The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (Discussion) FAQ Located on Post 2

Well, concern for a friend could be it, same as UB commenting? And it’s only really suspicious in the context of the book–if I cut my hand open and a coworker was like “hey buddy what happened” my first thought wouldn’t necessarily be accusations of vampirism. It might just be that he’s the most medically minded person in the station so it makes the most sense for him to notice and help out–in the real world it really wouldn’t be call to alarm but given that it’s a story that was constructed intentionally, I think there’s reason to side-eye Verda, or at least for @Mewsly to get some bragging rights if it turns out he really is supernatural

5 Likes

Well in most instances he’s your friend. Of course he’d be worried. Also he’s doctorish which could make him more observant when it comes to wounds.
Gack, I’ve been beaten.

2 Likes

Maybe verda is vegetarian supernatural

It’s not so much that it’s odd he notices it but combinded with UB’s reaction and the fact that Tina doesn’t comment on it at all, and Tina seems to be even closer to the MC than Verda is.

Edit: Yo, and there is the fact that he was hesitant to tell us about the blood at first! When he calls us at the warehouse!

3 Likes

In that case, I’d expect him to report that to UB and not the detective–he can do his job by reporting the info to somebody in charge of the case and not risk revealing the supernatural. Besides, I get the feeling the Agency wouldn’t be too happy with a supernatural revealing the whole hidden world without very good reason. Even after N shows the picture of the killer to the detective, they don’t break their orders not to reveal their true nature. And UB is jumpy about the blood sample. If Verda was a supernatural, I’m sure they’d know and would have explained enough of the situation to that he’d keep the blood stuff on the DL.

Then again, UB doesn’t seem to be very good at discussing what can and cannot be shared with the detective.

True, but I thought the detective just went straight to Verda after they got the results. He comments on it because the detective walks into his office with an open wound and initially no explanation, or at least that’s how I read it. Tina might have commented “off-screen” so that the detective didn’t have to explain their injury three times.

There is that… Huh.

5 Likes

I agree.

I took that as the results were so weird he didn’t even know where to start on that. Let’s face it. the results prompted more questions that anything else, and Verda is supposed to be the one with those type of answers.

9 Likes

Yo, and there is the fact that he was hesitant to tell us about the blood at first! When he calls us at the warehouse!

Could just be that he didn’t really have any answers.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I thought to but if Verda was a Supernatural then that could explain his hesitation instead. It was always a weird moment for me, honestly, but if he was… it makes sense to me.

True, but if Verda is just a “normal” Supernatural maybe he didn’t realize the Agency was involved in the case. And when he did maybe he assumed the MC was allowed to know somethings…

3 Likes

I agree with this. It never did crossed my mind that there’s nothing suspicious about this situation. XD

If I am suppose to be expert in the human body and found something odd, I would hesitate to give my opinion since most people would expect that I would know everything about the human body.

3 Likes

Here, think of it this way:

If Verda wasn’t a part of the Agency like UB is (which according to Sera there are Supernaturals who just live normal lives) then he wouldn’t really know that this victim was the lastest of a crazy vampire that the Agency is hunting down. This murder is the MC’s case, and he works with the MC so they deserve to know about the odd things in the case. Verda seems to really care about his job.

Also this part bothers me..

I just wanna say. Real smooth, A, telling a cop about this kinda stuff. Not suspicious at all.

So, we know about the demon team that was there before UB arrived. I’m assuming they cleaned up any of the murders that took place that the police “didn’t need to deal with.” Maybe Verda assumed that because this murder actually got to the police that the team assigned to Wayhaven didn’t think it was worth covering up (unless Verda knew they were killed by Murphy, which I doubt if they’re not part of the Agency).

6 Likes

I’m confused. :confused: He doesn’t know it’s a vampire attack. All he’s gathered is that someone is trying to do something funky with blood transfusions. I don’t see how this supports Verda being supernatural.

I would think if he was, that he would have contacted the Agency and delayed telling the detective anything until he got the ok from the Agency just to make sure.

edit: fixed funky quoting

8 Likes

I think that if you are a Supernatural living as a normal human, they have to be registered at the Agency so any supernatural related incidents should be reported to the Agency.

I don’t think the governement would allow supernaturals to mingle with humans without monitoring their activities.

1 Like

Well I’m trying to say why I think he would tell the MC over the Agency if he was a Supernatural, and if he didn’t think it was an Agency issue then he would go to the MC since it’s their case.

I mean I could very well just be totally wrong. It just made sense to me.

But if he didn’t know it was an Agency related issue then he would go to the MC first. Then if he figured out it was later, well, he can’t really just be like “oh, sorry, Detective, the body just vanished, let’s just forget about this whole thing, huh?”

I mean, the cats already out of the bag. The murder is a big deal around town. Even if he did call the Agency he can’t actively work against the Detective without drawing suspicion. And he seems to really care about this case and the MC so I don’t think he would anyway…

If he is a Supernatural with their expertise being human body, I wouldn’t get pass him to be expert in the physiology of the Supernatural as well? So there is a possibilty that they will recognize the blood type for it. XD Verda is a science person afterall.

True, true… Hmmm…

Well… just because there’s vampire blood in them doesn’t mean it HAD to have been done by a vampire. It could’ve easily been done by some crazy people (like the cult he mentions, which I’m assuming were actual vampires but I digress) wanting go try to make someone a vampire but not knowing how?

Or maybe he does realize it’s vampire blood but, I mean, he still has to do his job to keep the MC from being suspicious. Maybe he called the Agency and they told him “we’re sending a team, just don’t cause any suspicion till they get there.” That might be why he’s way chiller about UB than Tina and everyone else is? (I think if you go see him with N at the beginning he says they’re good looking but besides that)

I don’t know. I’m just thinking out of the NPCs we know Verda is the one I would guess is a Supernatural.

2 Likes

You fools!

How have none of you considered that Verda’s husband could be the supernatural???

18 Likes

:scream:

Oh my god you’re right!

2 Likes

This could be plausible! XD

Verda does give the air of being one, noh? :grin:

1 Like

But while we’re pulling suspects on who could be supernatural…

i betcha that flock of pigeons that spooks you in the warehouse were actually a gaggle of shapeshifters lmao

I very much doubt it would be any of the Wayhaven residents we’ve met in Book One. Stories where there’s a secret, fantastic other world just beyond our own require some characters to be normal humans so that we can contrast the two worlds.

We need normal people like Tina and Douglas and Verda to provide a baseline for normalcy, so that the supernatural aspects can stand out more fully. Their normalcy can be something that our Detective can envy and angst over, or it can provide a contrast to a Detective who relishes the idea of the supernatural. But in order to provide those functions, they must be fully human, and probably shouldn’t even be married or dating a supernatural–at least that they’re aware of.

19 Likes

How exactly would I go about reading the game code if I own the steam version? Also thanks for the help.