Turn off the NEXT button in the choicescript_stats

When you leave choicescript_stats, it puts up a NEXT button. Since I have an option to move to different stat screens and one to return to the game, I don’t want the NEXT button. If I did, I’d use a *page_break

Any idea how to turn it off?

It depends on the method you’ve used to make said multiple stat screens, also your version of choicescript.

Is the restart game button above the main screen?

No, the restart button is right above that pesky NEXT button. This restart/next section occurs when you leave choicescript.stats, regardless of what you do within choicescript_stats.

Sounds somewhat borked, I reccommend upgrading to the latest version of choicescript and seeing if that ‘fixes’ any of your problems.

I think I have the most recent. It’s the same as what Jason is running the Beta on. Where does it give the version? When did the latest come out?

You can download it on that page via the .zip button.

The restart game button is next to the show stats button on recent versions.

All up to date. Nope, still there.

99% of the time it’s a good thing. You list your stats, it *finish’s back to the current scene and throws up a NEXT screen so you can read the stats you just showed.

Problem is, I don’t want that NEXT. I have three screens of stats and I want to move between them. This means that when I select Return to Game, instead of the other stat pages, it still gives you the NEXT screen. This is annoying, because there’s nothing to read.

You might talk to @AlexCosarca, he has several stat buttons in his game, and you can switch between them.

He’s doing Red Moon. Is there a link to the game somewhere so I can see it?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95587456/web/mygame/index.html

Pretty. Unfortunately, he rewrote choicescript to do this, I think. This would cause big problems with app compatibility, won’t it?

I’m honestly not sure, as I’m still just learning this stuff myself. You might also check out the thread http://www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/969/multiple-stat-screens-the-latest-version-of-choicescript/

I believe this only requires you to copy and paste the needed code and rename as needed.

Jason mentioned that my game, Life of a Wizard, encouraged some of the rewrite around the stat page. He said they were planning it anyway, but that the way I used it encouraged them to get on with it. :slight_smile:

Interesting, so these are unsupported edits to Choicescript. Very nice, by the way.

I really want to stay away from that, since my game is on the road to becoming an app. I don’t want to use things that aren’t compatible with their system.

I think that the answer is coming clear, it’s in language and can’t come out without a mod.

That would seem to be the case, which seems a shortcoming of Choicescript to me. More and more people are expressing an interest in using more than one stat screen for various uses. They should add this ability to the next iteration of Choicescript, I think.

By the way, I didn’t realize you made Life of a Wizard. Great game.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

So, you see my problem. I could allow them to jump between the three, except that when it does the Return to Game, it will seem to have a double NEXT prompt.

Maybe it’ll be okay to just give one big stats page and avoid the issue entirely.

Out of curiosity, what are the stat screens that you’re wanting to separate?

Magic, People and Inventory. They’re already separate, I was interested in offering an option to go between them, but I don’t want the irritating double Next when they leave. So, if I can put all 3 into one big screen, then the problem would be avoided.

Oh yes, by all means if you want me to provide you with an interpreter/core code edit - I can do that, but I do tend to assume people intend to publish their apps with CoG and I know they don’t like to support edited code (for fair reasons).

I’m not even sure they support multiple stats screens to be entirely honest.

Inside scene.js, find the prototype.finish function and remove/comment out the following lines (514-522):

if (this.name == "choicescript_stats" && this.originalScene) {
      printButton(buttonName || "Next", main, false, 
        function() { 
          window.stats.scene = self.originalScene;
          clearScreen(loadAndRestoreGame);
        }
      );
      return;
    }

That - should - do the trick, assuming you’re using the guide @fantom linked to make your extra stats pages.

There she be. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I wonder how strict they are about removing such a small specific part when publishing apps.

The new version has a convenient Back to Game button of its own, eliminating the need for a choice based Back to Game which would have the annoying NEXT button. My Beta needs an update, but this solves my problem! :slight_smile: