Ultimate Noob Coding

@hustlertwo the option to load an existing project is “Import” under the file menu. From there you must select the startup.txt scene file.

Regarding having to download each update individually, this is done intentionally as certain updates require specific files, or the updater itself changes. The program has no method of knowing about these changes without updating to each released version in turn. I am not currently supporting this version of Chronicler anymore in favor of a new one, so you shouldn’t have to worry about further updates.

Send me a PM if you have any further questions about Chronicler.

• BenSeawalker
1 Like

Hi! First off, thanks for making something like this. Great to have people out there working to make game creation easier. However, both yesterday and tonight every attempt I make to import the startup file I have in CSIDE leads to a message that Chronicler stopped working, and then it crashes.

I will PM you if I have any major questions, but one quick one: what’s a rough ETA for the next one coming out? is it worth it to learn this one or should I just hang on a few weeks? Or is it out already and I just get an F in Situational Awareness?

Release date is planned for late this year. Probably end of December or even extending into next year. This is a rough estimate and it will likely be very much in beta still. Bear in mind I’m starting from scratch with new technologies and only a single person. That being said I am using it for my Senior Project at uni, so I should have more time to work on it than I normally would.

If you don’t mind sharing your code, I can debug it and see where it causes Chronicler to crash. If it is a simple fix I may be able to release it tonight after I get home from work.

Just shoot me an email at benseawalker@yahoo.com with your scene files. Include Chronicler in the title so my client can sort it.

• BenSeawalker
2 Likes

Thanks, e-mail sent.

Worked some last night without issues on the first scene after the startup. Had a weird issue tonight where CSIDE spun forever and wouldn’t save, but that seems to have resolved. So far, so good.

Ben, I imagine that means I need to either use the current version or not at all, since like everyone else I’m under the gun with the contest deadline. It’ll still be great to see it when it hits, though. Should be quite the senior project.

2 Likes

If you wish to have certain text display based on a choice made substantially earlier in the chapter, how would that best be done? Should I do an if/then string, or set a *temp var based on the selection, or something else entirely?

Also, is there any way to playtest a specific scene in CSIDE? Every time I seem to have to do it all the way from startup, which would be increasingly more frustrating the further along things get.

If it’s just a single, short piece of text, you can use this code:
@{(condition = true) Text if true. | Text if false. }

(Technically, you don’t need the = true, but I’m including it for clarity.)

If it’s a single long piece of text, then an *if/*else would probably be easier to understand.

If it’s multiple identical pieces of text, then setting it up as a *temp variable (or even calling a subroutine with *gosub, although this is more complicated) might be better.

All should work just as well as each other, but the question is really which one(s) you’d find easiest to write and read.

(I’m afraid I can’t help you with the CSIDE question, though.)

5 Likes

They are not all the same length, but range from one long sentence to a short paragraph depending on which choice it was. Would true/false still work if it had not been a binary choice? There were four or five different options.

Sounds like your best bet would be *if/*elseif/*else, then.

3 Likes

Take example of this code:

*choice
   #Option 1
      *set symbol "!"
   #Option 2
      *set symbol "?"
   #Option 3
      *set symbol "-_-"
   #Option 4
      *set symbol "( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"
   #Option 5
      *set symbol ":/"

Now, with those 5 different options, you can make a conditional check by using

*if (symbol = "!")
   Haha!
*if (symbol = "?")
   Wut?
*if blahblah
   blahblah

And so on.

Keep in mind that you can use a series of *if instead of a combination between *if/*else/*elseif

6 Likes

I tried that fix but now it’s tacking on like ten errors, some of which are inexplicably not even involved in this scene (like in startup where I have it set to goto_scene depending on which of two choices are made, it says that’s a fail, but this is in another chapter so why it only comes up at this point seems strange).

