The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

I recognize that for the mc, as a male royal, it would probably be expected that he knows how to handle himself but why does it need to be fencing though?
If my character needs to learn how to handle a weapon I’d prefer a bow, or if the setting is already less medieval than I had assumed, a pair of pistols.

As for the reason, in a medieval setting, I think this Sebastian Vael quote sums it up nicely “My grandfather said the bow is the wise man’s weapon. You can defend your city without opening its gates.

As always, if magic is an option it wouldn’t hurt to dabble a bit in that as well.

Feeling a bit bloodthirsty, are we? While I admit I don’t like our mc’s dad much, I’m at least going to give the brothers and sisters a chance.

Besides being an effective absolute monarch is bloody hard work and not much fun at all.

5 Likes

At least from the Anglo-Saxon and English/British Isle traditions, the noble and royal classes are expected to learn the art of war which includes blades and armor. The Yeoman or peasant classes were expected to learn the bow for hunting and as levy requirements.

Going off of what @Fawkes has disclosed so far, your father is sticking to the bare traditions (which are based on the above customs); I doubt he’d allow any deviance.

1 Like

Okay, now I finally get it… Christ on a stick that whole fourth son thing really, really threw me off. I got it, after so many replies from you wonderful people. Anyway, my character values Power and Knowledge. LOOK MA YOUR SON IS VERY AMBITIOUS AND ALREADY HATES PEOPLE. But yeah i really wanna make my mother happy…

Also the king had 3 wives. The first one died, then he married a second which gave him those 6 kiddos then she died and married our mother. I mean i guess its reasonable why he’s a grumpy bastard, he got his heart broken twice and our mother seduced him.

Somethings wrong with me, I really want to bang Sister Elesyth like i don’t picture her as an old woman in her 70s, i picture her as a woman in her 20s… That and i really like older women and i think my character has some weird issues involving being loved and taken care of… Abandonment issues? Weird Semi Oedipus complex?

I HAVE NO IDEA.

2 Likes

I doubt he really cares what we do though, remember we’re his little mistake already. We can probably arrange to be taught the bow fairly easily, should we want to.
If it’s full on medieval with all the plate armour and tournaments thrown in then, as far as traditional knightly combat goes, expect my character to be an extremely disinterested student, gay he may be, but a would be Loras Tyrell he’s not.

4 Likes

I feel like now that we have our own rooms we might like see all the siblings more I wonder of the two you were friends with if they’ll treat you like crap probably will but maybe they’ll feel bad about it.

2 Likes

I hope I could choose have a terrible relationship with my brothers because That’s how I portrait my character childhood. She would be an angry machiavelian princess who would make mom a Mari poppings nanny. My goal cause a nobility rebellion against daddy and poisoning and or assassin all my brothers … If not possible Marry a foreign kingdom and invade daddy’s territory.

Also I missed more detailed information about stats.

5 Likes

[quote=“idonotlikeusernames, post:81, topic:15629”]
why does it need to be fencing though?[/quote]
Yeah, why not pillow fighting?

Oh. :neutral_face:

I would like the option to train in some form of martial art too. Sword and bow sounds like good ‘royal’ options. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

On the other hand if you combine martial arts with the bow you won’t even need a sword to begin with.
The bow as a primary and martial arts as the backup weapon does sound like a good combination any swords can just be ornaments on my character’s belt. Not actually needing to use them for combat also means we can get impractically fancy swords to serve as said ornaments.

1 Like

Sounds like a good way to die when you face an armored foe charging at you.

The way to face any armoured foe charging at you, like a mad bull, imho, is to dodge and get the hell out of the way. You’d have to be borderline suicidal, or buy into the notions of chivalry, I suppose, to do anything else.

But if my character must have training in a melee weapon then I suppose the spear will do.

1 Like

Well, bow is a martial art, as it any combat orientated skill, that’s what I was referring to, any way. :blush:

1 Like

Wow…that’s quite the complicated childhood. I can’t wait to learn about all the political machinations that are clearly at play in the story :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this is an amazing game and I’m already hooked up! :heart_eyes:
Character driven games are my favorites, since they are focused more in the story, the characters and the relationships and this game is already being one of my favorites. :blush:
Can’t wait for more! :smile:

1 Like

I guess it depends on the culture of the aristocracy in this case. A bow may be a perfectly legitimate weapon for a young noble to learn, but it is a bit impractical to carry at all times. I always thought of fencing for aristocrats to be something like target shooting with a pistol for southerners. It has both practical and recreational applications. If dueling is permitted in this society then fencing, or target shooting if pistols are a thing, is a damn near necessity…

4 Likes

Unless those duels absolutely have to be fought with swords and you can’t have a second, or champion fight them for you, then I agree. Otherwise my character would still prefer the bow and spear, or bow and kung-fu (or something like it) combinations (replace bow with pistol and/or rifle, if the technology of this gameworld has already advanced that far, of course), if at all possible.
With a possible side order of magic (though we’ve yet to see any practical magic used by humans in this world).

1 Like

That would be interesting. We just don’t have a tradition of dueling with bows and spears that I know of.

Really learning the sword is about self-defense I would think. In the off chance someone tries to rob or assassinate you you’d have a chance if you were armed with a sword and knew how to use it. I think the problem with blackpowder pistols for nobles as self-defense weapons were one they were messy, two they were bulky if you counted extra cartridges you’d have to carry, and three you can only kill one person a minute or so if you were really good.

1 Like

The downside of a sword small enough to be carried at all times for self defense is that it still gives you limited reach and limited options for all those years of training. If self defense is the main concern, why not just hone the mc’s body to be a weapon, that gives you more options, at least.

The larger swords are mainly true weapons of war, and when it comes to actual warfare, like I said, my character would prefer other weapons that have a bit more reach.

Don’t know about the bow, but I take my ques for dueling with the spear from GRRM’s example of prince Oberyn, of how such a thing can be perfectly acceptable in a fantasy culture.
Like you said it all depends upon the culture and the rules of dueling, but if they don’t absolutely mandate the use of swords then my character’s choice of weapon could just be unconventional and a bit eccentric.

1 Like

I think we may be ignoring the more important consideration in all this for any true royal: which is more fashionable?

3 Likes