Two New Hosted Games: “Somme Trench” and “Silent Gear”

Which is the way the old Choose Your Own Adventure books tended to work. And the Fighting Fantasy ones added interactive fights.

What ChoiceScript really allows that you couldn’t do on paper is delayed branching, and maybe that’s what the sequel to Silent Gear can use more of…

2 Likes

Somme Trench is great.

Historical settings are hard, because accuracy and authenticity are very important. Writing about something like WW1, however, presents the additional challenge of portraying the events & people concerned with the appropriate degree of respect.

The author not only managed to do those things, but also made the game fun. (In a harrowing and sobering way.) Considering the context, that’s laudable.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @WUBWUBWUB.

You’re totally right about having to find that proper balance. Somme Trench is very much an anti-war game, both in ways big and small. In the early drafts, the stock ending for whenever you died finished with something along the lines of “your pointless death was soon forgotten by history.” Fortunately I realized that that wasn’t a very nice thing to say about human beings who largely lost their lives because their country told them to go and get killed, and whose relations are still alive today.

3 Likes

I found a bug in Somme Trench; I wasn’t accepted as a runner, but now the story is acting like I was. xD

thanks for enjoying my game guys, and thank you all for the improvement advices, yes i agree i wrote silent gear a bit linear as its my first game so i didnt want to get too complicated and overwhelm myself, i was already overwhelmed a bit in creating the minigames, boss battle systems and the timer counter on various sections. but in regarding to joining selene, its a different outcome depending on if catherine survives or not :wink: i’m assuming you rage rebooted because you got the bad ending (without spoiling it)

Thanks Sam - so you volunteered as a runner but got rejected and sent back to the ranks, right? Or did you get accepted but then kicked out because you didn’t pass the run-to-the-target test? I’m just trying to zero in on where the problem might be.

I tried out to be a runner but I was rejected because I didn’t pass the run-to-target-test. Then after that, and especially during the first failed attack (where I’m now hiding in a shell hole) it keeps making mention of me being a runner and I was given orders to deliver a message for Group A (I think?) to continue the attack even after being pretty much defeated,

Cool, thanks, that helps alot. Sorry I ruined World War I for you.

Hehe xD that’s okay. I can just replay it again after the update and ACTUALLY fail that time. xD

Spoiler: nobody wins.

3 Likes

Somme Trench now has a save/bookmark feature! If you’re killed in action, the game will let you return to the beginning of the chapter in which you died.

Thanks to @CJW for showing me the coding and to @jasonstevanhill for getting it out so quickly.

Several users had asked about something like this so I’m glad to have been able to respond. Go update your game, or get it for the first time, and try it out!

2 Likes

And now with some sniper scenes!

3 Likes