Here’s my code:

As you idly wave at a couple of students heading in the opposite direction, you lock eyes with Jacques.  The rat-faced youth stares at you as he waits outside the medical dispensary, his expression neutral.  You can still remember how you dealt with his attempt at bullying when he had first arrived at the Academy.  You did so:
*choice
    #With my fists.
        While he was snickering with his toadies about your lack of skill, you walked right up and belted him in the stomach.  The week you spent on latrine duty was well worth the day he spent in the infirmary.  He demanded a fair fight shortly thereafter, and you promptly mopped the floor with him then as well. Sparring between students was encouraged in order to resolve conflicts in a nonlethal fashion, and you spent so much time training to make sure you could best any comer that your studies suffered a bit. (Strength +4, Intelligence -2)
        *set Strength +4
        *set Intelligence -2
        *set symbol ")"
        *goto You_pass_out
    #By hacking his terminal and changing the password.
        Even better, you extort 20 credits from him before you'll divulge what the new password is.  In the end you had set it as "Six silly servants sipped seven sangrias sitting at the seaside."  Tactile input disabled, so he could only access it vocally.  That was a fun couple of hours.  This and other such tricks provided no shortage of entertainment to your fellow cadets, although all your time spent in front of vid displays working your tech  magic didn't do your eyesight any favors. (Ingenuity +4, Marksmanship -2)
        *set Ingenuity +4
        *set Marksmanship -2
        *set symbol "("
        *goto You_pass_out
    #By spreading a rumor about his past.
        You're pretty sure there's no such thing as an amateur bear semen collector, but since when has the truth stopped a juicy bit of gossip?  Jacques became such a laughing-stock that he nearly dropped out of the program altogether.  Those in the know felt you were a bit of a weenie by not confronting him directly, though.  Your tongue has definitely been the most exercised part of your body. (Influence +4, Strength -2)
        *set Influence+4
        *set Strength-2
        *set symbol "*"
        *goto You_pass_out
    #Took a beating without blinking an eye
        When Jacques turned from verbal barbs to physical provocation, you stood tall and let him thrash you.  But for all his viciousness, the smaller cadet wasn't able to land many effective blows, and since you hadn't fought back you remained in the clear when the situation was reported to the administrators.  Jacques was not so fortunate.  One lucky shot did give you double vision for a while, though. (Endurance +3, Ingenuity +1, Marksmanship -2)
        *set Endurance +3
        *set Ingenuity +1
        *set Marksmanship -2
        *set symbol "&"
        *goto You_pass_out
    #Soiled yourself
        You walked right up to him, looked him square in the eye, and evacuated both your bladder and bowels.  As your waste products puddled at your feet and the stench reached your tormentor, his eyes widened and he mumbled an excuse to leave as quickly as possible.  He gave you a wide berth after that.  As did pretty much anyone else who heard this story.  You've definitely grown accustomed to eating alone. (Insanity +4, Influence -2)
        *set Insanity +4
        *set Influence -2
        *set symbol "%"
        *goto You_pass_out
        *label You_pass_out

You pass out of sight from your former nemesis and arrive outside a plain steel door emblazoned with scarlet lettering that elicits dread in every student: Capitaine de Chevalier Stefan Folson.  The Head Hedgehog himself.  You've been waiting to see if you'd be allowed to continue here, and now the final judgment is on the other side of that ominous door.
*choice
    #Burst through the door and insist that you have been given a raw deal.
        The grizzled officer shifts his bulk in the chair and rolls his eyes.  "Yes, Ms. Branford, we've had this dance before, you and I.  This time I believe you may not like the tune."
        *goto piercing_stare
    #Knock calmly and ask to enter.
        A gruff "Come in" is his response, and you enter to find the husky officer staring at you with an unsmiling, yet not unkind, expression.  His bloodshot green eyes meet yours.  "Some decorum at last, Initiate.  Pity it came too late."
        *goto piercing_stare
    #Try to work up some fake tears
        The burly, red-faced man somehow grows redder still at your weepy countenance.  "Compose yourself, Initiate Branford!  Decorum must be maintained, no matter how grim your fate."
        *goto piercing_stare
        *label piercing_stare

Your heart sinks as he clears his throat.  "Now then, the reason you were called here is that it is the end of another evaluation term.  You're quite the anomaly, Ms. Branford.  This is a three-year program. Our graduates go on to become Mantra-wielding operatives, our washouts join the regular forces.  You have teetered on the brink for…five years now.  The oldest cadet on the grounds by a full year.  Your academic scores are more than sufficient, 
        *if (symbol=")"
            gg
        *if (symbol="(")
            fart
        *if (symbol="*")
            poot
        *if (symbol="&")
            booger
        *if (symbol="%")
            peepee
1 Like

And does anyone else know about the ability to test specific scenes only in CSIDE without running the whole game? It’s only a minor inconvenience now in chapter 1, but in a couple chapters it’ll be a big honkin’ deal to run the whole game to test one thing that’s 30k words in.

