Unpopular Opinions - Games Everyone Loves, But You Don't

A Mage Reborn. I can’t even play this game again. I know that the angst in the end was the author intention, and it hurted, of course. But the angst it’s not the main problem for me: I absolutely LOATHE the fact that the author just trow us in another plot without givin us some kind of closure from the traumatizing events of the first book, at least. Oh, I know it is a me problem, but seriously, I can’t stand how the things go in the second book. I really didn’t get to pay atention on the plot or the people that ressurrected the MC, because I was still thinking if how fucked up things ended. All the interactions after MC got ressurrected for me are like a background noise. My MC was just there, suffering and don’t giving a fuck about all this people. It was horrible.

Grey Eyes of Death, because MC’s best friend was so annoying that made me stop playing.

7 Likes

I suppose that’s what you get when there are high mechanics involved. The writing will probably suffer somewhat. However, I on the other hand like it. I know that some people are probably ticked off mostly by the fact that they are leaving their precious romances behind on Earth. Furthermore, they will have to go through a whole second book without hearing from them. While some people clearly doesn’t like it, in my opinion, there is something quite realistic about it. It is entirely possible for a main character to be taken away From their romance, and Adrao’s games were never really focused on the romance anyway. Oh well. All these different opinions are interesting nonetheless.

1 Like

The Breach series

It actually hurts saying this since I was there since the WIP days of the first game and was actually in an early closed beta group before I eventually ghosted the forums for years, but I digress.

What worked for Saints Row, Grand Theft Auto, Hotline Miami, and other similar fiction in the crime/heist genre, just doesn’t translate that well in a choice game. Or just as a written story, in general. Like imo, some genres are best presented in a visual medium (meaning: games, shows, movies, comics, etc) than a written one.

I guess I have a love-hate relationship with the game since I did enjoy it. I just felt like a story like that would be better enjoyed as an actual video game or smth.

3 Likes

I’m not really a romance guy, so that part of hero and villain doesn’t bother me, but just the characters on their own aren’t very likable is what I’m saying.
for breach, can you elaborate? What do you mean when you say it would work better in a visual medium? As a blind player, I don’t really see the problem with it, descriptions are vivid, and it’s easy to comprehend what’s happening

3 Likes

Samurai of Hyuga and wayhaven for me. I really tried to get into said books, mostly because of the hype but it was so impossible and tedious. I remember precisely stopping at the yellow tape/investigation scene in WH and I didn’t make it past speaking to the emperor for SOH.

11 Likes

I’m a blind player myself. I suppose all the action involved simply makes people want to visualise stuff. I can make a counter argument when it comes to customising appearances. It’s a text based game and most of the time, these appearances are mere suggestions, so it’s not surprising that I often find myself swearing a little whenever I have to customise the crap out of an MC, just for the appearances not to be used more creatively, but that’s for another thread entirely.

4 Likes

Community College Hero for me. I don’t get the appeal of school-setting games in general, especially if they’re focused on high school. I had a miserable time living through it, and still don’t understand teenagers (or college students) and their penchant for unnecessary drama and the whole thing with peer pressure. I’d heard good things about it, read through it once while proofreading, submitted the feedback, and then politely backed out of the process. It’s not objectively bad, it just doesn’t gel well with me.

12 Likes

You made it farther in WH then I did in SOR. When I first played through, I got to the bit where we started setting. Our characters appearance, and I went… Crap… I’m not gonna like this. I would eventually play the full thing, but that was more because everybody else was and I wanted to see what was going on, so I’d be in the loop whenever it would get brought up in discussion. Same thing with WH, I wouldn’t normally play it but everybody keeps talking about it so I play it just so I understand what the conversations are about.

1 Like

That’s true. But I also feel like that particular scenario also comes off as kind of icky? Like, if the author wanted to include parts the Guen/Lancelot storyline even for Gueneveres who aren’t attracted to men and/or Lancelot, they could’ve just had Lancelot have a one-sided crush on Guen, and then have her reject him - heck, that’s functionally what happens in the game anyways if you don’t want to romance him.

But to include a plot-point that ‘forces’ aspec or lesbian versions of Guen to be attracted to Lancelot regardless of preference just feels wrong and kind of gross to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I do get what you’re saying, and I’m sure that it can be a very interesting character study and can lead to some unique character interactions. But to me personally, it just feels like a weird and off-putting choice.

8 Likes

Kingdoms and Empires… I think it’s just not for me, it’s very slow and I feel like it’s getting nowhere! A lot of people seem to like it and that’s fine, it’s just not really my style

3 Likes

Breach was better before beta imho, among a few things, it had humor that was deleted because “hurr durr isn’t appropriate” as well as scenes that were quite more mature for example when you got to Borchard (the Don’s stepbro) the mc was able to actually perform the torture themselves instead of “hey I need help, can you do it for me?” , without them the game ain’t bad but it doesn’t feel as good when one knows how it was before.

3 Likes

I actually don’t remember that lol. What I do remember is enjoying the WIP a bit more than the finished product.

Hmm. I don’t have a whole lot to add because I tend to just abandon games I don’t enjoy midway through (I play to have fun; if I’m not having fun, I’ll find some other fun thing to do). I remember doing that for Choice of Rebels and Samurai of Hyuga. I quit Soul Stone War too, but that was right at the end of the first game. Usually the problem is that the author has a vision for the story or the MC that I just can’t go along with - a personal issue, more or less.

3 Likes

I’m closing this thread for now as it seems more about general negativity rather than feedback intended for authors, or more focused discussion on particular game elements people don’t enjoy.

Of course people are free to post constructively about things they don’t enjoy - I would suggest posting in invidividual game threads if you have feedback that you’d like an author to see, make a thread that’s about a more specific aspect of games that you dislike, or post on one of the similar existing threads including:

-Most hated element/mechanic in choice games
-Tropes and stories you hate
-What are the common tropes/cliches you see in CoG games that you like and don’t like
-I’m Sorry But I Think We Should See Other People - ROs you hate

13 Likes