The Passenger is OUT!

I love the unique concept here, and what you’ve done with it so far. Roach is definitely my favourite character, though I did have a thought - wouldn’t it be hilarious if instead of a fellow eldritch being, they turned out to be an ordinary human who’s just really good at blagging and guessing what the MC wants to hear?

…Not that I think that’s actually the case, I’m just picturing the MC’s absolute shock if it was.

40 Likes

I wish I could like a comment more than once…

7 Likes

This, the PC being a lovecraftian entity in human form, reminds me of the series by John C Wright Chronicles of Chaos, in which there’s a private school with only five students.

They are all titans taken as hostages by the Greek gods to make sure the war is over.

Each of the children comes from a different tribe, so they have different abilities.

One, Victor, is the clockwork god of a clockwork universe.

Bur the main character, the viewpoint character, is a fourth dimensional girl.

As in she’s a lovecraftian Many Angled One, for whom our 3d reality is basically flatland.

Her friends assure her that when she unfolds into her fourth dimensional form that she’s still aesthetically pleasing though.

Although since she wasn’t friends with any humans perhaps they were immune to SAN loss. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I just love being a grumpy monster in the body of a grumpy human, being a grump to everyone while still getting attached to being a human, having a secret soft spot for his “family” and learning that he can rely on others. Man, so many opportunities!

10/10 I really like this game.

13 Likes

I’m enjoying the opposite play style myself.

Popular, and charming, and friendly, by cynically saying the right things the right way as something ancient and calculating looks out from behind those eyes.

I envision my character numbering his facial expressions in his head.

Like say smile number 3 for polite friendly greeting, or smile number 7 for showing sexual interest in a non threatening way.

24 Likes

I had a thought.

Shouldn’t swimming be the MC’s sport of choice?

It comes across as something that flies around, and swimming and flying are connected trope wise, with the like of “If it swims it flies,” or with “Space is an ocean.”

And of course, Lovecraft was afraid of fish.

So it just seems right to me that the MC might prefer swimming- floating weightlessly in a three dimensional world, like they used to be able to move.

Of course running is more practical, not terribly likely that the Hunter is going to attack the MC during a bubble bath or some hot tubbing…

14 Likes

In all truthfulness I just needed to raise stats, so I sort of pick the first thing that came to mind.

Although, that reference is so subtle I might go for it.

Don’t give my readers ideas, stsword :laughing:

8 Likes

:eyes:
o9rIpBfh_400x400

12 Likes

Man… dis is gooood stuff :astonished::scream:
Seriously, loving it so far

2 Likes

Very much enjoying the game so far. Wish Livvy was an RO but i understand she can’t for obvious reasons. Look forward to buying it :alien::+1:

2 Likes

This. shit. is. :fire: point blank, fuckin period.

This is my favorite WiP I’ve read in months. Love the setting choice (the nostalgia of it all!), the characters, the premise, and though there is some awkward English here and there, your writing style is excellent. The description of the primal fear the MC experiences is just… :sob: so good

I was SO bummed when the demo ended. I couldn’t put my phone down during my first play thru even tho it was 5am. I honestly just kept wishing I could travel to the point in time when this is complete and published lol. I’ll be replaying it again and coming back to leave feedback. Thank you for writing this super cool take on Lovecraftian horror!

14 Likes

You and me both.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. And thanks to everyone else that’s following the story :wink:

Next chapter is coming slow because summer is trying to kill me and life is eating up all my free time, but rest assured I’ve been working on ch3.

18 Likes

A little bug here :beetle:

bug

1 Like

I updated the txt files. If it keeps happening try starting from scratch and deleting your internet cache.

6 Likes

This is so awesome! And I just remembered what’s the second reason beside the really short demos why I rarely read WiPs. If it’s too good then it’s disappointing to think about how much we will have to wait till it gets released as a full game…
But enough of the selfish whining. I wish you good luck and keep up the good work. This one’ll definitely be worth the wait.

1 Like

Haha thanks :heart:

Things’ve been less hectic lately, so I’m aiming to have CH3 up in about a month or so. That branching at the end of CH2, tho :sweat_smile:

22 Likes

Small sneak peek for you because why not. Hope you’re enjoying your saturday :grinning:

Jonny's history lesson

“See that?” he says pointing at a picture of a large balancing rock. “It used to be a tourist attraction back in the forties. People would come to have their picture taken right next to it. Shattered like a million bottles under it, too,” he turns to face you. “It finally fell off the hill one day, came rolling down on a bunch of picnickers and killed about two or three people. They say it got one Wile E. Coyote style.” He looks at the picture again. “One moment you’re eating pickles minding your own business, next you’re a smudge of gore on the grass. The cycle of life; am I right, Newman?”

39 Likes

Last time I do this branching nonsense at the end of a chapter…

Hey everyone, nice day for updating.

I didn’t test CH3 throughfully, so you might find wonky and/or repeated text. If you do, please let me know. I’m also interested in the flow; tell me if it feels weird and point me out which parts. Also, if there’re parts of the text that read something like:

“No tv and no beer make Homer something something.”

“Don’t mind if I do!”

That’s because I screwed up the variable, so tell me if you find characters speaking to themselves.

I recommend starting over since I’ve reuploaded the txt files—I always do.

I think that’s it. Thanks and enjoy! :wink:

42 Likes

ah!!! and the timing is excellent, I’m about to get off work early! I’ve been anticipating an update to this so hard :sob::sob: will definitely be back in a few hours with feedback. thank you for your hard work :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Grrrr, I’m so busy, but I will play this chapter or die trying!

1 Like