Yes, there is! So if you open CSIDE’s console, which you can do by clicking the >_ sign under the text editor window, you can do all kinds of fun things. You can change variable values, make a new temp variable and play around with it (including using the Console like a variable calculator, if you’re using fairmath), check current variables’ values, and, useful for your current purposes, use both *goto_scene and *goto. Just be careful about *temp variables, if you use *goto_scene label, since that can skip over temp creation at the beginning of said scene. I use this feature a lot for play testing, especially since it’s easy to stick a label or two wherever I need them.

You have a missing parenthesis there, I think.

Here, the *label needs to be aligned with the left margin or you’ll be falling out of a choice (or all the text needs to be indented to be beneath the label). Same with the *if statements; either indent the text, or dedent the *ifs. And the previous *label also needs to be relocated to the left margin.

2 Likes

Wait, you show no indent at all from the choice to the text to the *goto and *label stuff. But if that was necessary why does CSIDE auto-indent? And why would the other choices I have set up that way work without issue?

And I am sorry, I know the issue is me, but I don’t understand the first paragraph you wrote at all.

Ah, it’s because I was quoting you and that doesn’t preserve the indentation. Sorry.

Here’s your code with the indentation adjusted:

As you idly wave at a couple of students heading in the opposite direction, you lock eyes with Jacques.  The rat-faced youth stares at you as he waits outside the medical dispensary, his expression neutral.  You can still remember how you dealt with his attempt at bullying when he had first arrived at the Academy.  You did so:
*choice
    #With my fists.
        While he was snickering with his toadies about your lack of skill, you walked right up and belted him in the stomach.  The week you spent on latrine duty was well worth the day he spent in the infirmary.  He demanded a fair fight shortly thereafter, and you promptly mopped the floor with him then as well. Sparring between students was encouraged in order to resolve conflicts in a nonlethal fashion, and you spent so much time training to make sure you could best any comer that your studies suffered a bit. (Strength +4, Intelligence -2)
        *set Strength +4
        *set Intelligence -2
        *set symbol ")"
        *goto You_pass_out
    #By hacking his terminal and changing the password.
        Even better, you extort 20 credits from him before you'll divulge what the new password is.  In the end you had set it as "Six silly servants sipped seven sangrias sitting at the seaside."  Tactile input disabled, so he could only access it vocally.  That was a fun couple of hours.  This and other such tricks provided no shortage of entertainment to your fellow cadets, although all your time spent in front of vid displays working your tech  magic didn't do your eyesight any favors. (Ingenuity +4, Marksmanship -2)
        *set Ingenuity +4
        *set Marksmanship -2
        *set symbol "("
        *goto You_pass_out
    #By spreading a rumor about his past.
        You're pretty sure there's no such thing as an amateur bear semen collector, but since when has the truth stopped a juicy bit of gossip?  Jacques became such a laughing-stock that he nearly dropped out of the program altogether.  Those in the know felt you were a bit of a weenie by not confronting him directly, though.  Your tongue has definitely been the most exercised part of your body. (Influence +4, Strength -2)
        *set Influence+4
        *set Strength-2
        *set symbol "*"
        *goto You_pass_out
    #Took a beating without blinking an eye
        When Jacques turned from verbal barbs to physical provocation, you stood tall and let him thrash you.  But for all his viciousness, the smaller cadet wasn't able to land many effective blows, and since you hadn't fought back you remained in the clear when the situation was reported to the administrators.  Jacques was not so fortunate.  One lucky shot did give you double vision for a while, though. (Endurance +3, Ingenuity +1, Marksmanship -2)
        *set Endurance +3
        *set Ingenuity +1
        *set Marksmanship -2
        *set symbol "&"
        *goto You_pass_out
