The One Chosen (WIP; updated 16/04/2024)

Strength: 22
Intelligence: 34
Charisma: 2
Total: 58 (New save.)

Hopeful: 37
Mundane: 53
Heroic: 46
Lawful: 30

Ædmund: 46
Charlie: 50
Dahlia: 62
Helena: 64
Kevin: 63
Max: 53
Teri: 65
Xiulan: 61
Artie: 50
Professor Karline: 41
Ædmund bonus stat: 1

1 Like

Please report these values to the writer:
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 40
Charisma: 16

Hopeful: 54
Mundane: 40
Heroic: 52
Lawful: 66

Ædmund: 72
Charlie: 52
Dahlia: 52
Helena: 60
Kevin: 58
Max: 56
Teri: 62
Xiulan: 56
Artie: 54
Professor Karline: 65
Ædmund bonus stat: 3
As asked for.

1 Like

So I played the game again, at a decent hour this time, and I gotta say I like how its written. Its very easy to read and follow along. Not to complicated, though I figure that won’t last the more we learn magic wise…and oh boy the magic!!! I like the different branches and how they’ve been separated. Its very creative.

My only problem is how sad the mc’s life has been. An unwanted child that doesn’t really have anything but past trauma. Of course how bitter/accepting they are depends on the player but it makes me wonder. I have a theory about what they could be but :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Also what happens if you choose to leave? Do they just wipe your n my emory and leave you on the streets to die?

1 Like

I’m almost afraid to pick that option. So I’m not sure but that guy hates your guts and u out of picture

3 Likes

You can’t. Even if you choose to leave, the mc will claim to want to stay against their own internal wishes. It’s like something hijacks them.

1 Like

Yeah, I was trying to go for the Roald Dahl style over-the-top bad backstory, but I think I made it too real… :sweat_smile:

Yeah; I was stuck between letting the player leave (and thus get an early game over) or forcing people to choose the way that made the story work… :sweat_smile: So I opted for mind control as the third option. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I love it. It adds an extra layer of mystery to what’s going on. And with the other mind control that’s seen in the book, it fits with the narrative. Not like a deus ex machina.

5 Likes

I’m one who used to like the harshness elements, only I never thought Roald Dahl but homeless foster/street kid with a touch of realism. I liked that actually and for an actually homeless/foster/street kid who has been in the “system” all of their lives the mc was still a relatively mild example.
Even if you have toned it down since I am keeping the original background as headcanon, including my mc’s smoking vice, which neatly explains why he almost always carries a lighter around.

Although, I suppose, he is just about a good enough mage to do without the lighter, but he’d still keep it out of force of habit. :sweat_smile:

As long as we get to do something about it sometime it can work.
And now I suspect Alder, all the mind-control scenes only really happen after Alder, so are we Alder/the Elves mole in the magical community now? :worried:

4 Likes

Strength: 16
Intelligence: 46
Charisma: 2
Total: 64 (Old save.)
ERROR: stat mismatch in Chapter 16.

Hopeful: 55
Heroic: 50
Lawful: 63

Ædmund: 66
Charlie: 38
Helena: 56
Kevin: 52
Max: 63
Teri: 54
Xiulan: 58
Artie: 52
Professor Karline: 62
Ædmund bonus stat: 2

3 Likes

Strength: 14
Intelligence: 34
Charisma: 10

Hopeful: 50
Mundane: 47
Heroic: 54
Lawful: 55

Ædmund: 67
Charles: 46
Helena: 56
Kevin: 56
Max: 66
Teri: 58
Xiulan: 56
Artie: 52
Professor Karline: 58
Ædmund bonus stat: 1

1 Like

I just got done with the demo!

The One Chosen
by Tom Rayner

Please report these values to the writer:
Strength: 16
Intelligence: 22
Charisma: 20

Hopeful: 56
Heroic: 48
Lawful: 39

Ædmund: 58
Charlie: 50
Dahlia: 58
Helena: 62
Kevin: 60
Max: 56
Teri: 62
Xiulan: 72
Artie: 54
Professor Karline: 56
Ædmund bonus stat: 4
Play again.

