The knights apprentice

There is one good ending…One Bad endin…One Betrayal ending…And one super evil ending…

Rawr…I feel as if I should just find someone to do the coding for me…But then how would I learn…lol

Don’t worry too much about it. ChoiceScript is pretty easy to learn if you can get the hang of boolean (true/false) and numeric variables. I’m an absolutely incompetent coder, and I managed to get a good feel within a week.

Ive never coded before so imm a bit hesitant to try…I dont want to fail

Don’t give up it took me a very long time to get my head around some of the code. Its really not to complex. I just tend to drag my feet when I hear the word coding. Lol I think if I had put some effort into it I might have gotten it way sooner.

I learned CS by copying and experimenting with the coding examples and everything that was given on the http://www.choiceofgames.com/make-your-own-games/choicescript-intro/ page.

Alright…So Im gonna try doing coding this weekend…I will have the very beging Ready to post by Hopefully tonight…That way I can make sure im doing stuff right and you guys can get a chance to see the very begining…So yay…

Also…I have noticed that when I type it just keeps going down the page…Does that matter or should I try to condense it?

Doesnt matter dont worry about it

Alright…So I have gotten this far…

You wake up feeling grogy, you head feels cloudy and you frown.
It seems that last night you went out drinking, Though that isnt
uncommon for you,Your neck feels stuff and your groan as you pop
it loudly, As you get up you hear a Knock at your door, silently
you stand up and realise you are naked, Rushing over to where
you notice a closet, Another knock sounds at the door and you frown,
calling out you say “Hold on a momment!”
*Choice
#Confident and and strong, your voice deep and prepared.
You sound a bit groggy through sleep but it is clear
that you are a man.
*Finish
#Light and soft, your voice is obviously that of a female
but who cares right? Your world is that where any sex can
serve in any service so it does not mean a Thing.
*Finish

How do I get it to save the gender choice you make and have it influence the list of names that shall pop up next?

And also how do I go to the next scene?

A regent is for an absent or underage royal. Knights are low-level nobility (unless accompanying another title). Stewards can be any supervisor, but in the context of titles, it was for an away noble or royal.

An apprentice was someone training for a trade (smith, apothecary,:etc); below a journeyman. For knights, use page and squire.

@Greenwolf, first, I’d recommend reading through http://choicescriptdev.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_up_ChoiceScript
for a good overall sense of what goes where.

For this particular one, you should open up the “mygame.js” file (which will probably involve a right-click, going to “Open with…” and choosing Notepad or another editor – opening it by double-clicking won’t take you to an editor). You’ll see a section that starts with:

stats = {

Below it are a list of stats (I forget what the defaults are). Since you won’t be using those ones for your game, replace one of them with

male: true

Then go back to your scene. If the player chooses to be female, in your scene, you would
*set male false

Then later on in the game, you can start a section with
*if male = true

or just
*if male

to write scenes or text that only apply to male characters – like a choice of names – and

*if male = false

or just
*if not(male)

for scenes or text that only apply to female characters.

You might also want to create other stats in mygame.js for pronouns and gendered labels:

,he: "he"
    ,him: "him"
    ,his: "his"
    ,hers: "his"
    ,man: "man"
    ,boy: "boy"
    ,sir: "sir"

(Some people use shehe, herhim, herhis, hershis, womanman, etc. for these to remind themselves that they’re writing for either sex – but I prefer the shorter versions to save on typing).

If the player chooses to be female, you would then type in the scene:
*set he “she”
*set him “her”
*set his “her”
*set hers “hers”
*set man “woman”
*set boy “girl”
*set sir “madam”

Then you can write other people talking about the main character, using { } (and !{ } when you want a capital letter) to show the stat in the story when it’s played: “!{He} is a good {man}.” “!{Man}? I'd have called {him} a {boy}.... er. Sorry, {sir}. Didn’t realize you were listening.”

Finally, since you’re going for a gender-equal world (which is excellent), have a second look at the way you set up that choice of sex. The male voice gets adjectives like “strong,” “confident,” and “prepared,” that aren’t just descriptive of the physical difference in voice timbre, but say something positive about the person you’re describing. Those are missing from the description of the female voice. Since women’s voices also sound strong, confident, and prepared – not least in a world where there are no social restrictions on what they can do! – you might want to think about how you could take the value adjectives out of the choice and just stick to describing a physical difference.

Edit: oh, and to go to the next scene: the bit of mygame.js that starts with
nav = new SceneNavigator([
is a list of scenes. Replace the default scene names with the names of your scenes. Then when you write *finish, that scene should end and the next one in the list should start.

Firstly, thankyou for including both gender options.

#Confident and and strong, your voice deep and prepared. You sound a bit groggy through sleep but it is clear that you are a man.

#Light and soft, your voice is obviously that of a female but who cares right? Your world is that where any sex can serve in any service so it does not mean a Thing.

Hey Greenwolf, you have some unintentional sexism in there. You’ve described the male voice as having character traits. Confident. Strong. You’ve described the female voice in terms of its tone. Light and soft. Imagine switching them around? What would you think if someone described a male knight as having a light and soft voice? Would you think that would make him less commanding, less likely to be taken serious?

If you want tone, then may I suggest describing the male voice as baritone/tenor and the female voice as alto. If you’re determined to have a woman with a light, soft, possibly soprano voice as your female protagonist be aware that she will face discrimination and problems due to her voice. Which is, of course, completely unfair.

Now, I’d suggest just going for character traits for both of them. That lets the player fill in what their own voice sounds like. I’d just use confident and strong for both of them.

I also always thought that Knight’s Apprentices were called squires.

Also use “your voice is obviously that of a woman” as opposed to female.

Hahha oops. I’ve just read down and said that Havenstone’s said similar.

I apologize…It was late last night when I was writing this, So It was rather hard for me to come up with a easy way to intergrate whether or not you are a guy or lady, So I chose voices, When I woke up this morning and read back over what I wrote last night I was like Omg…I posted that on the internet! Lol, rest assured I have fixed that issue, And also thanks for the help

@greenwolf I’ve done that many a time. :slight_smile: I’ve often wanted to erase things I’ve posted on the internet wondering what insane depths lack of sleep drove me to. It’s all good.

I love the idea of your story. Will we get to persuade the Knight to take us as a squire? How old will we be at the start?

Alright…I can tell me brief summary of the plot did nothing but make you want more lol… The player has the option to be ether male or female, But the age will be fixed at around 16-17, And while you dont necicarily get to persuade the knight ((His name is william)) To take you on as a squire, You will relive the moment through a flash back in which you get to determin how you meet him, And if you are educated enough you will get a idea of who he possibly is…

It did! Don’t spoil anything though, make us want it in the game. I’m sure it’ll be an interesting game.