The Marked (WIP)

Maybe that is because, to my mc, Leon really comes across as a posh twat and Onas as a spoiled brat. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Might just be the mc’s grinding poverty colouring that perspective but right now that is how I see it.

I doubt it, the mc having an unfortunate accident won’t make Leon any less of a fancy idiot or Onas any less of a spoiled brat and it won’t make either any less a schoolboy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all honesty for my mc it will probably only make the issue worse. It’s one thing to be a poor peasant among your poor peasant peers and simply inherit the little sustenance farm. It is quite another to be the worst off among the super powered and the guy everybody else among our new peers takes a proverbial (well maybe literally too, depends on how bad hazing at that mandatory torture course for the marked is. :thinking: ) dump on.

Sure, but like I said, whatever “occupation” they plan to dump the spoiled mage brat in it will probably be very nice and cushy compared to the “great opportunity” they’re going to try and force on our poor mc’s.

3 Likes

Lmao ya know that’s because it’s all a matter of perspective :: grins :: but I wonder how that perspective might shift when a certain awakening occurs lol

1 Like

For the ideas about offensive light magic, perhaps people with the light affinity could do the opposite of healing and instead make wounds worse? It’d require an injury to have already happened but I feel that’d be an interesting mechanic

4 Likes

that sounds interesting and gorey. i love it lmao

1 Like

lol that seems more like a dark affinity ability, if anything, light offensive abilities should be similar to, if you ever played dragon age origins, templar magic?

3 Likes

Perhaps light affinities can’t cause injury but they can cause the pain or size of a wound to increase.

3 Likes

Even someone not physically inclined can knock an enemy to the ground if the opponent is disoriented in some way. A sudden bright flash of light can achieve this. A series of flashes could cause nausea (or other more serious conditions), then there’s the more defensive side of things where light bent in certain ways could create illusions, like doppelgangers to make it easier to slip away. In that same vein, if creating a doppelganger is possible, you could bend light to become “invisible” from certain angles.

I might be using science to solve a magical affinity issue, but as long as light projection, and concentration are skills a light aligned MC can utilize then it’s up to the author to decide on the hard limits of what should be okay in-universe. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

These are honestly all great ideas and I appreciate all of your suggestions!

I think a mix of these could definitely work. I don’t think it should be an issue altering the magic to instead harm rather than heal. Whether that’s making a wound worse or maybe even causing internal harm.

This is interesting! I think the only issue is that Templar’s abilities mostly focused on anti-magic (right? or has it been that long since I last played DA?:sob:) and I’ve given air Affinities the ability to use nullification magic.

I really like this idea. As it is, light and dark Affinities are very short ranged and require touch. But, I can see a light Affinity user touching an opponent and projecting images or flashes of light into their mind to temporarily confuse or cloud their vision (I don’t think it would be a stretch considering light Affinities can conjure visions of their own).

8 Likes

true, but several abilities come to mind when speaking of the templars, the ability to increase their mental resistance, and smiting enemies with holy fire, but if course you can can replace fire with some sort of light effect, and cleansing the area of magic, you could have this this cleanse the effects of dark affinity abilities in the near vicinity of the caster
those would be appropriate offensive light abilities if put in properly

1 Like

Seems pretty interesting, and certainly had an incredibly unique world building. Don’t get me wrong, I love elves and dwarves as much as the next gal, but something unique is always a breath of fresh air. The demo also had a pretty incredible length considering how new it is, so hat off to you for that.

3 Likes

Hmm, i think there’s a lot of light related abilities on superpower wiki. There’s light infusion (energy infusion ), light absorption, ion manipulation, illusion , etc.
You could check the rest on the wiki.

1 Like

This demo was fun! Just so you know, I got the control vial but there wasn’t an option to pick the Air affinity? Also, are Darkness MCs always meant to be evil? It seems like the ability to choose it is tied to the wicked stat, but since I have the choice because of the vial and my MC isn’t currently wicked, will I be forced to play a certain way by the narrative?

1 Like

I forgot about these!

I definitely like the idea of adding a type of light effect.

Thank you for the tip!

Oh, you’re right! Thanks for catching that, I’ll have to fix it tonight.

I don’t view wicked MCs as evil, but capable of making morally questionable decisions without issue. Since Affinities are determined by how Marked typically behave by nature, each one comes with certain assumptions. If you choose the dark Affinity via the divine/destiny potion, the only thing that will occur is characters thinking your MC is inclined to make immoral decisions (even if they aren’t). But even in general, most people know that though dark Affinities have no qualms about making these kinds of decisions, they don’t always do so. So don’t worry, your MC won’t be forced to play that way at all. It’s just that if you do decide to do something in line with the dark Affinity, no one will be surprised lol.

4 Likes

@Cyphr Thank you so much! I’m happy you liked it😁

Love this so far! Looking forward too more. So good

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.

12/07/23 Update

Hi everyone! it’s been a while, but I’ve added 49, 792 words to the update. There are a couple of changes:

• Additional scenes.
    • The first day home scene is complete. I’ve added the Affinity discovery, next day of class, a magic “lesson” with Elanil, Welling, Venali and Trivelyn as well as the revealing ceremony.
  • The ROs are now all gender selectable.
  • A few minor customization additions.
  • Some rewrites.

Please let me know if there are any issues!

37 Likes

I’m pleased to see you’re still working on your project and look forward to reading it once I can.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind comment. It’s taken me some time, but I’m always thinking about this game!

7 Likes