I am disappointed I did not receive a valentine from the demon lord. After all, I sent him(?) one!

2 Likes

and another.

1 Like

Can we just talk about how man this world and it’s characters are making it too eazy of a choice of the mc to just let the world die or help the dark lord First they kidnap you then force you to lay your life for a world that hasn’t been kind to your nor care about and the moment your not the chosen one you really see how they feel and this part I’ll admit makes me hate Edmund and wish for his demise was when you find out your not the chosen one and if you pick the option to leave Edmund mind controls you to say you want to stay what makes it hurt more is if your mc wanted to leave from the jump I’ll admit I’d there’s a side with the dark lord ending I gotta choose it cause there making it too eazy Edmund is on my hit list and man for my mc who just wanted to escape this life and dip man nobody better not be surprised if they turn heel

2 Likes

Aedmund wasn’t there when that happened? :confused: His sibling, Aethelgard, was, but Aedmund’s never even mentioned in the scene. :confused: If the text’s not clear about this, please let me know so I can fix it… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wait if that’s the case who mind controls you to say yes you’ll stay in the court scene I thought it was Edmund cause afterwards there’s a option that was like you mind controlled me I’ll never forgive you but maybe that was for the first time they met and not in the court scene :sweat_smile: there’s one thing that kinda interested me in a court like scenario mind control magic can be used on the low key? because it seems like it And complusion/mind control seems so easy to use unless there’s necklaces or something that prevents that cause bruh I’ll be real if I was in this first thing i would learn is complusion/mind control magic cause it seems so Op to use :joy: and it’s hard to resist if impossible

1 Like

Okay, so, Aedmund never mind controls you at all; Aethelgard can, if you refuse to go with them at the start, and they will apologise for that afterwards. And yes, when you meet Aethelgard at the court scene, you can say you haven’t forgiven them (and won’t).

As for mind control itself, first of all, it’s illegal (except in very specific circumstances, like when Aethelgard can use it on you at the start) so anyone who’s any good at it will probably have learned how to do it surreptitiously… :sweat_smile: Secondly, it is a very situational spell, and that court room (a very charged scene involving many powerful mages, almost half of whom wanted you to stay, if just out of spite) was a very good situation to use it in. And to compound that, you have a very low level of Personal magic, and you’d had almost no training in Social magic, so your defences would have still been very low. Don’t worry, though, you’ll certainly be learning better mind control defences in later years.

(As for who actually mind controls you in the court scene, you don’t know that yet.)

As an aside, are other people getting confused between Aedmund and Aethelgard? :sweat_smile: I had thought it was just a silly way to name a pair of siblings, but if people are thinking they’re the same person, I might have to rethink stuff about them… :sweat:

EDIT: Okay, looking through the code, I see that part of the problem may be that I have the MC call out Aethelgard for their mind control directly after the MC was compelled to remain… :thinking: It was supposed to be talking about the first time, but given that it’s literally the next choice after the court room mind control, I can see where the confusion stems from… :sweat_smile: I don’t really know what I can do about this either, given that the MC doesn’t actually realise they’ve been mind controlled yet, and Aethelgard doesn’t know the MC was mind controlled (or if they do, they wouldn’t admit to it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) so would assume the MC was talking about the first time, too.

2 Likes

But… why is that option available even if you came willingly at the start then, or are you mind controlled there anyway and agreeing to come is just an illusion?

1 Like

It should only be visible if you did get mind controlled at the start… :confused: If anybody can get that option after coming willingly, that’s a bug… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There is also the weirdness with the grave/coffin scene, that is likely some form of mind control but if it is it is a form of magic even professor Karline can’t readily distinguish or identify, which is why I was thinking whoever mind controls the mc probably isn’t even human. Which is where Alder/the Elves may come into the picture as we know their magic is quite different from human magic.

1 Like