    #Soiled yourself
        You walked right up to him, looked him square in the eye, and evacuated both your bladder and bowels.  As your waste products puddled at your feet and the stench reached your tormentor, his eyes widened and he mumbled an excuse to leave as quickly as possible.  He gave you a wide berth after that.  As did pretty much anyone else who heard this story.  You've definitely grown accustomed to eating alone. (Insanity +4, Influence -2)
        *set Insanity +4
        *set Influence -2
        *set symbol "%"
        *goto You_pass_out
*label You_pass_out
You pass out of sight from your former nemesis and arrive outside a plain steel door emblazoned with scarlet lettering that elicits dread in every student: Capitaine de Chevalier Stefan Folson.  The Head Hedgehog himself.  You've been waiting to see if you'd be allowed to continue here, and now the final judgment is on the other side of that ominous door.
*choice
    #Burst through the door and insist that you have been given a raw deal.
        The grizzled officer shifts his bulk in the chair and rolls his eyes.  "Yes, Ms. Branford, we've had this dance before, you and I.  This time I believe you may not like the tune."
        *goto piercing_stare
    #Knock calmly and ask to enter.
        A gruff "Come in" is his response, and you enter to find the husky officer staring at you with an unsmiling, yet not unkind, expression.  His bloodshot green eyes meet yours.  "Some decorum at last, Initiate.  Pity it came too late."
        *goto piercing_stare
    #Try to work up some fake tears
        The burly, red-faced man somehow grows redder still at your weepy countenance.  "Compose yourself, Initiate Branford!  Decorum must be maintained, no matter how grim your fate."
        *goto piercing_stare
*label piercing_stare
Your heart sinks as he clears his throat.  "Now then, the reason you were called here is that it is the end of another evaluation term.  You're quite the anomaly, Ms. Branford.  This is a three-year program. Our graduates go on to become Mantra-wielding operatives, our washouts join the regular forces.  You have teetered on the brink for…five years now.  The oldest cadet on the grounds by a full year.  Your academic scores are more than sufficient, 
*if (symbol=")"
    gg
*if (symbol="(")
    fart
*if (symbol="*")
    poot
*if (symbol="&")
    booger
*if (symbol="%")
    peepee

Also, if all your options are going to the same place, you can just use *fake_choice and save yourself the trouble of using the *gotos and *labels (*fake_choice has all options automatically come together once you’re back out of the choice body, at the initial indentation).

5 Likes

I’ll just give some 'lil hints on parts where the error might occured :wink:

Aaannndd… IDK why with those 3 last *ifs on the end, but I really want to go to the bathroom now. :confounded:

I guess, I eat too much hot sauce.

2 Likes

Heh, they’re just placeholders. I had a hunch I might have a problem here and didn’t feel like typing all the text that goes there until I had the commands right.

Let me try to ape what you two have put out here and see what happens.

1 Like

Okay, I have adjusted it but it still says these are all nonexistent variables. And it throws in the errors from other chapters even those chapters don’t report any problems with those areas themselves.

Sorry, which exactly are non-existent variables? Can you copy-paste your variable creation from your startup file?

1 Like

It’s the attempts setting the symbols it classifies as nonexistent variables. It will not let me copy the issues list, but it lists all the symbol sets as non-existent variables, and also the first one (the close parentheses) as an uncaught error.

*choice
    #Fiorella Branford, 23: a special forces cadet who possesses a mysterious power.
        *goto_scene prickly
    #Alexi Beaumont, 29; would-be smuggler, and owner of a modern rarity: a fully-functioning spaceship.
        *goto_scene contraband

This is the only issue I have from the startup file. However, it’s not a problem when making the choice. It just gets flagged as one after the game fails out over these non-existent symbols.

Have you tried replacing the symbols with ‘asterisk’, ‘parenthesis opening’, ‘parenthesis closing’, and so forth?

Also, could you perhaps screenshot the issues list?

1 Like