Time of Genius (WIP Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Romance)

Things should be fixed - except I’m not positive I know which bit you mean when you say that it’s showing two versions of what happened in class. Which class? What part?

1 Like

In Sebastian’s class, I didn’t make fun of him and it’s showing me this:

And it’s also showing me this:

1 Like

Me think game pretty cool.

Also

this supposed to be here?

Also got an error trying to see stats after some point. This was already report3d i think?

:fox_face:

Hey I really like what you have so far, but i have got a few bugs here.

Summary

Lexi cocks a brow. “Seb - you okay? This is the son_daughter of Dr. Naven last_name.

If Sebastian had looked scandalized before, he looks horrified now. “This child is worse than you !”

“Aren’t you a little bit above name calling, Professor ?”

“Of course I’m not!” he snaps, throwing down a wrench. His sleeves are rolled up and his tie is askew. " This is your new roommate?"

Lexi nods. “Yup.”

“The one you want to work on your father’s machine?” he asks, incredulous.

“That’s right.”

Sebastian crosses his arms and walks toward the other end of the room.

“I recognize you,” says Sebastian, crossing his arms. “You were in my morning class.”

Lexi nods fervently. "That he_she was, Seb. And - get this - he_she’s Dr. Naven last_name’s son_daughter!"

Sebastian furrows his brow, clearly skeptical. “I would have thought it hard for the spawn of Dr. last_name to evade my attention. Maybe he_she takes more after his_her father.

Lexi slugs him in the shoulder. “Just because he_she’s not a blatant know-it-all like you…

I also got an error code after talking to Lexi and Sebastin

chapter_One line 1537:
invalid expression at char 18,
expected OPERATOR, was: STRING
[“true”]

Interesting start, so far — I like the premise of playing as a character guided by a mysterious song.

Some Feedback:

1.) I’m not getting a clear sense of setting. Are we in the future? The present? Are we on Earth? Obviously, I don’t expect to know everything right away, but being in the dark about the basics means I’m not sure how to set my expectations or role-play the character.

2.) This passage is weird for me.

Finally, there’s one student left; a young, shy, goth girl, standing awkwardly with her hands in her pockets. “Can’t find a team, Gina?” Bishop says with mirth. “Team with me.” He guides her toward his desk, hand high on her back, almost on her neck.

Is Bishop supposed to be kinda creepy? Because that’s the impression I’m getting, and I’m not sure that’s what you intended?

3.) I feel like it might be better to have the Player Info stats appear as soon as you open the stats screen, instead of having them behind a choice. Players are going to check their stats a lot and having to go through an extra menu each time could get annoying.

4.) The stats feel a little generic. There’s nothing wrong with them, but they could work in any game. What kind of skills, goals, and dilemmas are unique and relevant to the story you’re creating? I’d love to see those as stats. :slight_smile:

5.) If you’re going for broad appeal, you might consider including a non-binary option for the player.

4 Likes

All these variable’s showing through are due to me typing too fast and the program automatically writing it “he_she” as I type instead of what it wants to see: “${he_she}”. I’ve corrected the ones reported and am on the hunt for more.

The issue was that I was treating my booleans like strings. Instead of *set bothered_seb true, I was writing *set bothered_seb “true”. The program was having trouble with that. But, I’ve fixed this section and am going to fix any other sections with this issue.

1. I was concerned that putting “Massachusetts, USA, Earth” at the beginning would give it too much of a dull sci-fi feel. Any idea on how I could painlessly establish that we’re on Earth? As far as the timeline, I suppose I should put a particular date. I was going for very near future.

2. Yes, he is meant to come off creepy. Maybe it was too heavy handed?

3. I can certainly change that and put it all on one page.

4. I’ll see about that.

5. Any tips for that? Previously, I was trying to implement a ‘they_them’ option but I was finding it hard at certain points to make everything sound right without a thousand different variables. I obviously don’t want to put anyone off and do want broad appeal.

2 Likes

I don’t know how many variables you’re using, but I’ve found that you really only need three pronouns most of the time: they/them/their. I use a numeric variable for gender (1 = male, 2 = female, 3 = non-binary) and one for plurality (used with multireplace to solve plurality agreements - they are/she is, for example).

2 Likes

I can’t get beyond the part were we overhear Lexi and Seb. Seb is always anoyed -So annoyed he crashes the window.

1 Like

“Oh wow, you’re real big and bad now, Seb,” Lexi mocks. “Not only are you boring your students and annoying me, you’re crashing player’s window.”

Sorry about that. It should be fixed, assuming you got an invalid indent error. What error did you get?

2 Likes

tbh I can’t remember but I’m going to check

Seb is still mad :c
He says “chapter_One line 1574: Non-existent variable ‘annoyed_seb’”

Damn it, Seb! :stuck_out_tongue: It should be fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

i would recomend running your game through quicktest using cside or equivilent to pick up on bugs

4 Likes

After the lab scene i get this error message when i try to open my stats. But i like the concept so far and am interested to see where this goes.

1 Like

I can’t get past the science experiment .it had an error message. And I tried looking at my stats on the part and an error popped up

I like the premise! Adore scientific setting and mum is my favourite character already.
Though that a professor and a roommate are very young for their positions rubs me the wrong way a tiny bit. Seems like it was just a way to reduce the age gap. Hope there will be more story to that.

Also, got errors.

This came up when trying to look at stats before making “mess with Throne” choice

I can’t get past the seb and lexi talking in the room scene

I can’t go further at the part when the mc overhears the conversation between Lexi and profesor Thorne.