! It is a m a z i n g. I especially love that when you’re reading from Valhalla’s pov, the stats are in another language consists of a variety of symbols which to me is really cool. And the fact that we get to see the MC do what they do when crashing into the unknown immerses me more in it along with the flashbacks. Hehe being a psionic is fun aside from headaches and the possibility of destroying yourself when using it but… that’s meh. I love this world you thought of and its to me, portrayed quite nicely. So now I’m really curious on how the world is like. I’m imagining the color scheme for each alien species and what their home planet would look like.
The flashbacks spark my curiosity, like, we’re just in the prologue so I’m like extremely curious , about the world and Ace’s backstory/history. Reading some info about the ROs, there’s gonna be politics regarding the aliens’ home planets that will involve MC and crew. Hehe the possibilities.
Also the sass & shenanigans in this is just chefs kiss. I need that in my life.
I can’t wait to read more of what you got! But I can wait, cue me rereading this over and over again stay safe!

6 Likes